GAIA’s Guide to URM Admissions, 1L and OCI Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
BlaqBella

Silver

Re: GAIA’s Guide to URM Admissions, 1L and OCI

Post by BlaqBella » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:32 pm

azjhawk05 wrote:Thank you so much for posting all of this information. I am a 29yr old black male who has a masters in higher ed. I have been working for 4 years post grad school, and also worked for child protective services for 2 years following undergrad.
I really would like to go into educational law, and am interested to know what my prospects may be for ls admission which my current resume. I have a 3.1 ug gpa and a 3.9 grad school gpa. I decided this week to do some research and have found information on TLS amazingly helpful. Thank you for all of the hard work you have put in, and for giving back to this forum with your knowledge.
Welcome!

What's your LSAT score? Have you taken the test yet?

azjhawk05

New

Post by azjhawk05 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:41 pm

No I have yet to take my LSAT, I am more wondering if I scored around a 155-160 if my chances would be competitive for a decent ls

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:44 pm

azjhawk05 wrote:No I have yet to take my LSAT, I am more wondering if I scored around a 155-160 if my chances would be competitive for a decent ls
It depends on what you consider as decent and where you desire going. Any dream schools?

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:46 pm

azjhawk05 wrote:Thank you so much for posting all of this information. I am a 29yr old black male who has a masters in higher ed. I have been working for 4 years post grad school, and also worked for child protective services for 2 years following undergrad.
I really would like to go into educational law, and am interested to know what my prospects may be for ls admission with my current resume. I have a 3.1 ug gpa and a 3.9 grad school gpa. I decided this week to do some research and have found information on TLS amazingly helpful. Thank you for all of the hard work you have put in, and for giving back to this forum with your knowledge.
To echo BlaqBella <3, Welcome!! :)

Though you have a strong grad school GPA, law schools only care about your undergraduate GPA. Your 3.1 GPA is not bad at all, but if you feel like your UGPA is no longer reflective of your abilities, especially given the long time since you graduated, feel free to write an addendum. Definitely write one if you have a semester or two that seem anomalous.

Also, I can't really judge your chances without a LSAT score!! When you have one, please let me know and I will be more than happy to help you! I can only give you speculative advice based on a speculative LSAT score, and that doesn't really help anyone! You really need to aim higher! Don't settle for a 155-160! Always aim for a 180, URM or not. If you want a chance at the T14, you need at least 160. But like I said, aim as high as you can! [edited 11/13/2012]

Finally, I see you worked in CPS after undergrad but what kind of work experience do you have post grad school? Strong work experience may help too!

azjhawk05

New

Post by azjhawk05 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:53 pm

For the past 4 years post grad school I have actually worked as a complex director in residence life at a university in wisconsin. I run a hall that is comprised of 600 students. I supervise 18 undergraduate students and 1 graduate student. My work mostly entails supervisions, as well a judicial peace where I hear cases of students who were documented for breaking policies int he residence halls.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:24 pm

azjhawk05 wrote:For the past 4 years post grad school I have actually worked as a complex director in residence life at a university in wisconsin. I run a hall that is comprised of 600 students. I supervise 18 undergraduate students and 1 graduate student. My work mostly entails supervisions, as well a judicial peace where I hear cases of students who were documented for breaking policies int he residence halls.
Forgive the late reply!

Though your work history is admirable, it is unlikely to make any difference in the admissions process. Definitely highlight your leadership and interpersonal skills on your resume, however.

How did you do on the LSAT? Feel free to PM me! :)

toshiroh

Bronze

Post by toshiroh » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:08 am

Wormfather wrote:Gaia, if you read this, I just want to thank you on behalf of all of us for all you've done. You've done so much to help so many of us. I wish you the best of luck wherever you wind up in life.

This x10 I would have never known about any of the opportunities for URMs without you.

hume85

Silver

Post by hume85 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:19 am

I am a white male, and I find this thread useful. Thank you.

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:21 pm

Glad to see this back. Thanks Admin/mods! :mrgreen:

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:56 am

BlaqBella wrote:Glad to see this back. Thanks Admin/mods! :mrgreen:

blackandstrong

Bronze

Post by blackandstrong » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:40 am

Why doesn't Gaia accept pms anymore?

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:11 am

20121109 wrote:Coming Soon.... <3

1L Summer

URM OCI

2L Summer

It is my sincerest hope that one of the aforementioned mods can take up the mantle by addressing the remaining sub-categories noted above.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:29 am

BlaqBella wrote:

1L Summer

URM OCI

2L Summer

It is my sincerest hope that one of the aforementioned mods can take up the mantle by addressing the remaining sub-categories noted above.
Actually, I was hoping that all of the posters in this forum would work together to address those topics in an on-going, expanding way, based on personal experiences. (i.e., The more 1L Summer experiences posted, the better: get as much information and as many ideas/tips/POVs as possible on this stuff.) Just my humble opinion.

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:46 am

nygrrrl wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:

1L Summer

URM OCI

2L Summer

Actually, I was hoping that all of the posters in this forum would work together to address those topics in an on-going, expanding way, based on personal experiences. (i.e., The more 1L Summer experiences posted, the better: get as much information and as many ideas/tips/POVs as possible on this stuff.) Just my humble opinion.
While I agree with relaying information based on personal experiences, I'm not quite sure how getting all posters to post of their 1L and 2L summer experiences would differentiate from the 1L and 2L summer experiences already discussed ad nauseum in other sub-forums of TLS (for example, "Ask a Law Student" or "Legal Employment").

The point being that this guide was created in the URM forum for URMs and by a URM who thought it prudent enough to create a thread discussing the various aspects of the law school experience and the opportunities afforded to us as both a URM applicant and student. It is my hope TLS contributors do not divert from this purpose.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:08 pm

BlaqBella wrote: The point being that this guide was created in the URM forum for URMs and by a URM who thought it prudent enough to create a thread discussing the various aspects of the law school experience and the opportunities afforded to us as both a URM applicant and student. It is my hope TLS contributors do not divert from this purpose.
We're saying the same thing, Bella.
So... sounds to me like this thread might have a de facto new leader. :wink:

ETA: (Please note, I never suggested that everyone on TLS post their experiences in this Guide. I specifically said, "all of the posters in this forum." This is a tremendous, unique resource - my hope is that the (URM) users can keep it a living, giving thing.)

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:29 pm

Wormfather wrote:I agree with both of you. I guess I'm being a bit selfish, some of us 0Ls and 1Ls would love to have that info before hand, unfortunately it seems like most of the people in this forum are 0Ls with no experience and looking for guidance.

GAIA was blazing the path, she'd been where we're going.

As a URM you get to this forum and its a shock a total "WTF how did I not know this, that and the other thing". Eventually you say, wtf else is there that I dont know...GAIA was giving the answers to those questions.

I'm hoping that maybe Nova might be willing to take the mantle. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.
Yup. All of this. The more people who've been through it, who can offer that inside knowledge and guidance, the better. (I'm looking at you in 2 years, Worm. Wink wink, nudge nudge.)
Tell you what, let me reach out to some of the older URM posters, people I went through the admissions cycle with, see if they can come in and add to the Knowledge Bank. Cool?

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:39 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
Wormfather wrote:I agree with both of you. I guess I'm being a bit selfish, some of us 0Ls and 1Ls would love to have that info before hand, unfortunately it seems like most of the people in this forum are 0Ls with no experience and looking for guidance.

GAIA was blazing the path, she'd been where we're going.

As a URM you get to this forum and its a shock a total "WTF how did I not know this, that and the other thing". Eventually you say, wtf else is there that I dont know...GAIA was giving the answers to those questions.

I'm hoping that maybe Nova might be willing to take the mantle. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.
Yup. All of this. The more people who've been through it, who can offer that inside knowledge and guidance, the better. (I'm looking at you in 2 years, Worm. Wink wink, nudge nudge.)
Tell you what, let me reach out to some of the older URM posters, people I went through the admissions cycle with, see if they can come in and add to the Knowledge Bank. Cool?
Thanks!

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:48 pm

Council on Legal Education Opportunity (CLEO)

Please see the website and thread.

This opportunity differs from SEO in that it's a pre-law prep program rather than an immediate job opportunity. I'm very ambivalent about pre-law programs, especially ones that come with a hefty price ($2000 for six weeks). I'm not saying this program is without merit, but I truly feel TLS and similar resources are more than adequate to hit the ground running in 1L.
Hey All. As a follow up, I know GAIA mentioned CLEO with respect to their their above six-week program, but also wanted to note that they have an Attitude-is-Essential (A.I.E.) weekend seminar that my good friend attended last year and found extremely helpful prior to her starting 1L. There is a $100 fee, but not sure if it can be waived. May be worth inquiring on this.

Here is CLEO's other website:

http://www.cleodivercitynetwork.org/

And the AIE link:

http://www.cleodivercitynetwork.org/ind ... 3&nodeID=1

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:37 pm

Wormfather wrote: I'm hoping that maybe Nova might be willing to take the mantle. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.
Thanks, Worm. I will do my best to contribute in every way I can as I go through the process. :mrgreen:

I'm looking forward to being more active after finals.

Ebonytree

New

Post by Ebonytree » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:37 pm

[MOD EDIT]

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:10 pm

Either troll or someone attempting to test out the system. Either way: get the fuck out, asshole.

icanbeohyes

Bronze

Post by icanbeohyes » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:02 am

URM Here. I just read about the SEO program and I am highly interested. However, it has been stated that is mainly for T-14 admits and I have yet to hear back from a T-14 school in general, but I have gotten into a T-20.
So I was wondering it would be worth sending out an app at this point. Most likely, well-qualified applicants have already sent in their apps earlier in the cycle and it's mid-Jan already.

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:50 am

icanbeohyes wrote:URM Here. I just read about the SEO program and I am highly interested. However, it has been stated that is mainly for T-14 admits and I have yet to hear back from a T-14 school in general, but I have gotten into a T-20.
So I was wondering it would be worth sending out an app at this point. Most likely, well-qualified applicants have already sent in their apps earlier in the cycle and it's mid-Jan already.
Did you check out the videos of testimonies on the SEO's Corporate Law website?

There are SEO scholars who will be attending schools outside the T-14 that relayed their experiences (one SEO scholar had plans to attend USC, for example).

Though SEO prefers T-14 acceptances/seat deposits they do make exceptions.

I ,for one, would not make a decision to NOT apply if all of my T-14 applications are still pending. Also, its not too late to apply. Send your app in ASAP! Good luck!

lawschoolhopeful2014

New

Post by lawschoolhopeful2014 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:57 pm

Wow, thank you so much for this information GAIA. I hear so much information (both positive and negative) about URM's and African Americans specifically when it comes to law school applications. This was very helpful to me and I'm hoping I can use some of this knowledge for my cycle. I could use more helpful information. Thanks!

Cincere El Lider

New

Post by Cincere El Lider » Sun May 05, 2013 3:48 pm

Wow! this is soo helpful.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”