Topic for PS?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
URMLAW

Topic for PS?

Postby URMLAW » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:45 am

I'm URM Puerto Rican male from the Caribbean. I have some voluntary work under by belt including a 3rd world country relief effort mission with the united nations and everything and modest but diverse work experience.

business 3.4 lsac gpa 160+ LSAT prep test

I'm trying to decide on which of the next topics to write about.

Should I write a DS into my PS or just leave the DS for the optional essay. What would you suggest?

Topics

1. Write about how my parents don't look law as a good option financially but I'm going to study law anyway and then have a chance to explain my reasons. This includes a story about parents non explicit disapproval comparing me to other two very successful brothers one of them a physician from a top US med school the other vice president of a billion dollar company. (I'm not rich just middle class)

2. Sharing my story of how a grew up. How I went to public funded school in a system with overall 58% drop rate. How I came from a region of full of drugs, poverty, crime and how that has affected me etc. This topic gives me a chance to support a claim about intellectual curiosity social responsibility and in a lesser way academic potential.

3. My practical approach to law. The critical situation where I live. How I would like to combine legislation to end loopholes in the tax system etc. I feel like this would sound more like "I have a dream.. I don't know how to get there yet and I have no practical experience..." in other words sounding naive. I really wish I could help by closing loopholes in the tax code etc but its the road on how to get there is very vague right now. (writing this makes it more clear that this is definitely not a choice haha)

Other inquiries... I don't know if I should include this topics at all anywhere in my app..

1. Should I definitely include something about how I was driven by intellectual and cultural curiosity to travel to over 2 dozens countries and dozens of cities a lot of them alone? Is it look upon as a really good soft or like "meh whatever"? I did all this traveling practically in exchange for working 6 months straight non stop non paid work in construction after graduation. I think I should mention it because besides being the truth it will tell admission official I' not spoiled and that hard work was instilled into me.

2. I consider myself to be very multifaceted but I'm worried that including this in the PS will make me sound like I'm easily steered into topics other than law. I studied business because I wanted to learn about the inner workings of business but it doesn't stop there. I like reading about everything. From aeronautics, history, finance, theology, biology, geography, astronomy etc. I'm not an expert by all means on all of this topics but I consider myself to have a little more than basic knowledge about them. I'm also worried that this could be a very common trait of law prospective students which, I think we can safely presume, are somewhat more multifaceted than the general population. What do you guys think?

3. Is it possible and wise to mention that my undergrad university is ranked 20 out of 1369 among Latin American universities? If so, where?

4. One last thing..... Is it ok to write some words (like 3-6 words overall) in Spanish then translate them to remind the admission committee my main language is Spanish or does the whole PS should be in English?

I would like to thank ahead anyone taking their time to help a stranger. Thank you!

GirlStop

Re: Topic for PS?

Postby GirlStop » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:56 pm

Hey there,

This is just my opinion, I am a complete novice and I'm learning as I go. When are you taking the LSAT? I know its hard, but I would recommend that you put as much time into prepping for it and work on your app materials while waiting for your score!

Best of luck :-) [I am also applying this cycle!]

URMLAW wrote:I'm URM Puerto Rican male from the Caribbean. I have some voluntary work under by belt including a 3rd world country relief effort mission with the united nations and everything and modest but diverse work experience.

business 3.4 lsac gpa 160+ LSAT prep test

I'm trying to decide on which of the next topics to write about.

Should I write a DS into my PS or just leave the DS for the optional essay. What would you suggest?

I am in the same boat and have since decided to leave the DS for the optional essay, although both essays were constructed using the same theme.

Topics

1. Write about how my parents don't look law as a good option financially but I'm going to study law anyway and then have a chance to explain my reasons. This includes a story about parents non explicit disapproval comparing me to other two very successful brothers one of them a physician from a top US med school the other vice president of a billion dollar company. (I'm not rich just middle class) I feel like a topic like this needs to be done carefully in order for it to work. Otherwise, you will be using your space on your PS to talk about other people rather than giving the reader insight on yourself.

2. Sharing my story of how a grew up. How I went to public funded school in a system with overall 58% drop rate. How I came from a region of full of drugs, poverty, crime and how that has affected me etc. This topic gives me a chance to support a claim about intellectual curiosity social responsibility and in a lesser way academic potential. I like this!

3. My practical approach to law. The critical situation where I live. How I would like to combine legislation to end loopholes in the tax system etc. I feel like this would sound more like "I have a dream.. I don't know how to get there yet and I have no practical experience..." in other words sounding naive. I really wish I could help by closing loopholes in the tax code etc but its the road on how to get there is very vague right now. (writing this makes it more clear that this is definitely not a choice haha)

Other inquiries... I don't know if I should include this topics at all anywhere in my app..

1. Should I definitely include something about how I was driven by intellectual and cultural curiosity to travel to over 2 dozens countries and dozens of cities a lot of them alone? Is it look upon as a really good soft or like "meh whatever"? I did all this traveling practically in exchange for working 6 months straight non stop non paid work in construction after graduation. I think I should mention it because besides being the truth it will tell admission official I' not spoiled and that hard work was instilled into me. This could speak to your diversity and unique perspectives.

2. I consider myself to be very multifaceted but I'm worried that including this in the PS will make me sound like I'm easily steered into topics other than law. I studied business because I wanted to learn about the inner workings of business but it doesn't stop there. I like reading about everything. From aeronautics, history, finance, theology, biology, geography, astronomy etc. I'm not an expert by all means on all of this topics but I consider myself to have a little more than basic knowledge about them. I'm also worried that this could be a very common trait of law prospective students which, I think we can safely presume, are somewhat more multifaceted than the general population. What do you guys think?

3. Is it possible and wise to mention that my undergrad university is ranked 20 out of 1369 among Latin American universities? If so, where?

4. One last thing..... Is it ok to write some words (like 3-6 words overall) in Spanish then translate them to remind the admission committee my main language is Spanish or does the whole PS should be in English? I don't see why this would be an issue...just needs to make sense with the entire essay, you know?

I would like to thank ahead anyone taking their time to help a stranger. Thank you!

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:11 am

URMLAW wrote: 3. Is it possible and wise to mention that my undergrad university is ranked 20 out of 1369 among Latin American universities? If so, where?

I think it would be a good idea, because the adcomms are likely unfamiliar with Latin American Universities, and it would add context. Put it on your resume.

howlery

Postby howlery » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:59 pm

Given that you're from the caribbean, what race(s) do you identify with? Just thought I'd ask.

URMLAW

Postby URMLAW » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:47 pm

howlery wrote:Given that you're from the caribbean, what race(s) do you identify with? Just thought I'd ask.

Good and valid question. I don't consider myself caucasian nor black but somewhere in the middle. I remember being in Spain in a guy a friend of friend told her girl which was more into me than him that she should be careful because I had black in me. I told him "yeah I do I have Black in me and Taino (Caribbean Native American) and sadly spanish heritage." just trying to piss him off. Puerto Ricans are a really a mixed of three ethnicities, African black, Taino and Spanish. We all vary in our mix but if a study is done to my DNA most likely we all have some mix of all three DNAs.

I wanted to share this...
I have been in the US a couple of times and I have felt racism and stereotyping almost every time. Example of comments I have heard.
1. a guy tells me a not so funny racist joke about luxury cars and Puerto Rican drug dealing don't remember it exactly.
2. I've been told "OMG but you are so different form Puerto Ricans in the state (implying that I'm educated)" might sound like a good thing but I bet a lot of Puerto Rican from the US are educated. Fun fact: There is a cultural difference between PR from the US and from the Island.
3. My family could be considered to be in a better economic position than some americans and I have felt how some of americans treat me like I'm underserving of this.

So, is there anyway I could use this in my application?

Nova wrote:
URMLAW wrote: 3. Is it possible and wise to mention that my undergrad university is ranked 20 out of 1369 among Latin American universities? If so, where?

I think it would be a good idea, because the adcomms are likely unfamiliar with Latin American Universities, and it would add context. Put it on your resume.

Thanks! I'll search on the internet how is done.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”