AA Male (3.32 159) Opinions Please

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
TreyTrey
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:43 pm

AA Male (3.32 159) Opinions Please

Postby TreyTrey » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:02 pm

LSDAS GPA: 3.32

LSAT: 159 (Taken 3 times)

Graduated December 2011, no spectacular work exp (customer service jobs).. Decent Softs and LORS.. Very strong upward grade trend, if that matters.

Applying first day apps open..

Will apply T-14 minus HYS, also a lot of Tier 1 Schools in South (Vandy, UGA, etc..)

What are my chances at breaking top 14? MVP? Would it be wise to ED?

Any opinions appreciated, thanks in advance!

User avatar
sharktankdean
Posts: 663
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:57 pm

Re: AA Male (3.32 159) Opinions Please

Postby sharktankdean » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:35 pm

I would say you should target the the lower T-14 schools (Duke, Cornell, and GULC), its really hard to predict this because your cycle could also end up like this http://lawschoolnumbers.com/miracle2011/jd depending on the strength of your application. I think you should message this applicant ( he has the same name on TLS) and get some tips from him.

Also don't let it come across that you think our job is not spectacular, I'm sure you have experienced some challenges and made some noteworthy accomplishments at your job.

User avatar
irish1485
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:25 pm

Re: AA Male (3.32 159) Opinions Please

Postby irish1485 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:51 pm

sharktankdean wrote:I would say you should target the the lower T-14 schools (Duke, Cornell, and GULC), its really hard to predict this because your cycle could also end up like this http://lawschoolnumbers.com/miracle2011/jd depending on the strength of your application. I think you should message this applicant ( he has the same name on TLS) and get some tips from him.

Also don't let it come across that you think our job is not spectacular, I'm sure you have experienced some challenges and made some noteworthy accomplishments at your job.


+1, I would target the lower T-14.

I agree your cycle could end up being hard to predict, however, applying early can only help.

If I had to guess if the rest of your app (PS, LORs, etc) is strong with an early app you should have a good chance to snag at least 1 lower T-14.

TreyTrey
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:43 pm

Re: AA Male (3.32 159) Opinions Please

Postby TreyTrey » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:06 pm

Thanks guys!

Yea I be sure to not let my work exp come across as unspectacular, I just wanted show that it wasn't going to be anything game changing.

Any other opinions?

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: AA Male (3.32 159) Opinions Please

Postby JustE » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:30 pm

Good luck, but please cast a wide net. That guy was from a T10 undergrad and I believe that helped him out a bit on his GPA. Also be prepared to ride out the wait lists. Things have been pretty crazy this year for URMs on wait lists. I would blanket the T-14 and send several apps to T1 schools in the region you'd like to work in. It's a toss-up.

If there's a school you're in love with, then feel free to ED. Just make sure you love the school. You may get into a T14 a little quicker w/ ED, but you'll obviously be unable to negotiate financial aid offers which is huge.

Here's my cycle from this year if you're interested: http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/maroonurm

User avatar
tooswolle
Posts: 491
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:48 am

Re: AA Male (3.32 159) Opinions Please

Postby tooswolle » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:38 pm

We're close to the same numbers except I'm a MA male. My cycle went well I got in to a few schools and got waitlisted at a couple. Urm cycles are very unpredictable so cast as wide a net as you can and I'm sure you'll be happy with at least one acceptance you get.

TreyTrey
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:43 pm

Re: AA Male (3.32 159) Opinions Please

Postby TreyTrey » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:44 pm

Appreciate it guys I definitely plan on casting a wide net, I already got the LSAC fee waiver which should help.

Right now it looks like I'll be applying to about 25 schools.

User avatar
irish1485
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:25 pm

Re: AA Male (3.32 159) Opinions Please

Postby irish1485 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:48 pm

Here's a guy from LSN who had a 3.3/159 and got into Penn, UVA, and Vandy. Don't know how legit this profile is but I did have a friend whose numbers were in this range and got $$ from Vandy this cycle.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/nnpdblues/jd

Virtuosoplayer4
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:09 pm

Re: AA Male (3.32 159) Opinions Please

Postby Virtuosoplayer4 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:30 pm

I am nnpdblues, and the cycle is legit. In addition, I received scholarship money from every school I was accepted to except UVA. My advice is the same as the other post, cast a wide net. Place special emphasis on your personal statement because it can capture your intellect and character in a way numbers will not. I got profs from my last year in college to write my recommendations and a manager who helped me get promoted my first year out of school(2 years WE) . Also, write diversity statements, why x statements, and any other statements you can to paint a holistic picture.

Keep ya head up despite your numbers and put in work on what you can control from this point on. Go H.A.M! PM me if you want more info about my cycle. Good luck!

TreyTrey
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:43 pm

Re: AA Male (3.32 159) Opinions Please

Postby TreyTrey » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:00 pm

Virtuosoplayer4 wrote:I am nnpdblues, and the cycle is legit. In addition, I received scholarship money from every school I was accepted to except UVA. My advice is the same as the other post, cast a wide net. Place special emphasis on your personal statement because it can capture your intellect and character in a way numbers will not. I got profs from my last year in college to write my recommendations and a manager who helped me get promoted my first year out of school(2 years WE) . Also, write diversity statements, why x statements, and any other statements you can to paint a holistic picture.

Keep ya head up despite your numbers and put in work on what you can control from this point on. Go H.A.M! PM me if you want more info about my cycle. Good luck!


Thanks irish1485 for the link..

Virtuosoplayer4: Congrats on your cycle! I shoot you a PM.

User avatar
MormonChristian
Posts: 214
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:33 pm

Re: AA Male (3.32 159) Opinions Please

Postby MormonChristian » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:51 am

TreyTrey wrote:LSDAS GPA: 3.32

LSAT: 159 (Taken 3 times)

Graduated December 2011, no spectacular work exp (customer service jobs).. Decent Softs and LORS.. Very strong upward grade trend, if that matters.

Applying first day apps open..

Will apply T-14 minus HYS, also a lot of Tier 1 Schools in South (Vandy, UGA, etc..)

What are my chances at breaking top 14? MVP? Would it be wise to ED?

Any opinions appreciated, thanks in advance!



Apply and see what happens. It is too difficult with all the flux to definitively determine anything, or even properly gauge chances.

Best of luck and congratulations on getting this far!

User avatar
Helicio
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: AA Male (3.32 159) Opinions Please

Postby Helicio » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:26 pm

Retake in October or no?

Edit: Nevermind, saw you have taken 3 times. Good luck man and best wishes!

TreyTrey
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:43 pm

Re: AA Male (3.32 159) Opinions Please

Postby TreyTrey » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:08 pm

Helicio wrote:Retake in October or no?

Edit: Nevermind, saw you have taken 3 times. Good luck man and best wishes!


Yea, thanks man..

That's one thing I regret, wish I'd found this forum earlier, the LSAT section looks like it has some great study guides/ advice on the LSAT.. I didn't study much but hopefully my score will still be somewhat competitive.

User avatar
Helicio
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: AA Male (3.32 159) Opinions Please

Postby Helicio » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:51 pm

TreyTrey wrote:
Helicio wrote:Retake in October or no?

Edit: Nevermind, saw you have taken 3 times. Good luck man and best wishes!


Yea, thanks man..

That's one thing I regret, wish I'd found this forum earlier, the LSAT section looks like it has some great study guides/ advice on the LSAT.. I didn't study much but hopefully my score will still be somewhat competitive.


Go on Law School Numbers and look at URMs. I'm not URM so I can't tell you too much but you definitely have a shot at some good schools. Keep your chin up and blanket the T14. You might be surprised.

TreyTrey
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:43 pm

Re: AA Male (3.32 159) Opinions Please

Postby TreyTrey » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:35 pm

Helicio wrote:
TreyTrey wrote:
Helicio wrote:Retake in October or no?

Edit: Nevermind, saw you have taken 3 times. Good luck man and best wishes!


Yea, thanks man..

That's one thing I regret, wish I'd found this forum earlier, the LSAT section looks like it has some great study guides/ advice on the LSAT.. I didn't study much but hopefully my score will still be somewhat competitive.


Go on Law School Numbers and look at URMs. I'm not URM so I can't tell you too much but you definitely have a shot at some good schools. Keep your chin up and blanket the T14. You might be surprised.


Thanks!.. I've been looking on LSN to get a feel for what I might expect, looks like it can go either way..

Looks like the best thing is just make sure I have everything ready the first day apps open and see what happens.

User avatar
Helicio
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: AA Male (3.32 159) Opinions Please

Postby Helicio » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:52 pm

TreyTrey wrote:
Helicio wrote:
TreyTrey wrote:
Helicio wrote:Retake in October or no?

Edit: Nevermind, saw you have taken 3 times. Good luck man and best wishes!


Yea, thanks man..

That's one thing I regret, wish I'd found this forum earlier, the LSAT section looks like it has some great study guides/ advice on the LSAT.. I didn't study much but hopefully my score will still be somewhat competitive.


Go on Law School Numbers and look at URMs. I'm not URM so I can't tell you too much but you definitely have a shot at some good schools. Keep your chin up and blanket the T14. You might be surprised.


Thanks!.. I've been looking on LSN to get a feel for what I might expect, looks like it can go either way..

Looks like the best thing is just make sure I have everything ready the first day apps open and see what happens.


Yup! Just make sure you blanket the T14s (except perhaps for HYS). Don't listen to the people who say just apply to lower T14s; again, you may be surprised. URM cycles are a bit unpredictable.

Good luck bud.

TreyTrey
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:43 pm

Re: AA Male (3.32 159) Opinions Please

Postby TreyTrey » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:06 am

Helicio wrote:Yup! Just make sure you blanket the T14s (except perhaps for HYS). Don't listen to the people who say just apply to lower T14s; again, you may be surprised. URM cycles are a bit unpredictable.

Good luck bud.


Will do! Thanks a lot man..

User avatar
PARTY
Posts: 420
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: AA Male (3.32 159) Opinions Please

Postby PARTY » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:09 am

sad to say, but there might be a little over-optimism ITT.

User avatar
irish1485
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:25 pm

Re: AA Male (3.32 159) Opinions Please

Postby irish1485 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:53 am

PARTY wrote:sad to say, but there might be a little over-optimism ITT.


http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Lace412

AA male 3.4/158 (Vandy, Cornell)

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/ag2ga

AA female 3.4/160 (Cornell)

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/QueMellow

AA male 3.4/161 (Penn, Cornell, Georgetown)

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Elric

AA female 3.4/161( Cornell, Michigan, Penn, USC)

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/chiefrfr

3.5/155 (Michigan, Vandy, Duke)


ED route:
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/vdjenkins

AA Male 3.0/160 (ED at UVA)

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/BeanieBean

AA Male 3.1/161 (Ed at UVA)


I know a couple people with numbers around OP's who got similar results..while OP may not get t14 his chances look pretty good at Vandy.. And with a strong,early application I wouldn't be suprised at all if he got multiple t14 offers..

User avatar
PARTY
Posts: 420
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: AA Male (3.32 159) Opinions Please

Postby PARTY » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:56 am

irish1485 wrote:
PARTY wrote:sad to say, but there might be a little over-optimism ITT.


http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Lace412

AA male 3.4/158 (Vandy, Cornell)

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/ag2ga

AA female 3.4/160 (Cornell)

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/QueMellow

AA male 3.4/161 (Penn, Cornell, Georgetown)

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Elric

AA female 3.4/161( Cornell, Michigan, Penn, USC)

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/chiefrfr

3.5/155 (Michigan, Vandy, Duke)

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/vdjenkins

ED route:
AA Male 3.0/160 (ED at UVA)

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/BeanieBean

AA Male 3.1/161 (Ed at UVA)


I know a couple people with numbers around OP's who got similar results..while OP may not get t14 his chances look pretty good at Vandy.. And with a strong,early application I wouldn't be suprised at all if he got mutliple t14 offers..


his numbers are different from those sets. an LSAT point or two counts. T14? maybe. vandy and lower? sure.

and that one 155 guy had an A average, which is better than a mid B average.

User avatar
irish1485
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:25 pm

Re: AA Male (3.32 159) Opinions Please

Postby irish1485 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:00 am

PARTY wrote:
irish1485 wrote:
PARTY wrote:sad to say, but there might be a little over-optimism ITT.


http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Lace412

AA male 3.4/158 (Vandy, Cornell)

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/ag2ga

AA female 3.4/160 (Cornell)

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/QueMellow

AA male 3.4/161 (Penn, Cornell, Georgetown)

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Elric

AA female 3.4/161( Cornell, Michigan, Penn, USC)

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/chiefrfr

3.5/155 (Michigan, Vandy, Duke)

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/vdjenkins

ED route:
AA Male 3.0/160 (ED at UVA)

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/BeanieBean

AA Male 3.1/161 (Ed at UVA)


I know a couple people with numbers around OP's who got similar results..while OP may not get t14 his chances look pretty good at Vandy.. And with a strong,early application I wouldn't be suprised at all if he got mutliple t14 offers..


his numbers are different from those sets. an LSAT point or two counts. T14? maybe. vandy and lower? sure.

and that one 155 guy had an A average, which is better than a mid B average.


The statement in red is all everyone's been saying..and yea sorry I could find EXACT numbers, not a lot of URM's on LSN..

OP, apply first day apps come out, I think you'll like your results :D

TreyTrey
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:43 pm

Re: AA Male (3.32 159) Opinions Please

Postby TreyTrey » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:13 am

Hey thanks for the links irish, sort of gives me an idea if I want to narrow my list down a little.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: AA Male (3.32 159) Opinions Please

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:15 am

TreyTrey wrote:
Helicio wrote:Retake in October or no?

Edit: Nevermind, saw you have taken 3 times. Good luck man and best wishes!


Yea, thanks man..

That's one thing I regret, wish I'd found this forum earlier, the LSAT section looks like it has some great study guides/ advice on the LSAT.. I didn't study much but hopefully my score will still be somewhat competitive.

If you never really studied then study/retake is still the right answer.

TreyTrey
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:43 pm

Re: AA Male (3.32 159) Opinions Please

Postby TreyTrey » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:23 am

vanwinkle wrote:
TreyTrey wrote:
Helicio wrote:Retake in October or no?

Edit: Nevermind, saw you have taken 3 times. Good luck man and best wishes!


Yea, thanks man..

That's one thing I regret, wish I'd found this forum earlier, the LSAT section looks like it has some great study guides/ advice on the LSAT.. I didn't study much but hopefully my score will still be somewhat competitive.

If you never really studied then study/retake is still the right answer.


Yea I don't think I'll be eligible to take it again until June, if I'm not happy with my cycle I think that's what I'll do..

User avatar
Helicio
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: AA Male (3.32 159) Opinions Please

Postby Helicio » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:53 am

Retaking would dramatically improve your chances. If you study the Powerscore Bibles and break 163 your chances skyrocket.

Definitely apply, but if you are unhappy with your results I would simply retake then hope for the best.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest