(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Manhattanman

Postby Manhattanman » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:11 pm

Last edited by Manhattanman on Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PigBodine

Re: 3.0/165 AA male shot at Fordham

Postby PigBodine » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:26 pm

Good news: you shouldn't have any problem getting into Fordham and a number of higher-ranked schools with money. This guy got in to Vandy, Fordham, and GT (part-time) in the past cycle with an LSAT score 3 points lower. Someone from the NYU thread got in there off the waitlist with 3.8 or 3.9/162 (iirc). Honestly, you're probably setting your sights too low. I don't see any reason not to apply to everywhere from Columbia on down.

howlery

Postby howlery » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:32 pm

PigBodine wrote:Good news: you shouldn't have any problem getting into Fordham and a number of higher-ranked schools with money. This guy got in to Vandy, Fordham, and GT (part-time) in the past cycle with an LSAT score 3 points lower. Someone from the NYU thread got in there off the waitlist with 3.8 or 3.9/162 (iirc). Honestly, you're probably setting your sights too low. I don't see any reason not to apply to everywhere from Columbia on down.

Doesn't Columbia have a GPA floor of 3.5? Or does this not apply to URMs? NYU's was just about 3.0 IIRC. Someone posted an Excel sheet with T14 GPA floors. Snoop around for splitter threads, its probably in one of those.

ETA: Your WE and grad school softs won't compensate for anything.
Last edited by howlery on Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sharktankdean

Postby sharktankdean » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:34 pm

Your GPA and LSAT don't preclude you from the top 25. With your current stats you could get into some t-14. f you want to increase your chances you should retake. But i think you are probably in at some lower t-14s. Your work experience will also help.

this tls user's cycle might be encouraging

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/miracle2011/jd
Last edited by sharktankdean on Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Manhattanman

Postby Manhattanman » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:36 pm

PigBodine wrote:Good news: you shouldn't have any problem getting into Fordham and a number of higher-ranked schools with money. This guy got in to Vandy, Fordham, and GT (part-time) in the past cycle with an LSAT score 3 points lower. Someone from the NYU thread got in there off the waitlist with 3.8 or 3.9/162 (iirc). Honestly, you're probably setting your sights too low. I don't see any reason not to apply to everywhere from Columbia on down.
Last edited by Manhattanman on Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Manhattanman

Postby Manhattanman » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:46 pm

howlery wrote:

Doesn't Columbia have a GPA floor of 3.5? Or does this not apply to URMs? NYU's was just about 3.0 IIRC. Someone posted an Excel sheet with T14 GPA floors. Snoop around for splitter threads, its probably in one of those.

ETA: Your WE and grad school softs won't compensate for anything.

Thanks for the reply. I know that softs don't necessarily mitigate any negative data points (i.e., my UGPA), but I think if it is between me and a similar applicant they will count for something. Also, what does IIRC mean? Thanks again for the reply and for being frank.

PigBodine

Postby PigBodine » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:34 pm

howlery wrote:Doesn't Columbia have a GPA floor of 3.5? Or does this not apply to URMs? NYU's was just about 3.0 IIRC. Someone posted an Excel sheet with T14 GPA floors. Snoop around for splitter threads, its probably in one of those.

Maybe, but they also give admission fee waivers to anybody they suspect might be a carbon-based life form. I think it's probably worth the price of a large pizza.

howlery

Postby howlery » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:24 pm

PigBodine wrote:
howlery wrote:Doesn't Columbia have a GPA floor of 3.5? Or does this not apply to URMs? NYU's was just about 3.0 IIRC. Someone posted an Excel sheet with T14 GPA floors. Snoop around for splitter threads, its probably in one of those.

Maybe, but they also give admission fee waivers to anybody they suspect might be a carbon-based life form. I think it's probably worth the price of a large pizza.

I'd rather have a large pizza without getting my hopes up instead of being rejected and ordering another large pizza for consolation.

Not saying OP is out at CCN, no one can say definitely. They are all worth apps though. See if you can ask HYS for waivers too.

Verity

Postby Verity » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:47 pm

PigBodine wrote:Good news: you shouldn't have any problem getting into Fordham and a number of higher-ranked schools with money. This guy got in to Vandy, Fordham, and GT (part-time) in the past cycle with an LSAT score 3 points lower. Someone from the NYU thread got in there off the waitlist with 3.8 or 3.9/162 (iirc). Honestly, you're probably setting your sights too low. I don't see any reason not to apply to everywhere from Columbia Cornell on down.

FTFY. Columbia is out. Upper T14 unlikely, but if you want to sent in apps to MVBP, it's your money. There's a chance there, but it's slim. But you would probably get a T20 with money.

Punisha20

Postby Punisha20 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:33 pm

OP: I had similar numbers and was put on reserve at Columbia (Which I didn't know until it was too late). I applied very late in my cycle, so I'm sure it couldn't hurt to send an app. I mean, it could happen.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:38 pm

You should add some punctuation to your thread title.

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:52 pm

Manhattanman wrote: LSAT is fortunately at the median, and I have heard minority applicants can have a fair shot when their LSAT is close to the median. Is this a myth!?

A URM will likely get in with money at most schools where they are at or above the LSAT median. Schools have a great incentive to admit URMs who pad their LSAT median, even those with 3.0s. This was true for me (3.0/167/URM) and several other URMs I know from last cycle. There are of course exceptions, but F is not one of them. You have a good shot there.

IIRC = If I recall correctly

Manhattanman

Postby Manhattanman » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:42 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:You should add some punctuation to your thread title.

Well played, Sir.

Manhattanman

Postby Manhattanman » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:52 pm

Punisha20 wrote:OP: I had similar numbers and was put on reserve at Columbia (Which I didn't know until it was too late). I applied very late in my cycle, so I'm sure it couldn't hurt to send an app. I mean, it could happen.

I plan on applying within two weeks of when the apps open. I have my transcripts and recommendations uploaded to LSAC already. What does reserve mean? I think I can guess, but i dont like to assume. Also, is applying early decision to Georgetown a good idea? I think it makes sense if I have no shot at any school higher, but, then again, I may
lose out on money from a lower ranked school that I would have been willing to go to. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Punisha20

Postby Punisha20 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:56 pm

Manhattanman wrote:
Punisha20 wrote:OP: I had similar numbers and was put on reserve at Columbia (Which I didn't know until it was too late). I applied very late in my cycle, so I'm sure it couldn't hurt to send an app. I mean, it could happen.

I plan on applying within two weeks of when the apps open. I have my transcripts and recommendations uploaded to LSAC already. What does reserve mean? I think I can guess, but i dont like to assume. Also, is applying early decision to Georgetown a good idea? I think it makes sense if I have no shot at any school higher, but, then again, I may
lose out on money from a lower ranked school that I would have been willing to go to. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Not completely sure what reserve is at Columbia, I just assumed that it's their version of a waitlist. I didn't even know I was on reserve until they e-mailed me saying that they were taking me off of it two weeks before my 1st semester was starting.(Maybe the snail mailed something that I didn't get). Anyways, don't sell yourself short, especially since you will be applying very early. You will get T-30 acceptances, especially from midwestern schools i.e. Wustl and IU-B.

To answer your other question, I would not apply ED to Georgetown if I were you. Some people may not believe that you can get T-14, but I do. There just aren't that many AA-Males with 165s. If I were you, I would apply everywhere from Columbia on down. If schools don't automatically give you a fee waiver, e-mail them and ask, because they likely will.

Manhattanman

Postby Manhattanman » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:19 pm

Sent my app to Fordham. Thanks for the advice

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:17 pm

Manhattanman wrote:Sent my app to Fordham. Thanks for the advice

Good luck bro. You got this.

Manhattanman

Postby Manhattanman » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:39 pm

I got accepted to Fordham!!! Thanks for all the support and help. I blanketed from NYU down, but it does feel great to get accepted somewhere. This is the first acceptance. Gonna wait to hear back from every other school, obviously, but a weight feels lifted off my shoulders. Thanks again all who posted, and best of luck.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:46 pm

You should have applied to Columbia. An AA male with a 165 LSAT score, graduate degree & significant post-college work expeience should get serious consideration among T-14 law schools outside of H,Y & S.

P.S. Hope that you're recovering from being shot at Fordham. Good luck !

Manhattanman

Postby Manhattanman » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:57 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:You should have applied to Columbia. An AA male with a 165 LSAT score, graduate degree & significant post-college work expeience should get serious consideration among T-14 law schools outside of H,Y & S.

P.S. Hope that you're recovering from being shot at Fordham. Good luck !

Yeah, Lincoln Center can be rough.

I applied to NYU and big chunk of the T14. I think I will send a Columbia an app soon. Was hoping to get a fee waiver, I received one last year in December. Thanks, good luck to you too.

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:08 pm

Congrats!!!

EttaJ

Postby EttaJ » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:27 am

Manhattanman wrote:I got accepted to Fordham!!! Thanks for all the support and help. I blanketed from NYU down, but it does feel great to get accepted somewhere. This is the first acceptance. Gonna wait to hear back from every other school, obviously, but a weight feels lifted off my shoulders. Thanks again all who posted, and best of luck.

Congrats!

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”