Atheism considered an URM/Diversity Statement Worthy?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
JohnV

Re: Atheism considered an URM/Diversity Statement Worthy?

Postby JohnV » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:30 am

aca0260 wrote:OP - think before trolling.

Are Browns fans URM's because the Browns blow? They are a minority with regards to population and they have likely suffered the same degree of harship as an atheist in contemporary America. Use your head.

If people denied Brown's fans jobs because of their fan-status, then yes.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:30 am

JohnV wrote: The guy said it in his post lol.

where are you called a hedonist?

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:31 am

JohnV wrote:Please tell me there is just a really active and on-the-ball troll community here...
Ding!

JohnV

Postby JohnV » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:32 am

Mr. Pancakes wrote:

Claiming someone has a lack of moral compass combined with the inference that they do what they want because I don't believe things like "lying" are bad things can be adequately equated to calling someone a hedonist.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:32 am

JohnV wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
JohnV wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Being an atheist is hard. I can understand why you would want to tell schools of the burden, or cross, you bear.

Is it any less hard than being Mexican, black, or gay? I don't really see Jim Crow laws around anymore, rather the opposite, so I see the 'struggle' as more or less equivalent.

It's clearly equally as hard, if not moreso, in today's United States. The higher rates of imprisoned atheists reflects this. Same with atheists below the poverty line.

These are reflective of economic backgrounds. But URM doesn't include just "poor", does it?

Which are completely independent of racial makeup, of course. This is why we can clearly see that atheists are unique in the atrocious treatment they recieve. I've heard that nearly 1/4 of atheist males will be incarcerated at some point in their lives. This cuts across economic factors and just goes to show how much the state hates non-believers. Preach it, reverend.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:32 am

JohnV wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:

Claiming someone has a lack of moral compass combined with the inference that they do what they want because I don't believe things like "lying" are bad things can be adequately equated to calling someone a hedonist.

sounds like you are making assumptions.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:32 am

JohnV wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:

....wut

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:33 am

JohnV wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
JohnV wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Being an atheist is hard. I can understand why you would want to tell schools of the burden, or cross, you bear.

Is it any less hard than being Mexican, black, or gay? I don't really see Jim Crow laws around anymore, rather the opposite, so I see the 'struggle' as more or less equivalent.

It's clearly equally as hard, if not moreso, in today's United States. The higher rates of imprisoned atheists reflects this. Same with atheists below the poverty line.

These are reflective of economic backgrounds. But URM doesn't include just "poor", does it?

you may be poor, but the "URM boost" is based on groups, not individuals.

atheism is correlated with wealth, so your application should actually be downgraded.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:34 am

fatduck wrote:atheism is correlated with wealth, so your application should actually be downgraded.

Bigot

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:35 am

I'm going to try and reasonably answer your post OP . . .

1). Atheism/LGBT are not URMs. URMs are people who identify as African American, Native American, Mexican American, or Puerto Rican.

2). Insofar as a diversity statement is concerned, if you actually practice Atheism and you see that as your personal viewpoint on the world then you could craft it as a DS. I say this because law schools want people who have different experiences and different viewpoints. People of minority religions in America do have a diverse perspective. This is why LGBT, socio-economic status, etc. all count as things which people write about in DSs.

Now . . .

I don't know if you're actually atheist. I don't know if it's something you use in your everyday life. I suspect that it's not, because you're being a gigantic asshat about everything. But, you cannot claim some random belief just to use it in a DS. There needs to be a solid, legitimate reason that you believe your diverse perspective in this area warrants extra information to be given to the adcomm.

And stop sucking all the cock.

JohnV

Postby JohnV » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:36 am

bjsesq wrote:Which are completely independent of racial makeup, of course. This is why we can clearly see that atheists are unique in the atrocious treatment they recieve. I've heard that nearly 1/4 of atheist males will be incarcerated at some point in their lives. This cuts across economic factors and just goes to show how much the state hates non-believers. Preach it, reverend.

Correlation does not imply causation. Historical backgrounds may have lead a certain race to be poorer on average than another but clearly a more adequate solution would be to remedy the cause (being poor) rather than a correlating factor (being a different color). Besides, you've misconstrued my argument. I brought up 2 different types of minority status in my OP. First, was atheist, which was a cultural minority status. The other, the one you have replaced with atheism, was my financial status. You have combined 2 arguments that I have presented to make yours seem more intelligible when in reality it is an inaccurate representation of my position and ignores the point at hand.

JohnV

Postby JohnV » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:37 am

thelawschoolproject wrote:
I don't know if you're actually atheist. I don't know if it's something you use in your everyday life. I suspect that it's not, because you're being a gigantic asshat about everything. But, you cannot claim some random belief just to use it in a DS. There needs to be a solid, legitimate reason that you believe your diverse perspective in this area warrants extra information to be given to the adcomm.

Lol, and homophobia enters the thread. Fantastic.

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:38 am

thelawschoolproject wrote:practice Atheism

:?:

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:38 am

JohnV wrote:

think metaphorically

TurtlesAllTheWayDown

Postby TurtlesAllTheWayDown » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:38 am

JohnV wrote:
Because you aren't disadvantaged in any way because of your atheism, short of having to endure some awful faux-intellectual conversations. Minority doesn't equal disadvantaged. I'm not sure what part of Texas you are from, but I don't think I've ever seen any persecution of atheists.

Are you kidding me? You know how volatile this topic is in Texas? I mean look at this forum, I asked a simple question and the first couple of post assumed I was a hedonistic demon spawn. There are PLENTY of cases of people being fired which lead back to their atheism coming to the forefront.

It's been my experience that any "persecution" an atheist experiences is due to how intolerable they are about being an atheist (not implying that you are this way). Same thing for Christians or anyone else who feels strongly about anything, really. It's not persecution if people dislike you for being an asshole.

That's true on some cases, probably less so where I'm from. I don't know where you are writing from but I get a lot of the "You don't have morals" kind of talk any time I let people know that I'm not part of their club and it's a pretty compelling reason for employers (or any social function) not to allow you access.

Write about your economic hardships. That's more compelling, anyway.

I most likely will, if admissions boards are even a fraction of as bigoted as this forum has been it's probably a good idea to hide (and lie, I guess?) about my own personal beliefs. Lol, how's that for morality?

Eh, maybe you are from rural Texas but us city-folk don't care nearly as much about that sort of thing. We're still Bible Belt and all, we just don't talk about it as much. If your atheism is at the forefront of your life, then you're (again, not your necessarily. the royal we.) probably being persecuted for being insufferable. If an employer isn't hiring you because he knows you are an atheist, it's probably not your atheism per se that is keeping you from getting the job.

Maybe some people have suffered disadvantages because of their atheism, but I doubt you are one of them (other than getting trolled pretty hard here, but you kind of deserve it, at least a little). There are enough boisterous assholes out there to carry the atheism cross (as someone so glibly put it earlier), so there is no need to be another one. It alienates you from everyone except for other boisterous atheism assholes, and they are a small, obnoxious group. They are like the Westboro Baptist Church of atheists.

Also, no one has really been bigoted. It's just how TLS let's you know that atheism as a diversity topic is a really, really bad idea.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:39 am

JohnV wrote:

assumption.

Broseidon

Postby Broseidon » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:39 am

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
JohnV wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:

sounds like you are making assumptions.

But are you not making an assumption in saying he is making an assumption?

JohnV

Postby JohnV » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:39 am

Mr. Pancakes wrote:assumption.

Troll better. Being wrong over and over so I can continuously correct you is boring.

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:40 am

JohnV wrote:

Filatio is possible for all.

VasaVasori

Postby VasaVasori » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:40 am

I think this would be a bad idea. I couldn't see it possibly helping your application, but it could hurt, especially if you get a conservative or extremely religious file reviewer. As a fellow atheist/agnostic, I can tell you that I have faced much more trouble in my life because of my sexuality than because of my non-religion. Even more, religion is a choice, whereas sexuality is not. But, as you've seen above, not even LGBT status is considered by members of this forum to be a URM quality.

If I were you, I would try to incorporate your disadvantage into your PS, or write a DS focusing on socioeconomic diversity. I'm not sure if the latter is a typical thing to do, but I bet it couldn't hurt, especially if you truly are of a lower socioeconomic status. Per http://www.top-law-schools.com/chapter12.html, "Most commonly, diversity statements deal with issues of socio-economic class, disability, and race," so it might make sense to do that.
Last edited by VasaVasori on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:40 am

JohnV wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Which are completely independent of racial makeup, of course. This is why we can clearly see that atheists are unique in the atrocious treatment they recieve. I've heard that nearly 1/4 of atheist males will be incarcerated at some point in their lives. This cuts across economic factors and just goes to show how much the state hates non-believers. Preach it, reverend.

Correlation does not imply causation. Historical backgrounds may have lead a certain race to be poorer on average than another but clearly a more adequate solution would be to remedy the cause (being poor) rather than a correlating factor (being a different color). Besides, you've misconstrued my argument. I brought up 2 different types of minority status in my OP. First, was atheist, which was a cultural minority status. The other, the one you have replaced with atheism, was my financial status. You have combined 2 arguments that I have presented to make yours seem more intelligible when in reality it is an inaccurate representation of my position and ignores the point at hand.

Hey, I'm on your side. I think separating historical and social context is the only way to truly get to the heart of the matter. When we do that, we can see why atheists have suffered and are just as deserving of a little extra love as say, a gay male from Wyoming. Or an african american woman who grew up on Chicago's south side. You've walked a hard road, man. Because of your atheism.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:41 am

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
JohnV wrote:

assumption.

You are bearsgrling the hell out him. :lol:

If there is a hell, that is.
Last edited by Nova on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:41 am

There is no way that Greek philosophers actually believed in the gods. Those were created and written about to keep the lay people in line.
Last edited by laxbrah420 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:42 am

Broseidon wrote: But are you not making an assumption in saying he is making an assumption?

touche'

JohnV

Postby JohnV » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:42 am

JohnV wrote:

Filatio is possible for all.

To infer it as a negative thing to an obviously male user make it a homophobic statement.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”