Roll the dice or retake?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
VnshngAge
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:10 pm

Roll the dice or retake?

Postby VnshngAge » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:18 pm

Been lurking for a while, 'sup.

Dec'10 -----> Canceled

Feb'11 ------> 164

June'12 -----> 168


Graduated 3 years ago and I have been working full time since. 3.12 uGPA. Good softs: president of pre-law chapter, student gov't, international background, & good LoRs.

What schools I have a shot at?

Also, I am pretty confident in increasing 2-6 pts by Oct. so i've been thinking about going for it. Any advice (on 4th retake)?

Thnxx!

User avatar
TTTehehe
Posts: 190
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:00 pm

Re: Roll the dice or retake?

Postby TTTehehe » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:21 pm

VnshngAge wrote:Been lurking for a while, 'sup.

Dec'10 -----> Canceled

Feb'11 ------> 164

June'12 -----> 168


Graduated 3 years ago and I have been working full time since. 3.12 uGPA. Good softs: president of pre-law chapter, student gov't, international background, & good LoRs.

What schools I have a shot at?

Also, I am pretty confident in increasing 2-6 pts by Oct. so i've been thinking about going for it. Any advice (on 4th retake)?

Thnxx!


Roll em, but keep studying for a possible retake if put on WL.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Roll the dice or retake?

Postby Nova » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:27 pm

What kind of URM? Regardless, you are looking at big money 19-30. My friend has a 3.0/167 and got T30 with 100k. IMO you should retake. Hitting median would give you a good shot at UVA GULC Cornell and NU.

User avatar
VnshngAge
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:10 pm

Re: Roll the dice or retake?

Postby VnshngAge » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:00 pm

Nova wrote:What kind of URM? Regardless, you are looking at big money 19-30. My friend has a 3.0/167 and got T30 with 100k. IMO you should retake. Hitting median would give you a good shot at UVA GULC Cornell and NU.


I am Salvadorian but I read that Salvadorians are not considered URM for law school (@mods: if this thread needs to be moved please do so).

If I do retake that would be my 4th attempt, any idea on how adcoms look at that?

Thanks for the replies and sorry I took so long, I was on vacay 8)

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Roll the dice or retake?

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:18 pm

I thought you could only take 3 times in 2 years.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Roll the dice or retake?

Postby Nova » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:51 am

Bildungsroman wrote:I thought you could only take 3 times in 2 years.


True. So Oct is of the table.

Does that mean OP could take Dec '12 (exactly 2 years from 1st take)? Or would OP have to wait till Feb '13 ?

User avatar
TrialLawyer16
Posts: 287
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:43 pm

Re: Roll the dice or retake?

Postby TrialLawyer16 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:11 am

Yep. OP can retake in December, but no sooner.

User avatar
VnshngAge
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:10 pm

Re: Roll the dice or retake?

Postby VnshngAge » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:43 pm

Got it, so Dec. would be the soonest.

Does anyone know on how taking it 4 times would be seen by adcoms?

Is the benefit of raising the score, say, +2 pts. (170) outweigh the stigma of taking it 4 times?

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Roll the dice or retake?

Postby Nova » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:57 pm

VnshngAge wrote:Got it, so Dec. would be the soonest.

Does anyone know on how taking it 4 times would be seen by adcoms?

Is the benefit of raising the score, say, +2 pts. (170) outweigh the stigma of taking it 4 times?


Hitting median would increase your chances dramtically, no mater what.

User avatar
VnshngAge
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:10 pm

Re: Roll the dice or retake?

Postby VnshngAge » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:53 pm

Nova wrote:
VnshngAge wrote:Got it, so Dec. would be the soonest.

Does anyone know on how taking it 4 times would be seen by adcoms?

Is the benefit of raising the score, say, +2 pts. (170) outweigh the stigma of taking it 4 times?


Hitting median would increase your chances dramtically, no mater what.



Thanks! I'll see how this cycle plays up and if i'm not happy with what I get I'll retake.

Also, though not a URM does being Salvadorian (born and raised there 'til 17yrs old) makes for a decent diversity angle I can play up to increase my chances at some of my reach schools?




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dondraper88 and 4 guests