Stanford Law - Work Experience Valued? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
BlaqBella

Silver

Stanford Law - Work Experience Valued?

Post by BlaqBella » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:54 am

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me if Stanford Law values work experience or views it as a great soft? It has been my dream school and I wanted to know if my work experience can help my relatively low GPA (3.4). As for additional stats, I am an AA female with about 4 years work experience in NYC BIGLAW (corporate para) and depending on when I apply, will have additional work experience at a Fortune 500 financial institution, also within a legal capacity.

All gurus and experts are welcomed to reply! :mrgreen:

TrialLawyer16

Bronze

Re: Stanford Law - Work Experience Valued?

Post by TrialLawyer16 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:04 pm

BlaqBella wrote:Hi All,

Can anyone tell me if Stanford Law values work experience or views it as a great soft? It has been my dream school and I wanted to know if my work experience can help my relatively low GPA (3.4). As for additional stats, I am an AA female with about 4 years work experience in NYC BIGLAW (corporate para) and depending on when I apply, will have additional work experience at a Fortune 500 financial institution, also within a legal capacity.

Rachel Zane? :shock:

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:09 pm

TrialLawyer16 wrote:

No.

Any advice you care to share? :)

RSterling

Bronze

Post by RSterling » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:18 pm

Your experience should help a bit in admissions, but it probably won't work any miracles. However, I think your experience will have a lot of pull once OCI rolls around. (Disclaimer: 0L, but I also have work experience and have asked around about the same question).

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:27 pm

RSterling wrote:Your experience should help a bit in admissions, but it probably won't work any miracles. However, I think your experience will have a lot of pull once OCI rolls around. (Disclaimer: 0L, but I also have work experience and have asked around about the same question).
Thanks. SLS Class of 2013 raw data stats indicate the following range:

•GPA range: 3.20-4.23
•LSAT range: 160-180

Of course I will attempt to shoot for the highest score possible, but any range as to what I should aim for at minimum to get a decent shot of admittance to SLS?

TrialLawyer16

Bronze

Post by TrialLawyer16 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:05 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
TrialLawyer16 wrote:

No.

That was a joke about the show Suits lol

I'm no Stanford guru/expert, but since you asked I'd imagine they treat it like most other law schools do, save Northwestern. It's good because it shows you're probably more mature, have a higher likelihood of doing well in law school (which is important since your UGPA is low for Stanford), and you're probably more certain that you actually want to be there. If anything, the thing that would help overcome your 3.4GPA for Stanford the most would be that you're an AA female.

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:11 pm

TrialLawyer16 wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:
TrialLawyer16 wrote:

No.

That was a joke about the show Suits lol

I'm not a Stanford guru/expert. But since you asked I'd imagine they treat it like most other law schools do, though, save Northwestern. It's good because it shows you're probably more mature, have a higher likelihood of doing well in law school, and you're probably more certain that you actually want to be there. If anything, the thing that would help overcome your 3.4GPA at Stanford would be that you're an AA female.
Yes, I watch and love the show. :mrgreen:

Thanks for your response. Still, I will be competing amongst other AA male and females with higher stats and if SLS is as GPA stingy as other TLSers seem to suggest, I really have a very low chance of admittance, even with my WE and even with a decent LSAT score (165+). I was hoping they would be one of the few that love work experience (not comparable to NW, but close enough, was my hope).

Thanks again.

PMan99

Bronze

Post by PMan99 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:01 pm

BlaqBella wrote: Yes, I watch and love the show. :mrgreen:

Thanks for your response. Still, I will be competing amongst other AA male and females with higher stats and if SLS is as GPA stingy as other TLSers seem to suggest, I really have a very low chance of admittance, even with my WE and even with a decent LSAT score (165+). I was hoping they would be one of the few that love work experience (not comparable to NW, but close enough, was my hope).

Thanks again.
A 165 will, in all likelihood, not get you even on the WL with a 3.4, even for a URM. I suppose it might have a nonzero chance, but if you want something realistic you'll need a 170+ (or maybe even 173-175+).

It isn't unheard of for URMs to get into HS with 3.4's (Y is out) but you need a stronger LSAT than 165. If you get far enough into the 170s, H actually becomes a pretty likely admit. S will always be harder to predict but WE+URM combined with a mid-170s LSAT and otherwise strong application (apply early, good recs, etc.) should give you a good chance.

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:18 pm

PMan99 wrote:
BlaqBella wrote: Yes, I watch and love the show. :mrgreen:

Thanks again.
A 165 will, in all likelihood, not get you even on the WL with a 3.4, even for a URM. I suppose it might have a nonzero chance, but if you want something realistic you'll need a 170+ (or maybe even 173-175+).

It isn't unheard of for URMs to get into HS with 3.4's (Y is out) but you need a stronger LSAT than 165. If you get far enough into the 170s, H actually becomes a pretty likely admit. S will always be harder to predict but WE+URM combined with a mid-170s LSAT and otherwise strong application (apply early, good recs, etc.) should give you a good chance.
Thanks!! Still have some work to put in for the mid-170s range, but time is on my side.

Now

New

Post by Now » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:11 pm

SLS really cares about the whole package. If you communicate your passion for the school and your commitment to ___ type of career, I think you have a solid shot even with a sub 170 LSAT score. More important than work experience is showing that you are a leader and putting together a fabulous application package. Once you show SLS that you can do the work, Stanford is far more interested in how you will contribute to the community. Good luck!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”