Working Before Law School

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
727813
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:47 am

Working Before Law School

Postby 727813 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:02 pm

If you were able to (legally) obtain employment for a year, resulting in ~ $200k, would you put off LS for a year?

Factors:
-Age: Older than most (under 30)
-Saving potential: at least $80k after taxes
-Location: No complaints
-Position: OCI Attention Grabber

Please, no comments about why a person would give up that employment to attend LS in the 1st place.

User avatar
Dr. Review
Posts: 1797
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:51 am

Re: Working Before Law School

Postby Dr. Review » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:04 pm

Roughneck?

User avatar
Birdnals
Posts: 4576
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:26 am

Re: Working Before Law School

Postby Birdnals » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:05 pm

727813 wrote:If you were able to (legally) obtain employment for a year, resulting in ~ $200k, would you put off LS for a year?

Factors:
-Age: Older than most (under 30)
-Saving potential: at least $80k after taxes
-Location: No complaints
-Position: OCI Attention Grabber

Please, no comments about why a person would give up that employment to attend LS in the 1st place.

1 whole year? That’s like, 1/70th of a lifetime! No thank you, law schools might all have an admissions freeze in a year.

TheProsecutor
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 12:50 pm

Re: Working Before Law School

Postby TheProsecutor » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:45 pm

727813 wrote:If you were able to (legally) obtain employment for a year, resulting in ~ $200k, would you put off LS for a year?

Factors:
-Age: Older than most (under 30)
-Saving potential: at least $80k after taxes
-Location: No complaints
-Position: OCI Attention Grabber

Please, no comments about why a person would give up that employment to attend LS in the 1st place.



Depends - at schools like HYS where there are no academic scholarships, but just need-based aid, working for that year will probably not be in your long term financial interests. You'll likely have to put that entire 80k towards paying for law school. If you're going to a school that is cheap or you can get significant scholarship money, then you should probably wait and collect the salary.

Age is a negligible factor. Most of your classmates will be younger, but under 30 is still ripe for law school.
Savings is crucial: you better save at least this much if you want to go to HYS. I think they might even still look at your parents income too
Location: cool
Position: How do you know it is a OCI attention grabber? In any event this shouldn't be a factor in your decision.

At the end of the day it is a year of your life. Would you enjoy doing the work at the job? If yes, then go. If no, then go to lawschool.
Last edited by TheProsecutor on Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dixon02
Posts: 374
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:27 am

Re: Working Before Law School

Postby dixon02 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:51 pm

I think passing on the job to attend one of HYS is defensible. Outside of those three, I wouldn't even give it a second thought.

socraticmethodman
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: Working Before Law School

Postby socraticmethodman » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:52 pm

Why is this in the URM forum?

User avatar
Ozymandias
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:49 am

Re: Working Before Law School

Postby Ozymandias » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:36 pm

How is this a question?

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Working Before Law School

Postby Nova » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:19 pm

I would definitely take a year off to make 200k

User avatar
Ratchet Jackson
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: Working Before Law School

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:06 am

No brainer. Check to see if you can defer for a year and even if you can't, stack the chips. LS will always be there but the paper might not be.

727813
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:47 am

Re: Working Before Law School

Postby 727813 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:17 pm

socraticmethodman wrote:Why is this in the URM forum?


It may not be the best place, but I'm a URM.....

727813
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:47 am

Re: Working Before Law School

Postby 727813 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:23 pm

TheProsecutor wrote:
Depends - at schools like HYS where there are no academic scholarships, but just need-based aid, working for that year will probably not be in your long term financial interests. You'll likely have to put that entire 80k towards paying for law school. If you're going to a school that is cheap or you can get significant scholarship money, then you should probably wait and collect the salary.

Age is a negligible factor. Most of your classmates will be younger, but under 30 is still ripe for law school.
Savings is crucial: you better save at least this much if you want to go to HYS. I think they might even still look at your parents income too
Location: cool
Position: How do you know it is a OCI attention grabber? In any event this shouldn't be a factor in your decision.

At the end of the day it is a year of your life. Would you enjoy doing the work at the job? If yes, then go. If no, then go to lawschool.

Thanks for the input.
I understand the need-based aid and I'm pretty sure that I won't receive any, outside of loans. My income + parental income is just too much. My hope is that this job would offset some of the loans I will have to take out to go to law school. My only reason for taking the position would be to save. As far as an OCI attention grabber, I ran the position past a few established attorneys in the field that I hope to practice in, and they were thoroughly impressed. I know that it may not be universal, but clearly it's not a random paralegal job.

727813
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:47 am

Re: Working Before Law School

Postby 727813 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:24 pm

RJ127 wrote:No brainer. Check to see if you can defer for a year and even if you can't, stack the chips. LS will always be there but the paper might not be.


Thanks.

727813
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:47 am

Re: Working Before Law School

Postby 727813 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:24 pm

Nova wrote:I would definitely take a year off to make 200k


Thanks. More and more, I am starting to think so too.

727813
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:47 am

Re: Working Before Law School

Postby 727813 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:25 pm

dixon02 wrote:I think passing on the job to attend one of HYS is defensible. Outside of those three, I wouldn't even give it a second thought.


I agree. If by some mirable, I were accepted into HYS, I would go hands-down. Loans and all.

User avatar
Ratchet Jackson
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: Working Before Law School

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:27 pm

727813 wrote:
dixon02 wrote:I think passing on the job to attend one of HYS is defensible. Outside of those three, I wouldn't even give it a second thought.


I agree. If by some mirable, I were accepted into HYS, I would go hands-down. Loans and all.


If accepted, try to defer. Not sure what the HLS policy on this it, but definitely try to have your cake and eat it too.

User avatar
facile princeps
Posts: 421
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:51 pm

Re: Working Before Law School

Postby facile princeps » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:34 pm

$200K is way too much money to pass on. I would take that job in a heartbeat. Defer, bro. Defer.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Working Before Law School

Postby spleenworship » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:10 pm

facile princeps wrote:$200K is way too much money to pass on. I would take that job in a heartbeat. Defer, bro. Defer.

User avatar
Honey_Badger
Posts: 195
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:57 pm

Re: Working Before Law School

Postby Honey_Badger » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:59 pm

facile princeps wrote:$200K is way too much money to pass on. I would take that job in a heartbeat. Defer, bro. Defer.


+1
(or +200,000....)

UltraNonTraditional
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 3:59 pm

Re: Working Before Law School

Postby UltraNonTraditional » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:18 pm

I know this doesn't contribute to the thread discussion but I just can't help myself. What the heck kinda job are you qualified for that pays $200k with presumably only a bachelor's degree? I don't expect an answer but I had to ask... geesh. $200k??

User avatar
Birdnals
Posts: 4576
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:26 am

Re: Working Before Law School

Postby Birdnals » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:25 pm

UltraNonTraditional wrote:I know this doesn't contribute to the thread discussion but I just can't help myself. What the heck kinda job are you qualified for that pays $200k with presumably only a bachelor's degree? I don't expect an answer but I had to ask... geesh. $200k??

Bedsole wrote:Roughneck?

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Working Before Law School

Postby spleenworship » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:58 pm

Birdnals wrote:
UltraNonTraditional wrote:I know this doesn't contribute to the thread discussion but I just can't help myself. What the heck kinda job are you qualified for that pays $200k with presumably only a bachelor's degree? I don't expect an answer but I had to ask... geesh. $200k??

Bedsole wrote:Roughneck?



Or overseas "contractor" (read "mercenary")?

User avatar
Dr. Review
Posts: 1797
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:51 am

Re: Working Before Law School

Postby Dr. Review » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:22 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Or overseas "contractor" (read "mercenary")?


Is Blackwater hiring?

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Working Before Law School

Postby spleenworship » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:35 pm

Bedsole wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
Or overseas "contractor" (read "mercenary")?


Is Blackwater hiring?



They are called ACADAMI now, and yes, yes they are:

http://careers.academi.com/index.php?m= ... talID=7401


There are a bunch of these there, if you are interested.

And there are a large number of these companies that still hire. Friend of mine spent a year in Afghanistan a few years ago, paid off his house.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests