3.92 AA male - chance me Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Shooting4TheStars

New

3.92 AA male - chance me

Post by Shooting4TheStars » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:19 pm

Hey all, long time lurker here and I'm going about the application process in the next couple of months. I could use some guidance / prospective here though. I'm taking the oct LSAT and am still PT'ing ~159/low 160s... still have some time to prep - I'm taking advantage of it and hoping to land in the mid-upper 160's.

GPA: 3.926
LSAT: (will update!)
Major: Philosophy
Minors: Pol. Sci, International Studies
Institution: Smaller Private University in the South

Softs: Several internships, DA's office, LegalAid office, AmeriCorps volunteer work, TA for class, a lot of work with underrepresented high school students in local area, have worked all 3 years of college, President of an organization for two years now, several awards and membership to honor societies, first gen college student... I think these are about average softs, right?

I'm aiming for the T10 [really Stanford], hoping my gpa and softs will be my saving grace. I know this is an impossible question to answer without my LSAT, but you can either chance me with where I am at now (~160) but also give me an idea of the 'lowest' LSAT score I can get to be competitive. I have prowled lsatnumbers and mylsat, I'm looking for input as opposed to just numbers. Anyway, here's my top few schools, chance me

Stanford
Chicago
Harvard
NYU
UPenn

P.s. I'm working on my PS / DS, I know sometimes people are willing to take a look at those for other TLS'ers. If anyone is willing to help a brotha out, please do

honeybadger12

Bronze

Re: 3.92 AA male - chance me

Post by honeybadger12 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:19 am

http://mylsn.info/graph.php?school=stanford
By the numbers, a 168 gives you a 21% chance at Stanford, but they're more holistic than most schools. URM/softs should give you some boost; hard to say how much - depends how well you do with the PS/LOR etc. If you want to PM me an essay feel free.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:32 am

Great LGPA. Just ballparking it,

Median gets you everywhere.

165+ probably gets you some of HSCCNP.

161-164 probably gets you some of MVBDNGC, with an outside shot at a T7.

Keep working on it!!! Eat/sleep/breathe LSAT. Worry about the PS during the month you wait for your score. Write your own destiny in October. Its all in your hands.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:16 pm

Wormfather wrote: 21%. Even for an AA male?.
No, that is for a general applicant.

An AA male's chances would be SIGNIFICANTLY higher.

honeybadger12

Bronze

Post by honeybadger12 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:43 pm

Nova wrote:
Wormfather wrote: 21%. Even for an AA male?.
No, that is for a general applicant.

An AA male's chances would be SIGNIFICANTLY higher.
+1

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”