School/Life/Children balance? Any tips?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
janefbk

School/Life/Children balance? Any tips?

Postby janefbk » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:17 am

Hello.. Do any parents/spouses out there have any successful tips for school/life balance with small children? I will be entering my 2L year and I have a 9 year old (almost 10) son. 1L was an absolute nightmare. I didn't really 'prepare' for law school as well as I should have and I almost had a nervous breakdown (especially during the moot court competitions). I also manage 20+ apartment units with my husband (I do the bookkeeping and go with him on the weekends to clean, garden, be his gopher girl with tools).. It started getting to the point where everything just became way too much to handle. Tutoring my son, cooking dinner every night, grocery/household shopping, loads and loads of laundry, cleaning, and managing the apartments... Just thinking about starting the routine again this year is giving me a headache. I know I am in way over my head but I am determined to finish law school. Has anyone been successful in managing a family while in law school? Any tips??

I ended doing pretty well my 1L year but my marriage suffered and my house was an absolute disaster 99% of the time. My husband is very supportive but he is also tired when he gets home from work. This summer has been WONDERFUL. Maybe a cleaning lady would help? Any advice would be much appreciated!! I don't want to drown again :)

janefbk

Re: School/Life/Children balance? Any tips?

Postby janefbk » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:23 pm

Will do! Thanks!

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”