Atheism considered an URM/Diversity Statement Worthy?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Broseidon

Re: Atheism considered an URM/Diversity Statement Worthy?

Postby Broseidon » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:54 am

fatduck wrote:unfortunately douches are heavily over-represented in law school.

Assumption.

fronkman

Postby fronkman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:54 am

JohnV wrote:
thelawschoolproject wrote:
JohnV wrote:
thelawschoolproject wrote:
And stop sucking all the cock.

Lol, and homophobia enters the thread. Fantastic.

Filatio is possible for all.

To infer it as a negative thing to an obviously male user make it a homophobic statement.

She didn't infer it was negative for a guy to suck cock, she inferred it was negative for you to keep sucking all the cocks. Like, leave some to go around, man.

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:54 am

There are far too few who vigorously advocate for freedom of thought and belief. JohnV, you should make this your life's pursuit. One day, this advocacy will demonstrate that you DO have a moral compass, AND that you are worthy of respect and law school admission.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:54 am

FWIW, since it really hasn't been addressed, you can't claim URM status because that's strictly defined by LSAC. On the other hand, this would make a very good diversity statement and I'd be happy to read it if you want to PM it to me. One thing to keep in mind when writing diversity statements is that you need to not only describe why you are different, but also why this difference will make the school as a whole better off. I'd focus on keywords/ideas like "Truth" and "Overcoming oppression"

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:56 am

laxbrah420 wrote:FWIW, since it really hasn't been addressed, you can't claim URM status because that's strictly defined by LSAC. On the other hand, this would make a very good diversity statement and I'd be happy to read it if you want to PM it to me. One thing to keep in mind when writing diversity statements is that you need to not only describe why you are different, but also why this difference will make the school as a whole better off. I'd focus on keywords/ideas like "Truth" and "Overcoming oppression"

I tried, brah...back on page 3...

thelawschoolproject wrote:I'm going to try and reasonably answer your post OP . . .

1). Atheism/LGBT are not URMs. URMs are people who identify as African American, Native American, Mexican American, or Puerto Rican.

2). Insofar as a diversity statement is concerned, if you actually practice Atheism and you see that as your personal viewpoint on the world then you could craft it as a DS. I say this because law schools want people who have different experiences and different viewpoints. People of minority religions in America do have a diverse perspective. This is why LGBT, socio-economic status, etc. all count as things which people write about in DSs.

JohnV

Postby JohnV » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:58 am

laxbrah420 wrote:FWIW, since it really hasn't been addressed, you can't claim URM status because that's strictly defined by LSAC. On the other hand, this would make a very good diversity statement and I'd be happy to read it if you want to PM it to me. One thing to keep in mind when writing diversity statements is that you need to not only describe why you are different, but also why this difference will make the school as a whole better off. I'd focus on keywords/ideas like "Truth" and "Overcoming oppression"

If Adcomms are anything like this forum (or like the average person in the U.S.) I think it might hurt me more than help me to try and claim that this has been an obstacle, even if there is truth to that statement. I guess to really understand the motivation behind this thread you'd have to have lived in the rural south (or somewhere where religion is kind of a big deal in everyday life).

EDIT: Hurt me for 2 reasons. The first being actual discrimination, the second being flippant "You can't be discriminated against if you are white, regardless any other factors" belief that pre-dominates white middle class christian America.
Last edited by JohnV on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:59 am

JohnV why are you arguing about atheism? You are being trolled. Obviously religion isn't necessary for morals, that is just silly.

BmoreOrLess

Postby BmoreOrLess » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:59 am

JohnV wrote:

If Adcomms are anything like this forum I think it might hurt me more than help me to try and claim that this has been an obstacle, even if there is truth to that statement. I guess to really understand the motivation behind this thread you'd have to have lived in the rural south (or somewhere where religion is kind of a big deal in everyday life).

I don't think your "obstacles" are the issue. As long as you don't come across as a douche like you have in this thread you should be fine.

JohnV

Postby JohnV » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:00 pm

Teoeo wrote:JohnV why are you arguing about atheism? You are being trolled. Obviously religion isn't necessary for morals, that is just silly.

I'm trying to kill time at work.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:00 pm

JohnV, you should listen to this song on repeat until you snap out of this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON9HXKq0tMY

twenty

Postby twenty » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:00 pm

As far as atheism giving you URM status: It does. There are, like, no atheists in law school. Enjoy Yale.

JohnV

Postby JohnV » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:01 pm

BmoreOrLess wrote:I don't think your "obstacles" are the issue. As long as you don't come across as a douche like you have in this thread you should be fine.

Honestly, I haven't even tried to come off as a douche. Please point out to me where I was "douchey". Was it when I defended myself as having morals or when I called someone out for being a homophobe? I'm clearly the real asshole of this thread.

MrBain_

Postby MrBain_ » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:01 pm

JohnV wrote:
Nova wrote:
JohnV wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:I thought you were atheist?

Why would you make that assumption?

JohnV wrote:Title explains it pretty well. I come from a very religious state (Texas) and I am clearly a minority in that sense. Other than that, I'm 100% white.

Doesn't mean I'm an atheist. Could mean I'm a host of things or a combination of several factors. All I ever claimed to be was 100% white.

JohnV

Postby JohnV » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:02 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:As far as atheism giving you URM status: It does. There are, like, no atheists in law school. Enjoy Yale.

Lol, admittedly I have no idea what the statistics are for Atheist in law school. That'd had been part of the information the original post was seeking, I guess.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:04 pm

JohnV wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:EDIT: Hurt me for 2 reasons. The first being actual discrimination, the second being flippant "You can't be discriminated against if you are white, regardless any other factors" belief that pre-dominates white middle class christian America.

Is it any less hard than being Mexican, black, or gay? I don't really see Jim Crow laws around anymore, rather the opposite, so I see the 'struggle' as more or less equivalent.

These are the same claim. Nuance is fun.

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:05 pm

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:OP pretty much got his answer. This has gone on long enough.

Generally I'd agree but I'd like clarification on one thing...

JohnV wrote:All I ever claimed to be was 100% white.

WTF does this mean? right now I imagine you look something like
--ImageRemoved--

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:06 pm

JohnV wrote:Please point out to me where I was "douchey".

From JUST the first page:

JohnV wrote: You must do terrible in LR sections.

I'm just going to assume you're a troll and wait for you to be banned.

I really expected a more intelligent or at least open minded group of people from this forum.

Please tell me there is just a really active and on-the-ball troll community here and that the majority of posters aren't this bigoted/dumb...

You must not read much philosophy because only an idiot with no sense of history would make that statement.
Last edited by Nova on Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

twenty

Postby twenty » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:06 pm

Because of my holier-than-thou-o-ye-of-TLS complex, I'll bite.

URM isn't "hello my name is Steve, I come from a rough area, I used to be addicted to crack", it's being part of an ethnic group that has been/is underrepresented in law schools. Pulling numbers out of my ass, let's say African-Americans make up 15% of the population, but only 2% of law school students. It's not that African-Americans have been discriminated against, it's that there are so few of them interested in going to law schools.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:07 pm

JohnV wrote:I really expected a more intelligent or at least open minded group of people from this forum....

never assume that we are more intelligent or that more intelligent people are open minded. this is a false assumption.

JohnV

Postby JohnV » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:08 pm

Nova wrote:
JohnV wrote:Please point out to me where I was "douchey".

From JUST the first page:

JohnV wrote: You must do terrible in LR sections.

I'm just going to assume you're a troll and wait for you to be banned.

I really expected a more intelligent or at least open minded group of people from this forum.

Please tell me there is just a really active and on-the-ball troll community here and that the majority of posters aren't this bigoted/dumb...

You must not read much philosophy because only an idiot with no sense of history would make that statement.

None of that was douchey. I was defending myself from being called immoral and responding to people being historically inaccurate in their bigotted remarks.

BmoreOrLess

Postby BmoreOrLess » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:09 pm

JohnV wrote:Honestly, I haven't even tried to come off as a douche. Please point out to me where I was "douchey". Was it when I defended myself as having morals or when I called someone out for being a homophobe? I'm clearly the real asshole of this thread.

JohnV wrote:Troll better. Being wrong over and over so I can continuously correct you is boring.
Last edited by BmoreOrLess on Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnV

Postby JohnV » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:10 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:Because of my holier-than-thou-o-ye-of-TLS complex, I'll bite.

URM isn't "hello my name is Steve, I come from a rough area, I used to be addicted to crack", it's being part of an ethnic group that has been/is underrepresented in law schools. Pulling numbers out of my ass, let's say African-Americans make up 15% of the population, but only 2% of law school students. It's not that African-Americans have been discriminated against, it's that there are so few of them interested in going to law schools.

I get that, I just don't get the logic behind it if it doesn't seek to obtain some sort of justice.

JohnV

Postby JohnV » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:11 pm

BmoreOrLess wrote:
JohnV wrote:Honestly, I haven't even tried to come off as a douche. Please point out to me where I was "douchey". Was it when I defended myself as having morals or when I called someone out for being a homophobe? I'm clearly the real asshole of this thread.

JohnV wrote:Those 2 things are not synonymous. You must do terrible in LR sections.

JohnV wrote:Please tell me there is just a really active and on-the-ball troll community here and that the majority of posters aren't this bigoted/dumb...

JohnV wrote:Absolutely no assumptions were made in the creation of your quoted post. You're an idiot.

JohnV wrote:Troll better. Being wrong over and over so I can continuously correct you is boring.

Again, me responding to people who gave me bigoted remarks. I called a person an idiot who called me retarded. And finally, calling an obvious troll a troll is douchey?

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:11 pm

“Heathen!!! Heathen!!!” These were the racial slurs I faced as child. My hometown community, in Rural Texas, is comprised primarily of people who are extremely religious; I am the only atheist I know. My mother always tried to warn me that although I was half an atheist and half white, I would face religious persecution as a result of my scientific and questioning ways. I was agnostic about her claim too however; all my friends were white and reasonable, and I never expected them to be so cruel over such a meaningless disagreement.

At the age of 12, when I decided to come out of the closet regarding my feelings for creatures of Higher Power, my mother moved me to an Agnostic town. As a social, energetic boy, I idd not expect to face problems when t came to my own religion of Atheism. Unforutnaley, I was sadly mistaken and the other children did not welcome me with open arms. Instead, they teased me, and called me crude names, like “Gallilelo Galigay”. To them, I was not like every other energetic boy, like my mom had assured me. I was different. I was not “one of them” and they made sure I knew that. All I could think about was how much I missed my small town where I felt that everyone loved me for who I was, even though I have no evidence of that and to believe that would violate the terms of my relationship with Athe. My mom and I moved back to my original town a year later, but the memory of not being accepted for wanting answers, not fables, has always stayed with me.

Unfortunately, when I moved back to my original town, things changed for the worse for me. Not only was I not welecomed with open arms, I was actually told to stop preaching about the lack of plausibility when it came to God and the ridiculousness of the traditions surrounding organized religion. Many people probably see this as a very minor experience with religious persecution, but to a 12 year old, it was much more than that. I actually lived in that town until I had the opportunity to go to college where I learned that most people are open-minded and don’t actually give a fuck if I’m an atheist. Still, I’m not able to get jobs in rural Texas and it still pains me today when I go home over breaks to see possible Atheists living in fear.
You should accept me at your Law school because I’m diverse and had to deal with oppression and hatred, and also because I seek the Truth.

Inspired by Lishi: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=25821
Last edited by laxbrah420 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aca0260

Postby aca0260 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:11 pm

JohnV wrote:
aca0260 wrote:OP - think before trolling.

Are Browns fans URM's because the Browns blow? They are a minority with regards to population and they have likely suffered the same degree of harship as an atheist in contemporary America. Use your head.

If people denied Brown's fans jobs because of their fan-status, then yes.

People get denied jobs for all sorts of reasons, often more trivial than fan-status. It's called preference, which is not synonymous with discrimination. Welcome to the real world.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”