CHANCE ME! I cry at nite thinkin bout my chances

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
jgloster
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:53 pm

CHANCE ME! I cry at nite thinkin bout my chances

Postby jgloster » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:36 pm

Chance me:

AA Male
160 LSAT
2.7 GPA

1 year of work experience

What are my chances for Georgia State? Law School Predictor says I have none.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13910
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: CHANCE ME! I cry at nite thinkin bout my chances

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:44 pm

LSP isn't that great at predicting URMs, I believe.

Lawschoolnumbers is better, because it's real applications, not just percentages.

http://gsu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

You have a shot. Some lower GPAs got in this year compared to last year, and that trend may continue as applications continue to fall.

jgloster
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:53 pm

Re: CHANCE ME! I cry at nite thinkin bout my chances

Postby jgloster » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:49 pm

Thank you sir for the advice

abc12345675
Posts: 373
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:27 am

Re: CHANCE ME! I cry at nite thinkin bout my chances

Postby abc12345675 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:51 pm

jgloster wrote:Chance me:

AA Male
160 LSAT
2.7 GPA

1 year of work experience

What are my chances for Georgia State? Law School Predictor says I have none.


Why not try to retake? A few more points you get in with money and maybe have a shot at UGA

jgloster
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:53 pm

Re: CHANCE ME! I cry at nite thinkin bout my chances

Postby jgloster » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:32 pm

Don't feel like retaking (plus I'm poor) and only interested in Georgia State

User avatar
Gwen
Posts: 232
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:54 am

Re: CHANCE ME! I cry at nite thinkin bout my chances

Postby Gwen » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:54 am

jgloster wrote:Don't feel like retaking (plus I'm poor) and only interested in Georgia State

Shitty excuse, get a fee waiver if you're really "poor".

jgloster
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:53 pm

Re: CHANCE ME! I cry at nite thinkin bout my chances

Postby jgloster » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:51 pm

DOn't have time to retake, please chance me for Georgia State

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: CHANCE ME! I cry at nite thinkin bout my chances

Postby twenty » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:23 pm

You really don't have much. An NA applicant (roughly the same URM boost) had a 3.08 and a 159, and got outright dinged. While you don't have time to retake the LSAT, you seem to have plenty of time to fret over your chances.

This is going to sound harsh, but you kind of need it. Either nut up and retake, or shut up and enjoy not-UGA. None of us have time, interest, or energy. None of us "feel" like retaking. So either do it, or stop complaining about being poor/unavailable.

A four point increase will get you into UGA. Four frigging points.

EDIT> I was looking at UGA. I don't know about GSU. Who knows, maybe you'll get in.

jgloster
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:53 pm

Re: CHANCE ME! I cry at nite thinkin bout my chances

Postby jgloster » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:26 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:You really don't have much. An NA applicant (roughly the same URM boost) had a 3.08 and a 159, and got outright dinged. While you don't have time to retake the LSAT, you seem to have plenty of time to fret over your chances.

This is going to sound harsh, but you kind of need it. Either nut up and retake, or shut up and enjoy not-UGA. None of us have time, interest, or energy. None of us "feel" like retaking. So either do it, or stop complaining about being poor/unavailable.

A four point increase will get you into UGA. Four frigging points.

EDIT> I was looking at UGA. I don't know about GSU. Who knows, maybe you'll get in.


Thank you so much for your advice, that was some real talk there. But I'm definitely only interested in Georgia State, not UGA or anywhere else for that matter (for future reference).

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: CHANCE ME! I cry at nite thinkin bout my chances

Postby twenty » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:27 pm

Fair enough. I really don't think there's enough data to make a valid prediction about GSU's URM boost, though I wouldn't at all be surprised if you got in.

jgloster
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:53 pm

Re: CHANCE ME! I cry at nite thinkin bout my chances

Postby jgloster » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:49 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:Fair enough. I really don't think there's enough data to make a valid prediction about GSU's URM boost, though I wouldn't at all be surprised if you got in.


Yea, this is what I figured. Not many data points of URMs with my scores.

wlee1220
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:45 am

Re: CHANCE ME! I cry at nite thinkin bout my chances

Postby wlee1220 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:20 pm

From what I hear, GSU tends to weigh the LSAT slightly more heavily than the GPA. With the URM boost, I think you have a decent chance of getting in. However, I've heard weird stories about GSU.

jgloster
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:53 pm

Re: CHANCE ME! I cry at nite thinkin bout my chances

Postby jgloster » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:50 pm

wlee1220 wrote:From what I hear, GSU tends to weigh the LSAT slightly more heavily than the GPA. With the URM boost, I think you have a decent chance of getting in. However, I've heard weird stories about GSU.


Like what?

User avatar
MormonChristian
Posts: 214
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:33 pm

Re: CHANCE ME! I cry at nite thinkin bout my chances

Postby MormonChristian » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:21 pm

jgloster wrote:Chance me:

AA Male
160 LSAT
2.7 GPA

1 year of work experience

What are my chances for Georgia State? Law School Predictor says I have none.


75% with an addendum explaining your low GPA.

jgloster
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:53 pm

Re: CHANCE ME! I cry at nite thinkin bout my chances

Postby jgloster » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:19 pm

Wow, good point I'll think about an addendum.

jgloster
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:53 pm

Re: CHANCE ME! I cry at nite thinkin bout my chances

Postby jgloster » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:16 am

bump

jgloster
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:53 pm

Re: CHANCE ME! I cry at nite thinkin bout my chances

Postby jgloster » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:07 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:Fair enough. I really don't think there's enough data to make a valid prediction about GSU's URM boost, though I wouldn't at all be surprised if you got in.


Gee whiz, I really hope I get in

Fark-o-vision
Posts: 590
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:41 pm

Re: CHANCE ME! I cry at nite thinkin bout my chances

Postby Fark-o-vision » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:17 pm

I feel like everyone realized they were being trolled, got embarrassed, and left all at once. Because I enjoy a good trolling, and am not above performing one myself, I will attempt to revive the dead:

*ahem* Anything interesting in your background to write a personal statement about?

jgloster
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:53 pm

Re: CHANCE ME! I cry at nite thinkin bout my chances

Postby jgloster » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:22 pm

Fark-o-vision wrote:I feel like everyone realized they were being trolled, got embarrassed, and left all at once. Because I enjoy a good trolling, and am not above performing one myself, I will attempt to revive the dead:

*ahem* Anything interesting in your background to write a personal statement about?


Wut r u talking about?

My personal statement should be pretty good, I'll be in graduate school when I apply and I have a year of work experience. Nothing to spectacular in my life otherwise tho, is that bad?

Fark-o-vision
Posts: 590
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:41 pm

Re: CHANCE ME! I cry at nite thinkin bout my chances

Postby Fark-o-vision » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:24 pm

I was hoping you'd have something better than that to go with. Anyway, if its just going to be me in here, I'm out.

jgloster
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:53 pm

Re: CHANCE ME! I cry at nite thinkin bout my chances

Postby jgloster » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:04 am

Fark-o-vision wrote:I was hoping you'd have something better than that to go with. Anyway, if its just going to be me in here, I'm out.


What do you mean?

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: CHANCE ME! I cry at nite thinkin bout my chances

Postby Nova » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:28 am

jgloster wrote:
Fark-o-vision wrote:I was hoping you'd have something better than that to go with. Anyway, if its just going to be me in here, I'm out.


What do you mean?


I thought he was being a douche, until I skimmed your body of work.


jgloster wrote:
woodson21 wrote:
jgloster wrote:
3.00/170, AA male


i predict nowhere since you don't actually have a 170. at least according to your posts you just took the december lsat....


LOL DUmbass i havent taken the LSAT at all, ive just taken practice tests


jgloster wrote:Also: assuming 170 LSAT, 3.0 GPA where will I get money?Exclusively schools outside of top 5? Wassup


jgloster wrote:Yea, I can't say that I'll get a 170 for sure but I tend to PWN standardized tests (not to brag, but scored 2300 on SAT). I actually should get higher than 170. We'll see how it goes, I don't really wanna go to law school if I can't get into at least a top 5.
Last edited by Nova on Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jgloster
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:53 pm

Re: CHANCE ME! I cry at nite thinkin bout my chances

Postby jgloster » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:02 pm

O wow u got me, I was scoring 170 on practice tests and ended it only getting a 160, i beg for penance sir.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: CHANCE ME! I cry at nite thinkin bout my chances

Postby Nova » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:27 pm

If you really did score a 160 in Feb after consistently PTing @ ~170, you are seriously a dumb fuck if you dont retake in October. Even a few more points could easily result in tens of thousands of dollars in scholarships. Of course, you will probably get into Georgia State either way.

User avatar
Helicio
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: CHANCE ME! I cry at nite thinkin bout my chances

Postby Helicio » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:11 pm

Nova wrote:If you really did score a 160 in Feb after consistently PTing @ ~170, you are seriously a dumb fuck if you dont retake in October. Even a few more points could easily result in tens of thousands of dollars in scholarships. Of course, you will probably get into Georgia State either way.


+infinity




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest