First generation immigrant 3.33 GPA/170 Lsat

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Kahuna

First generation immigrant 3.33 GPA/170 Lsat

Postby Kahuna » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:26 pm

Hello Forum!

This is my first post ever, and I was wondering if anybody out there could help me out. I am a first generation immigrant. I have lived in the US most of my life. I was born in Mexico but just recently decided to become a full-fledged US citizen. I want to go to law-school but the DEBT is somewhat discouraging since I cant afford to pay out of pocket.

I have a B.A in history (3.33 gpa) and an M.A in the same field (3.83 gpa). I slept, partied, and all around slacked during undergrad before learning my lesson in the grad-school. Both are from a liberal arts college in Texas. Its not ranked and there is nothing prestigious about it, other than their Education and Criminal Justice Depts. Also, I have mostly been employed in education working with underprivileged kids, ESL, and special ed and as a TA during my time in grad-school. If that helps.

My question: What are my chances at a T14 school, and what kind of Financial aid package could I expect (if any)? The goal is T14 or T1 but finances are will be a determining factor.

TopHatToad

Re: First generation immigrant 3.33 GPA/170 Lsat

Postby TopHatToad » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:45 pm

Congrats on proving all the xenophobes in this country wrong! Debt is obviously an issue for anyone considering law school, and your undergrad GPA isn't the strongest. However, a killer LSAT score like that (it's a real one, right?) opens a lot of doors, especially for a URM candidate. Check LawSchoolNumbers to verify, but my guess is that you're going to be able to go to school very cheaply or else to the T14, but perhaps not both. Best of luck!

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”