Black attorneys at Fennemore Craig Phoenix? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Golden Boy

New

Black attorneys at Fennemore Craig Phoenix?

Post by Golden Boy » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:41 pm

Just curious as to any insights on this topic. I looked at every attorney profile for every location and saw.......one? How realistic is it for black attorneys to biglaw in AZ?

I apologize in advance if I chose the wrong forum.

buckilaw

Silver

Re: Black attorneys at Fennemore Craig Phoenix?

Post by buckilaw » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:48 pm

I don't really see why being black would affect your odds at biglaw in Arizona. Though I would think most URMs that can get biglaw would opt for cities other than Phoenix, so that may be one reason you saw only one black attorney.

bromance

New

Re: Black attorneys at Fennemore Craig Phoenix?

Post by bromance » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:57 pm

If you graduate top 5-10% from an Arizona law school I'd say you have as good a chance as anyone at getting AZ biglaw, but as a non-hispanic URM you're probably not going to get any kind of diversity boost without KILLER stats to match. The reality in AZ is that firms don't go out of their way to recruit diversity - if it falls into their lap in the form of someone they would have hired anyway who also happens to be a URM then awesome, but in Phoenix "commitment to diversity" doesn't really go much further than that [hence one AA at Fenemore Craig]. Doing well [very well] at a T-14 with ties to AZ would definitely up your chances, but again you're going to need to put up the numbers first.

Disclaimer: I'm a 0L but grew up in AZ, parent went to law school at ASU/UofA - heavily involved in leadership of several Arizona AA legal organizations and is currently a judge in AZ.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”