Too late to apply this cycle? AA male aiming for HYS...

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Alltheirsplendor

Too late to apply this cycle? AA male aiming for HYS...

Postby Alltheirsplendor » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:03 pm

AA male here. Decent state school. 3.7x UGPA. I was wondering what some of the more seasoned members thought about my chances this cycle if I took the LSAT in December. I'm scoring in the early 170s, but I think I need time--more time than taking it in October would allow--to ENSURE a 170+. If my goal is HYS, would applying in December be too late? Should I just suck it up and sit down in October? Any input is appreciated.

twenty

Re: Too late to apply this cycle? AA male aiming for HYS...

Postby twenty » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:08 pm

Whatever you feel more comfortable with. If it were me and I wasn't completely comfortable with my score range just yet, I'd wait until December. URM admission cycles can be significantly more forgiving of late applicants (not that late December is "late", more like "on time."). Look at LSN. Even URMs that seem like autoadmits to HYS don't usually get callbacks until around April.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:14 pm

Take in December. Apply HYSCCN. If you don't get HYS or a full ride to CCN, reapply.

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:25 pm

Yup. But don't take my word for it, look at LSN (with the exception of Duke priority track and maybe Cornell.) The URMs that are admitted fairly quickly are over both medians. For H/Y, this is 173, and for CCN and then some, that's between 170 and 172. Gaia seems to confirm this on her sticky.

Also, I’ve seen URMs wait longer than non-URM candidates for eventual admission. A lot of URMs are below median for either their LSAT or GPA and it is not unreasonable to think that adcomms want to cement their medians and 75%iles before accepting candidates with lesser numbers. So please, be patient! I know it can be torture but just remember a slow yes is always better than a fast no.

With things being the way they are, I really don't think it makes that much of a difference for URMs if they apply in early Jan versus late October, since no one important makes decisions on URMs until April or later.

EDIT> You may be different, though, since you're above everyone's GPA median, which is a bit of a rarity for AA males. I wouldn't be at all surprised if you got a interview from H before Jan.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:36 pm

Could URMs get away with taking the Feb LSAT then?

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:01 pm

Be careful about over-extrapolating that, Bizzy. You're fairly unlikely to get dinged until late Feb at the earliest, and unlikely to get admitted until April, but that doesn't mean you should sit on your hands and do nothing until Feb administration. At the very least, I sit out October (assuming you're not read) would try for December, get a waitlist-able score, and retake in Feb. Many schools don't take Feb LSATs, so only use that one if you really think you could have done better since December.

Worm, I saw a couple people on LSN get into Harvard after applying like, three weeks before (AAs above both medians). I don't think Florida Coastal's admissions process is that fast. So maybe not too much of a generalization. :p

Davidbentley

Postby Davidbentley » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:04 pm

The general thought is that HYS wait until the very end and have a "URM wave." That said, I got into H pretty early in the process and waited until mid april to hear anything else. My application was not complete for S until late January. So, I highly doubt you'll be too late in the grand scheme of things. But, Jam's advice is the clear best practice here.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”