Chances for Hispanic Female splitter

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
fasterpckk

Chances for Hispanic Female splitter

Postby fasterpckk » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:40 pm

Not sure if I'm technically a splitter, but my GPA is 3.5 and I've been PTing in the (very) low 150s. The LSAT has been frustrating for me since I do feel like I've put in the time (followed pithypike's guide since may) but haven't improved my score much since last summer. Anyway, that's not the point - I'm taking the test in October. Do I have a chance getting into Drexel or Temple? Their avg LSAT scores are 159 and 160, respectively. How much of a gap should I expect the URM boost fill?

Note: I am open to waiting until December to take the test, but that's not the answer I'm looking for. I want to know my prospects taking the test in October. I do have a life I need to get back to after putting everything on the back burner the past few months.

twenty

Re: Chances for Hispanic Female splitter

Postby twenty » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:42 pm

By hispanic, do you mean MA or PR? Otherwise you won't be getting any boost.

Also, you're not going anywhere fun with a 160 and a 3.5, even as a URM. Drexel and Temple are not worth going to for less than 105k, and you probably won't get that much.

I know you have a life outside of prepping for the LSAT, but you have to realize a 167 will make a massive difference over a 160 for your cycle. Even if you can't get that score until June, it's better to sit out this cycle than go this cycle with that bad of a score.

fasterpckk

Postby fasterpckk » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:48 pm

Mexican. And while I don't really think its necessary for you to chime in on what you think is "fun," I happen to really enjoy Temple and I like living in Philly. The debt prospect is not an issue. So with that said, do you think I'm in or out?

dowu

Postby dowu » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:05 pm

fasterpckk wrote:Mexican. And while I don't really think its necessary for you to chime in on what you think is "fun," I happen to really enjoy Temple and I like living in Philly. The debt prospect is not an issue. So with that said, do you think I'm in or out?

I'm not sure what the median LSAT is for Temple, but I'd imagine that as long as your LSAT score is over that, you'll be in.

twenty

Postby twenty » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:15 pm

fasterpckk wrote:And while I don't really think its necessary for you to chime in on what you think is "fun," I happen to really enjoy Temple and I like living in Philly. The debt prospect is not an issue. So with that said, do you think I'm in or out?

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/tmack002

@Temple: You get less of a boost than this guy being MA, but he has a lower GPA, so I'm thinking you're about even. You'll also get instate tuition, so supposing you can get 30k over 3 years, you're paying roughly 25k a year (remaining tuition, fees, R/B, etc.) so you're looking at about 60k + interest in debt.

Now. --LinkRemoved--

You know things are bad when only half the grads get legal full time jobs, and about a fifth of those are school funded (barely above minimum wage). I wouldn't go to Temple for free. LST predicts 150k for COA, so I'm naively assuming a 30k~ scholarship will help you that tremendously.

As far as not worrying about the debt, 1) you're still wasting money and 2) if you're not worried about throwing down this much money for a school that has a coin-flip chance of even getting you a legal job, you're not thinking about this as much as you should be.

So yeah, shame on me.

twenty

Postby twenty » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:20 pm

I'm also going to point out that I'm a URM MA with a 160 LSAT. Sometimes the nuances of English throws me for a loop, and while that's unfortunate for you/I, it's the way it is. I'll be retaking in October and potentially retaking in December. I'm not being hard to make you feel bad (well, maybe a little), I'm being hard because you're making a mad dash towards a really bad idea that could otherwise be prevented. We do get a boost, and that's all the more incentive to work harder on the LSAT, not to try and slide in.

For what it's worth, I'm now PTing around 175.

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:53 pm

fasterpckk wrote:Not sure if I'm technically a splitter, but my GPA is 3.5 and I've been PTing in the (very) low 150s. The LSAT has been frustrating for me since I do feel like I've put in the time (followed pithypike's guide since may) but haven't improved my score much since last summer. Anyway, that's not the point - I'm taking the test in October. Do I have a chance getting into Drexel or Temple? Their avg LSAT scores are 159 and 160, respectively. How much of a gap should I expect the URM boost fill?

Note: I am open to waiting until December to take the test, but that's not the answer I'm looking for. I want to know my prospects taking the test in October. I do have a life I need to get back to after putting everything on the back burner the past few months.

Yeah you have a chance at both with about 155. Dont go to freaking Drexel though. You can do sooo much better. The LSAT is the only thing standing in your way.

I would recommend retaking the LSAT in December if you do not crack 160. If you can crack the median LSAT at those schools, then you will be in the running for big scholarships (like 100k).

fasterpckk

Postby fasterpckk » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:54 pm

Nova wrote:
fasterpckk wrote:Not sure if I'm technically a splitter, but my GPA is 3.5 and I've been PTing in the (very) low 150s. The LSAT has been frustrating for me since I do feel like I've put in the time (followed pithypike's guide since may) but haven't improved my score much since last summer. Anyway, that's not the point - I'm taking the test in October. Do I have a chance getting into Drexel or Temple? Their avg LSAT scores are 159 and 160, respectively. How much of a gap should I expect the URM boost fill?

Yeah you have a chance at both with about 155. Dont go to freaking Drexel though. You can do sooo much better. The LSAT is the only thing standing in your way.

I would recommend retaking the LSAT in December if you do not crack 160. If you can crack the median LSAT at those schools, then you will be in the running for big scholarships (like 100k).

Thank you. Retest in December sounds like a good idea.

nmare

Postby nmare » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:20 pm

fasterpckk wrote:Mexican. And while I don't really think its necessary for you to chime in on what you think is "fun," I happen to really enjoy Temple and I like living in Philly. The debt prospect is not an issue. So with that said, do you think I'm in or out?

If you like Philly, retake and go for a 167+ to up your chances at upenn. No need to get pissy with someone that's trying to help you out.

fasterpckk

Postby fasterpckk » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:56 am

If I get in the 167 range I might as well go to Temple for free. I'm sorry that I sound cross to you, but I am not someone who needs a T14 school to be happy, nor am I interested in going to that type of school. I've lingered around these boards for a while, so I've noticed the bias between posters who are all about T14 versus the rest of the general population who does not care/does not have the grades. I'll find employment regardless and I'm pretty content at Temple. I just wanted to hear some prospects as to whether or not I'm currently at a place to get in. Not where you think I should go instead. :D

nmare

Postby nmare » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:05 am

fasterpckk wrote: I'll find employment regardless and I'm pretty content at Temple. I just wanted to hear some prospects as to whether or not I'm currently at a place to get in. Not where you think I should go instead. :D

--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--

You may find employment, but it's a coin flip between a job in the legal profession and a position in another field. I mean hey, it's great that it doesn't take as much to satisfy your educational and career goals compared to others, but don't let that affect a detrimental, lifetime decision. The majority of students who pursue admission into a T14 school do it for more than prestige.. the numbers are obvious and don't lie.

twenty

Postby twenty » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:06 pm

fasterpckk wrote:I'll find employment regardless

Unless you have a contact with a small firm that has explicitly offered you a job once you graduate law school, this is probably not true.

edit> nmare puts it more eloquently.

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:36 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:
fasterpckk wrote:I'll find employment regardless

Unless you have a contact with a small firm that has explicitly offered you a job once you graduate law school, this is probably not true.

edit> nmare puts it more eloquently.

Dude, unemployment is like 8%. She may not find long term full time JD required employment, but she will very likely be employed.

Even if she was talking about LT FT JDR employment, Temple still places over half their grads in those kinds of positions....

twenty

Postby twenty » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:05 pm

Nova wrote:Dude, unemployment is like 8%. She may not find long term full time JD required employment, but she will very likely be employed.

Even if she was talking about LT FT JDR employment, Temple still places over half their grads in those kinds of positions....

--LinkRemoved--

I'm confused; LST is thinking 28% for under/un-employment, unless you're talking about Drexel, which is more like 37% under/un. And when 10% at Temple are school funded...

Call me crazy, but if I were to spend three years of my life, the lost income I could have been earning even if I'd gotten a job as a secretary, and whatever debt I have to take out to cover COL, even Temple or Drexel for free seem like less than top-notch options.

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:34 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:
Nova wrote:Dude, unemployment is like 8%. She may not find long term full time JD required employment, but she will very likely be employed.

--LinkRemoved--

I'm confused; LST is thinking 28% for under/un-employment, unless you're talking about Drexel, which is more like 37% under/un. And when 10% at Temple are school funded...

Call me crazy, but if I were to spend three years of my life, the lost income I could have been earning even if I'd gotten a job as a secretary, and whatever debt I have to take out to cover COL, even Temple or Drexel for free seem like less than top-notch options.

Im talking about national unemployment. Yes, lots of Temple grads are underemployed. Those are the risks involved with attending a T2 school.

Its cool you want to be a crusader against T2s but OP already said she wants to go to Temple and that she is not interested in TLSers opinions of the school or the situation.

I know you just want to encourage her to put herself in the best position she can. But there is a huge gap between Penn and the Pennsylvania T2s. If she wants to stay local, really wants to practice law, and can not get into Penn, then Temple is a reasonable choice. Its importaint to understand the risks going in, but thats not what this thread is about. Its a chance thread.

fasterpckk

Postby fasterpckk » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:37 pm

Nova pretty much hit the nail on the head. Twentypercentmore, there's really no reason for you to reply at this point, as you've gotten off topic several times and failed to offer a straightforward opinion regarding my OP. If you want to stay off topic, here's my .02: Yes, you are crazy for thinking going to an extremely well-regarded law school in Philadelphia (where the vast majority of successful lawyers in this city have graduated from) for FREE is a less than stellar option. I would hate to have your outlook on life because there is so much more out there regardless of the school you go to.

twenty

Postby twenty » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:24 pm

fasterpckk wrote:failed to offer a straightforward opinion regarding my OP.

You're probably thinking of that other guy that said:

@Temple: You get less of a boost than this guy being MA, but he has a lower GPA, so I'm thinking you're about even. You'll also get instate tuition, so supposing you can get 30k over 3 years, you're paying roughly 25k a year (remaining tuition, fees, R/B, etc.) so you're looking at about 60k + interest in debt.

Oh wait, that was me.

Also, don't bait me. I certainly don't have a vested interest in what you do with your life, nor do I have any intention of force-feeding you facts by trying to beat you over the head with them. I made my case, you don't like what you're hearing, fine. Heck, a little over half the grads from Temple end up with full time legal jobs, and that could easily be you.

nmare

Postby nmare » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:13 pm

fasterpckk wrote:Yes, you are crazy for thinking going to an extremely well-regarded law school in Philadelphia (where the vast majority of successful lawyers in this city have graduated from) for FREE is a less than stellar option.

Don't assume the legal market is the same now as it was a decade ago. Hell, even just as recently as a few years ago the market was flourishing when comparing it to today. A person who graduated in that time-frame was fortunate enough to have much better options than we do.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”