3.4 / 163 / URM

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
tectonic

3.4 / 163 / URM

Postby tectonic » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:08 am

Hello all,

My LSDAS undergraduate GPA is 3.4 (at an Ivy).

I have taken the LSAT once, in June 2011, and scored a 163. (I decided not to apply in the 2011 cycle due to financial reasons.)

I am a Mexican-American male, the first in my immediate family to attend college.

By the time I submit applications this winter, I will have had 2.5 years work experience in the non-profit sector. My work requires me to carry a great deal of responsibility, entails public service (I work directly with students in low-income urban school districts on issues like college access, financial aid, academic preparation, etc), and has a legal aspect to it (securing low-cost legal representation for students, assisting lawyers in communicating with students and navigating cases).

My questions:
1. What schools would you all suggest that I target?
2. What are my chances at the following schools: NYU, UC Berkeley, Georgetown, Northwestern, Cornell, UCLA, USC?

FYI ... I am re-taking the LSAT in a couple of weeks. I've done considerable additional preparation since the last time I took the exam, so I am fairly optimistic that I will score higher this time around. Of course, nothing is ever certain. Your answers to the above will at least give me a good starting point for school selection, regardless of how I do in October.

That provokes a follow-up question: How would it affect my chances if I retook in December again? At that point, it would be my 3rd testing. Would it be worth it, if I felt I could better upon my October performance? Or would it be useless and too close to the application deadline?

PDaddy

Re: 3.4 / 163 / URM

Postby PDaddy » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:19 am

I would blanket the T14 if I were you.

Your best shot schools are as follows: Columbia, Michigan, Penn, UVA, Duke, Northwestern, Cornell, GULC, UCLA, USC, Vandy, and Texas. Your chances at Berkeley and NYU are a little slimmer because they are GPA whores, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't apply to those schools. If you apply to the entire T14, I think you will be surprised. Some school at which you think you have a good shot will reject you, and a school you never thought would want you will admit or waitlist you (HYS, CCN, MVP?)

I know a Mexican-American with your same credentials who got into Stanford, and he did it when the competition was much tougher (2008). As a matter of fact, yours are better. He came from a Cal St. school whereas you are from an Ivy.

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:20 am

PDaddy wrote: I know a Mexican-American with your same credentials who got into Stanford, and he did it when the competition was much tougher (2008). As a matter of fact, yours are better. He came from a Cal St. school whereas you are from an Ivy.

WOW. How did he pull that off? Work experience? Scholar? Published writer? That's amazing.

tectonic

Postby tectonic » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:21 am

Thanks P. That's extremely encouraging.

Follow-up question: what schools do you think would actually offer me scholarship money? Any? Or does my GPA preclude me from that?

Also, if anyone else wants to chime in with a second opinion, I'd love that.

tectonic

Postby tectonic » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:47 pm

Bump.

Retook and scored a 167.

Also, while CAS hasn't received my transcripts yet, I have found that my GPA is probably actually going to be 3.3X rather than 3.4.

Anyone have any second opinions to offer?

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:02 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
PDaddy wrote: I know a Mexican-American with your same credentials who got into Stanford, and he did it when the competition was much tougher (2008). As a matter of fact, yours are better. He came from a Cal St. school whereas you are from an Ivy.

WOW. How did he pull that off? Work experience? Scholar? Published writer? That's amazing.

I don't know. I believe his creds were 3.4X/164 with good softs and essays. I also never read his LOR's. The point is that it can be done.

Postby 20121109 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:12 pm

Per request of OP, moved to URM forum.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”