Atheism considered an URM/Diversity Statement Worthy? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
JohnV

Bronze

Re: Atheism considered an URM/Diversity Statement Worthy?

Post by JohnV » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:12 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
JohnV wrote:I really expected a more intelligent or at least open minded group of people from this forum....
never assume that we are more intelligent or that more intelligent people are open minded. this is a false assumption.
Don't worry, I won't be making that mistake twice.

JohnV

Bronze

Post by JohnV » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:13 pm

aca0260 wrote:
JohnV wrote:
aca0260 wrote:OP - think before trolling.

Are Browns fans URM's because the Browns blow? They are a minority with regards to population and they have likely suffered the same degree of harship as an atheist in contemporary America. Use your head.
If people denied Brown's fans jobs because of their fan-status, then yes.
People get denied jobs for all sorts of reasons, often more trivial than fan-status. It's called preference, which is not synonymous with discrimination. Welcome to the real world.
That's not a real argument because it's not even factually correct. Denying someone a job/firing them from a job because of a personal characteristic that isn't a crime or relevant to the job IS discrimination. If you fired people for being Brown's fans, that'd be discrimination lol.

Broseidon

Gold

Post by Broseidon » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:15 pm

JohnV wrote:
aca0260 wrote:
JohnV wrote:
aca0260 wrote:OP - think before trolling.

Are Browns fans URM's because the Browns blow? They are a minority with regards to population and they have likely suffered the same degree of harship as an atheist in contemporary America. Use your head.
If people denied Brown's fans jobs because of their fan-status, then yes.
People get denied jobs for all sorts of reasons, often more trivial than fan-status. It's called preference, which is not synonymous with discrimination. Welcome to the real world.
That's not a real argument because it's not even factually correct. Denying someone a job/firing them from a job because of a personal characteristic that isn't a crime or relevant to the job IS discrimination. If you fired people for being Brown's fans, that'd be discrimination lol.
Physical or mental? Imma go with mental.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:19 pm

I'm not gonna wade through this thread because I could already tell from the first page that it was a shitstorm.

OP:

You're forgetting the UR in URM. But even in that sense, it doesn't really matter. Law schools have chosen to give boosts to a select group of ethnicities whom they consider to be underrepresented in law school and the legal profession. They don't make fine distinctions based on a particular state (even for schools in that state), but even then I would hazard that atheists are overrepresented in law school and the legal field (while still being a minority overall).

I would caution you against writing a DS about atheism. While it is possible to write one that comes off well, there is a much higher chance that it will come off as shit and annoy someone who reads. It's not worth risking that. If you want to write a DS about your low SES then go for it, you should do that.

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:19 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:FWIW, since it really hasn't been addressed, you can't claim URM status because that's strictly defined by LSAC. On the other hand, this would make a very good diversity statement and I'd be happy to read it if you want to PM it to me. One thing to keep in mind when writing diversity statements is that you need to not only describe why you are different, but also why this difference will make the school as a whole better off. I'd focus on keywords/ideas like "Truth" and "Overcoming oppression"

I tried, brah...back on page 3...
thelawschoolproject wrote:I'm going to try and reasonably answer your post OP . . .

1). Atheism/LGBT are not URMs. URMs are people who identify as African American, Native American, Mexican American, or Puerto Rican.

2). Insofar as a diversity statement is concerned, if you actually practice Atheism and you see that as your personal viewpoint on the world then you could craft it as a DS. I say this because law schools want people who have different experiences and different viewpoints. People of minority religions in America do have a diverse perspective. This is why LGBT, socio-economic status, etc. all count as things which people write about in DSs.
Bk beat me to the lock, so I'll just say: this was an excellent woosh.

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”