(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
dingbat

Re: The Post that Should Not Be

Postby dingbat » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:54 pm

Don't get too hung up on the T6.
A decent scholly at a lower ranked school can be a viable option

redsoxfan2495

Postby redsoxfan2495 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:02 pm

I think a lot of people on here would argue that T6 isn't that meaningful of a distinction. If you really think you want to go to law school I don't think it makes much sense to say "I only got into Penn, so forget it..."

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:05 pm

Wormfather wrote:I know that I shouldn't be writing this post (see subject) but I'm stressing out beyond all belief. I'm an 31 year old junior with a 3.9 GPA at a well respected liberal arts school. I worked as an audit analyst for the ten years between high school and college. When I was downsized in 2009, my wife decided to saddle up for seven years and put me through undergrad and law school (law is my dream and she thinks I'm really smart). Anyway, even though she'd be happy with me working for legal aid as long as I could put food on the table (yeah right, I know), the fact of the matter is, I owe her big time, she wants kids and the picket fence, so do I and I dont care how many hours I have to work to get it.

Here's the delima, I took the LSAT in June, my average on my PTs was 165 but with scores ranging between 159 and 168 (if I got the right games I killed it, if I had the wrong games or a RC about someone who changes literature forever I bombed). The point I'm meandering to is this, after reading these boards, I've come to realize that if I dont crack T6 (where I will crush anyone who stands in my way with my bare brain) that I wont be able to make the money needed to pay off student loans in a timely fashion and actually have a chance at a family, I just dont have 5 years to prove myself at a mid-level firm after law school.

So if I score within two points of my average, would I really have a decent shot at T6?

Sorry and thank you, simultaneously. I've read 100s of threads on this site and you guys do everyone a great service. Speaking of service, my softs are pretty much non-existent too.

What kind of URM are you?

Mad Hatter

Postby Mad Hatter » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:06 pm

Wormfather wrote:I've come to realize that if I dont crack T6 (where I will crush anyone who stands in my way with my bare brain)

What the hell does this even mean? If you don't get T6 you aren't going to try as hard? If you do you can guarantee top grades on randomly graded tests? You seem really confused.

kwais

Postby kwais » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:11 pm

I think one could argue that if a family is your goal, then a good scholarship at a good (lower) school might be better than "T6."

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:11 pm

Come back after you have a score. You have a killer GPA and work experience. If applications play out next year like they did this year, you could get a massive scholarship with the right score.

I think your idea of the T6 is a little too narrow. You can still attain your dream outside of those. I understand that you want to maximize your shot at biglaw. So gun for T6 but apply to other schools as well.

You sound like you have a great family situation going with your wife. That is wonderful.

PS. You also sound stressed because of waiting for scores to be released. Whatever you get, June isn't the end of the world. Don't put yourself in a box.
Last edited by sunynp on Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:12 pm

Wormfather wrote:
shoeshine wrote:
Wormfather wrote:I know that I shouldn't be writing this post (see subject) but I'm stressing out beyond all belief. I'm an 31 year old junior with a 3.9 GPA at a well respected liberal arts school. I worked as an audit analyst for the ten years between high school and college. When I was downsized in 2009, my wife decided to saddle up for seven years and put me through undergrad and law school (law is my dream and she thinks I'm really smart). Anyway, even though she'd be happy with me working for legal aid as long as I could put food on the table (yeah right, I know), the fact of the matter is, I owe her big time, she wants kids and the picket fence, so do I and I dont care how many hours I have to work to get it.

Here's the delima, I took the LSAT in June, my average on my PTs was 165 but with scores ranging between 159 and 168 (if I got the right games I killed it, if I had the wrong games or a RC about someone who changes literature forever I bombed). The point I'm meandering to is this, after reading these boards, I've come to realize that if I dont crack T6 (where I will crush anyone who stands in my way with my bare brain) that I wont be able to make the money needed to pay off student loans in a timely fashion and actually have a chance at a family, I just dont have 5 years to prove myself at a mid-level firm after law school.

So if I score within two points of my average, would I really have a decent shot at T6?

Sorry and thank you, simultaneously. I've read 100s of threads on this site and you guys do everyone a great service. Speaking of service, my softs are pretty much non-existent too.

What kind of URM are you?

AA male.

Yeah if you get a 165+ you have a pretty decent shot at the T6 and HYS. Heck maybe even a full ride at a low T14.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:29 pm

Wormfather wrote:
Mad Hatter wrote:
Wormfather wrote:I've come to realize that if I dont crack T6 (where I will crush anyone who stands in my way with my bare brain)

What the hell does this even mean? If you don't get T6 you aren't going to try as hard? If you do you can guarantee top grades on randomly graded tests? You seem really confused.

Sorry, I was trying to comically note that I believe that I can compete at a T6. I'll work hard wherever I end up. T6 or TTT.

Don't go to a TTT (Unless it's the only school in its market)

spek

Postby spek » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:28 am

I don't think there's anything wrong with saying law school is only worth it for you if you get T6 (or significant $$$ at a lower T14). You have a great GPA and I think with a 165+ you'll be in good shape. Play around with LSN and see how well AA males with your GPA and your average LSAT did. If you don't like the results, study hard for the Oct. LSAT to make sure you put yourself in the best position possible. Hit 170 and I think you'll have an amazing cycle. Good luck!

flcath

Postby flcath » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:35 am

Why all the T6 bashing? It's a pretty meaningful distinction, with the caveat that NYU lags a little within the category and Penn is almost as good outside of it. (How is that difference from the T14 and the GULC/Vandy issue?)

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:03 am

flcath wrote:Why all the T6 bashing? It's a pretty meaningful distinction, with the caveat that NYU lags a little within the category and Penn is almost as good outside of it. (How is that difference from the T14 and the GULC/Vandy issue?)

I wasn't bashing the T6. I think that OP was putting way too much pressure on himself because he was worrying about not getting a T6. Once he has his score, then he can get constructive advice.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:44 am

flcath wrote:Why all the T6 bashing? It's a pretty meaningful distinction, with the caveat that NYU lags a little within the category and Penn is almost as good outside of it. (How is that difference from the T14 and the GULC/Vandy issue?)

You are right that it is a meaningful distinction, but for nonsplitters the choice is usually between a lower T14 with a significant scholarship and a T6 with little to no money. So that factor blurs the decision for many.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:22 am

Where are you getting your information from. Anywhere within T-14 you will be fine!

I have no clue why you are limiting it to T-6, as if Georgetown, Michigan, etc will not give you great job prospects. Im confused.

Mad Hatter

Postby Mad Hatter » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:33 am

Also, you may want to evaluate your employability prospects upon graduation. I have no idea how keen biglaw firms are on hiring a 35-year-old with a family (other commitments/flight risk/less energetic/older than some partners). Definitely worth looking into, because if they do hesitate to hire someone of your age, you may be better off going to a lower-ranked school and graduate debt-free.

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:38 am

I feel like your safety is a full ride to Northwestern. You'll have plenty of viable options

hume85

Postby hume85 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:08 am

It's funny that OP thinks he is going to crush law school, when he appears to be a complete idiot.

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:30 am

hume85 wrote:It's funny that OP thinks he is going to crush law school, when he appears to be a complete idiot.
That's pretty big talk for a Hume fan.

hume85

Postby hume85 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:36 am

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:
hume85 wrote:It's funny that OP thinks he is going to crush law school, when he appears to be a complete idiot.
That's pretty big talk for a Hume fan.

Hume was the first to pose some insanely difficult to answer questions.
Last edited by hume85 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

hume85

Postby hume85 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:42 am

Wormfather wrote:

Lol. I have finally arrived on TLS. Thank you for trolling my cherry.

It was going to happen sooner or later; some of your other posts were borderline irritating, and if your original post in this thread is genuine you seem, at the least, to be moderately ill-informed.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:44 am

Wormfather wrote:
Miracle wrote:Where are you getting your information from. Anywhere within T-14 you will be fine!

I have no clue why you are limiting it to T-6, as if Georgetown, Michigan, etc will not give you great job prospects. Im confused.

I guess i was a bit vague, I prefer to come back to the NYC area after law school and while Georgetown, Duke, and others in the T14 still offer prospects for Big Law NYC, they are less of a lock.

Mind you, that most of this info has been gleamed from info on TLS, including posts that may not be representative of the majority of students.

Your targets should be Y>H>Columbia>N>P>Cornel>the rest of the T14 (excluding Berkeley)>>>>>>Berkeley(?)> Fordham>Vandy/UCLA/USC/UT if your goal is NY bigla

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:09 am

hume85 wrote:
Wormfather wrote:

It was going to happen sooner or later; some of your other posts were borderline irritating, and if your original post in this thread is genuine you seem, at the least, to be moderately ill-informed.

I dont know what to say about those titties.

OP, dont worry. At this point, your cycle is impossible to predict, because 159 and 168 are worlds apart. If you dont get T6, then T14 with some money is not a bad place to be. If you dont like you're score, retake in October. Youll be fine :D

hume85

Postby hume85 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:47 am

Wormfather wrote:
hume85 wrote:
Wormfather wrote:

I'll accept your premises:

Borderline irritating + moderately ill informed --->Complete Idiot ----> Cannot crush law school

Shit, I guess it's med school then.

I was being gracious when I said borderline and moderately, and I was trolling egregiously when I said complete idiot. But in all seriousness you need to consider a few things. First, you have little idea whether you can compete at a T6; they are full of smart hard working people. Second, Penn and NU have NLJ 250 placement as good as or not too far behind CCN; Berkeley and Virginia also place very well. Third, with a 3.9 and being an AA male, as long as you score as well as your average you should be competitive at Chicago and NYU. Take a look at LSN for confirmation. These are the reasons I said moderate was gracious.

hume85

Postby hume85 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:49 am

Nova wrote:
hume85 wrote:
Wormfather wrote:

I dont know what to say about those titties.

Be honest with yourself, and say what you think.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:58 am

Let us know what your actual score is and we'll tell you where you can crush it. 160+/3.9 AA male has a solid chance at ALL T6 though, just FYI.

jgloster

Postby jgloster » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:31 pm

I like the Norma Stitz avatar

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”