Taking the test Oct. or Dec. this year? Please help

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
StrawHat__
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:29 am

Taking the test Oct. or Dec. this year? Please help

Postby StrawHat__ » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:27 pm

I have been studying since mid May for this years LSAT. Everything has been going well but recently as I have been taking sections of LR I noticed a reduction in my scores from 6-9 wrong to 9-11 wrong. I have a 2.96 gpa, male and african american. I would love to go to a top 15 law school but am not sure if it is possible unless I score a 170+. Should I continue to drill and take the test in October or wait until December?

Thank you

Please I would really appreciate some advice.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Taking the test Oct. or Dec. this year? Please help

Postby Nova » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:30 pm

T15?? So you want to go to UCLA but not UT, Vandy, GW, UMN, or USC? Youll most likely get into UT/USC/UMN/GW with a 167, UCLA with a 168, and Vandy with a 169. (medians). Out side shot at the lower T14 with upper 160s too. Good shot at many T14 schools if you hit median...

If you are not scoring in the upper 160s, you should probably hold off till Dec.

StrawHat__
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:29 am

Re: Taking the test Oct. or Dec. this year? Please help

Postby StrawHat__ » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:12 am

Wormfather wrote:Without more info, I would say December.

You will probably need a 167+ and a killer addendum for that GPA. Also, if you haven't graduated yet you may want to sit out this cycle and get that GPA above 3.0.

What question types are you struggling with?


Thanks for the recommendation. Yeah Im hoping to hit high 160s into 170. I seem to struggle the most with Parallels, and Principles and sometimes Must Be True. I already graduated.

Nova wrote:T15?? So you want to go to UCLA but not UT, Vandy, GW, UMN, or USC? Youll most likely get into UT/USC/UMN/GW with a 167, UCLA with a 168, and Vandy with a 169. (medians). Out side shot at the lower T14 with upper 160s too. Good shot at many T14 schools if you hit median...

If you are not scoring in the upper 160s, you should probably hold off till Dec.


Thanks, that gives me a little hope haha, I REALLY want a T14.

StrawHat__
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:29 am

Re: Taking the test Oct. or Dec. this year? Please help

Postby StrawHat__ » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:48 pm

Wormfather wrote:
I seem to struggle the most with Parallels, and Principles and sometimes Must Be True


Those are three of the toughest. I would say that with the first two, maybe try and abstract the theory:

John cannot raise more money for his charity, instead laying off all the workers or significantly reducing the amount of work the charity does, John will instead let go of a few workers and make slight reductions in the help the charity offers.

Instead of trying to map out a principle, a good idea might be to say "If there is a problem that could be solved by one of two extreme options, sometimes it may be better to do a little from both" And then go in and try to match the abstract along with strength (But for a problem like that you have to be careful for the option that has someone doing BOTH extreme options.)

Must be True is just something you kind of have to drill and work on conditional logic.


Thanks, that helped a bit. Principle are quite tricky at times but I will put that abstract thought into my drills.

As far as Must Be True's my issue is for some of the conditional logic questions I tend to lose track of time trying to draw out a condition, then not efficiently putting it to use. So for Must Be True I just go about it all from my head and Powerscores formula of choosing an answer choice that is only stated from the stimulus. Other than that I have been taking sections and plan on taking 2-3 full LSATs a week until test day.

I really do appreciate your help.

StrawHat__
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:29 am

Re: Taking the test Oct. or Dec. this year? Please help

Postby StrawHat__ » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:50 pm

Nova wrote:T15?? So you want to go to UCLA but not UT, Vandy, GW, UMN, or USC? Youll most likely get into UT/USC/UMN/GW with a 167, UCLA with a 168, and Vandy with a 169. (medians). Out side shot at the lower T14 with upper 160s too. Good shot at many T14 schools if you hit median...

If you are not scoring in the upper 160s, you should probably hold off till Dec.



And to answer that question, I would love to go to USC or GW haha, honestly I have spent most of my time studying to get into the schools than doing research on them. Im hoping I can push to my peak by December by continuously drilling.

User avatar
EvilClinton
Posts: 342
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:45 pm

Re: Taking the test Oct. or Dec. this year? Please help

Postby EvilClinton » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:23 pm

StrawHat__ wrote:I have been studying since mid May for this years LSAT. Everything has been going well but recently as I have been taking sections of LR I noticed a reduction in my scores from 6-9 wrong to 9-11 wrong. I have a 2.96 gpa, male and african american. I would love to go to a top 15 law school but am not sure if it is possible unless I score a 170+. Should I continue to drill and take the test in October or wait until December?

Thank you

Please I would really appreciate some advice.


Are you still in school? Is there any way to improve that gpa?

StrawHat__
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:29 am

Re: Taking the test Oct. or Dec. this year? Please help

Postby StrawHat__ » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:59 pm

EvilClinton wrote:
StrawHat__ wrote:I have been studying since mid May for this years LSAT. Everything has been going well but recently as I have been taking sections of LR I noticed a reduction in my scores from 6-9 wrong to 9-11 wrong. I have a 2.96 gpa, male and african american. I would love to go to a top 15 law school but am not sure if it is possible unless I score a 170+. Should I continue to drill and take the test in October or wait until December?

Thank you

Please I would really appreciate some advice.


Are you still in school? Is there any way to improve that gpa?



Unfortunately, no =(...I've tried out all scenarios but they would just get me only a bit closer to a 3.0 and would cost more money that I dont have. What are my hopes of getting into a T14 with my GPA?

StrawHat__
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:29 am

Re: Taking the test Oct. or Dec. this year? Please help

Postby StrawHat__ » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:40 pm

Any more feedback? What my chances are at a T14?

User avatar
BlaqBella
Posts: 869
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:41 am

Re: Taking the test Oct. or Dec. this year? Please help

Postby BlaqBella » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:12 am

StrawHat__ wrote:Any more feedback? What my chances are at a T14?


http://lawschoolnumbers.com/acardinalheel/jd
URM Male
GPA: 2.75
LSAT: 167
Accepted: NW, GWU, American
WL then Accepted: Duke

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/lawwoman
URM female
GPA: 2.92
LSAT: 169
WL then Accepted: GWU, UC-Davis, UC-Hastings
WL (ED): UCLA

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/tryingtowin
URM male
GPA: 2.96
LSAT: 160
Accepted: Cardozo, Washington & Lee
WL: GW, WUSTL, W&M,

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/apeach/jd
AA female
GPA:2.83
LSAT: 163
Accepted: GWU, W&M
WL: Georgetown, Cornell

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/ironflag/jd
AA male:
GPA: 2.89
LSAT: 165
Accepted: USC, W&M,
WL: Duke, Georgetown, UTexas, Vandy, Cornell


You have a shot at lower T-14 and right outside T-14. You really need to focus your attention on getting 165+ on the LSATs. The fact that URMs with similar numbers are waitlisted is proof that for some T-14s, they won't reject you outright. With other strong components (LORs, statements, addendums) and need be an LOCI, who knows what may happen?

That said, GWU seems more favorable than USC in admitting URMs with your GPA.

StrawHat__
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:29 am

Re: Taking the test Oct. or Dec. this year? Please help

Postby StrawHat__ » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:05 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
StrawHat__ wrote:Any more feedback? What my chances are at a T14?


http://lawschoolnumbers.com/acardinalheel/jd
URM Male
GPA: 2.75
LSAT: 167
Accepted: NW, GWU, American
WL then Accepted: Duke

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/lawwoman
URM female
GPA: 2.92
LSAT: 169
WL then Accepted: GWU, UC-Davis, UC-Hastings
WL (ED): UCLA

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/tryingtowin
URM male
GPA: 2.96
LSAT: 160
Accepted: Cardozo, Washington & Lee
WL: GW, WUSTL, W&M,

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/apeach/jd
AA female
GPA:2.83
LSAT: 163
Accepted: GWU, W&M
WL: Georgetown, Cornell

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/ironflag/jd
AA male:
GPA: 2.89
LSAT: 165
Accepted: USC, W&M,
WL: Duke, Georgetown, UTexas, Vandy, Cornell


You have a shot at lower T-14 and right outside T-14. You really need to focus your attention on getting 165+ on the LSATs. The fact that URMs with similar numbers are waitlisted is proof that for some T-14s, they won't reject you outright. With other strong components (LORs, statements, addendums) and need be an LOCI, who knows what may happen?

That said, GWU seems more favorable than USC in admitting URMs with your GPA.



Thank you so much!! This really gives me hope to get into a good law school. I'm greatful for ur opinion on it and makes me want to work harder to get that 165+. As far as recommendations I am getting one from the VP of a construction firm I have worked for for over 4 years, an internship with the AG and 2 reccs from teachers at my university. I need to work on my addendum and statements.

User avatar
BlaqBella
Posts: 869
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:41 am

Re: Taking the test Oct. or Dec. this year? Please help

Postby BlaqBella » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:36 am

StrawHat__ wrote:Thank you so much!! This really gives me hope to get into a good law school. I'm greatful for ur opinion on it and makes me want to work harder to get that 165+. As far as recommendations I am getting one from the VP of a construction firm I have worked for for over 4 years, an internship with the AG and 2 reccs from teachers at my university. I need to work on my addendum and statements.


Seeing how you have work experience, throw an app to Northwestern too.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/acardinalheel/jd
GPA: 2.75
LSAT: 167

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/satajo/jd
GPA: 2.87
LSAT: 167




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests