Diversity statement & law

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Woods

Diversity statement & law

Postby Woods » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:37 am

Does the diversity statement has to connect to law school and prove that I will be a good candidate?
Can it just be my different experiences?
Thanks!
Last edited by Woods on Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PDaddy

Re: Diversity statement relevance

Postby PDaddy » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:54 am

Woods wrote:Does the diversity statement has to connect to law school and prove that I will be a good candidate?
Can it just be my different experiences?
Thanks!

A diversity statement is essentially a second crack at a personal statement, and you should approach it as such. That does not necessarily mean writing an long essay, but it does mean applying to your DS the same attention and care you give to every other part of your application.

Everything you write should assist the reader in reaching the conclusion that they should vote to admit you. The best writers can do this without being so obvious. If you have to tell an adcom out loud that you "should be admitted because..." you have done a poor job.

Inject appeals to authority (Ethos), appeals to emotion (Pathos), symbols and motifs (Mythos), and the use of logic (Logos) into your stories, and you will accomplish your goal. Use a straight narrative with active voice.

Passive voice: I was hit by a car.

Active voice: The car hit me.

I have assisted many students in getting into law schools all over the country, and I tell them all the same thing: you don't have to tell "the whole story", but you must tell "a complete story"; there's a difference between the two.

Vary your sentence lengths within paragraphs and the words you use. Keep your focus narrow, keep the language simple and be direct.

Say what you have to say and nothing else. Trim every bit of fat that you can remove from your essays. Never begin a sentence with a preface like, All in all..." or "What I am trying to say is..."

Just tell your story!

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”