Give it to me straight. Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
RichieTheKid

New

Give it to me straight.

Post by RichieTheKid » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:46 pm

I just need a few good opinions. I would use Law School Numbers but there are very few people with my info. I won't be applying until next year but I get sort of OCD about this stuff so I'm starting early.

-Engineering double major
-Black/Female
-Will have about a year and a half of IT experience when I apply
- 3.0 GPA but LSAC will be a little lower I'm sure
- 165 LSAT first shot with no prep (Yea I know but I had already paid for it and YOLO!) and retaking next summer so hopefully I can hit the 170s.
- A whole bunch of softs (3 presidencies, 4 vice presidencies plus some other offices, 3 big name engineering internships, etc ...)
- Hopefully I will have taken and passed the Patent Bar by the time I apply.

I'm hoping for Cornell - UT - Vandy. Opinions?

Helicio

Bronze

Re: Give it to me straight.

Post by Helicio » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:12 am

RichieTheKid wrote:I just need a few good opinions. I would use Law School Numbers but there are very few people with my info. I won't be applying until next year but I get sort of OCD about this stuff so I'm starting early.

-Black/Female
- 165 LSAT first shot with no prep (Yea I know but I had already paid for it and YOLO!) and retaking next summer so hopefully I can hit the 170s.
- A whole bunch of softs (3 presidencies, 4 vice presidencies plus some other offices, 3 big name engineering internships, etc ...)

Hit the 170s then ask. Hopefully your LSAC GPA will stay over 3.

You have a chance for money, etc. if you can hit 170. Powerscore Bibles FTW.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:27 am

Helicio wrote:
RichieTheKid wrote:I just need a few good opinions. I would use Law School Numbers but there are very few people with my info. I won't be applying until next year but I get sort of OCD about this stuff so I'm starting early.

-Black/Female

If you get a 170, you should be able to swing one, if not all, of the schools you mentioned. As a Black Female, especially if you hit 170, you're a very rare Gem that law schools from Cambridge to Palo Alto would love to have. The problem is that your GPA is low. URM splitters have VERY unpredictable cycles. If you had a 4.0 and a 165, you'd easily get a full ride to all of those schools, but the sub 3.0 GPA makes the prediction much more difficult. Obviously you're very smart, but now more than ever is the time for you to work your ass off, so that you can get deep into the 170's (180 even) because that is the only thing that you can control at this point.

Did you happen to go to a really prestigious undergrad notoriously known for grade deflation (think Princeton)?
Schools will be trying to find ways to give you a break since they're are so few AA females with that score. a 2.9 at Princeton will be forgiven much more readily than the same GPA at Random State U. The double engineering degree will help as well.

Edit: Not sure if they even have engineering at Princeton, but Cal-Tech maybe? Basically, the more prestigious the school the better.

Helicio

Bronze

Post by Helicio » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:36 am

yngblkgifted wrote:
Helicio wrote:

-Black/Female

If you get a 170, you should be able to swing one, if not all, of the schools you mentioned. As a Black Female, especially if you hit 170, you're a very rare Gem that law schools from Cambridge to Palo Alto would love to have. The problem is that your GPA is low. URM splitters have VERY unpredictable cycles. If you had a 4.0 and a 165, you'd easily get a full ride to all of those schools, but the sub 3.0 GPA makes the prediction much more difficult. Obviously you're very smart, but now more than ever is the time for you to work your ass off, so that you can get deep into the 170's (180 even) because that is the only thing that you can control at this point.

Did you happen to go to a really prestigious undergrad notoriously known for grade deflation (think Princeton)?
Schools will be trying to find ways to give you a break since they're are so few AA females with that score. a 2.9 at Princeton will be forgiven much more readily than the same GPA at Random State U. The double engineering degree will help as well.

Edit: Not sure if they even have engineering at Princeton, but Cal-Tech maybe? Basically, the more prestigious the school the better.
Or is there anyway you can take some easy community college credits? As long as your GPA is above 3 when you apply. I know it seems stupid but a 3 sounds and seems different from a 2.9.

LOLyer

Bronze

Post by LOLyer » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:04 pm

Under the circumstances, seems to me you could probably get into vandy if you applied right now. Retake for $$$.

Edit: Also, URMs need to take advantage of the URM boost while they can. USSC has accepted another affirmative action case. Don't remember when it will be decided, but I would plan to apply before it comes out in order to get the maximum advantage.

Alltheirsplendor

Bronze

Post by Alltheirsplendor » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:38 pm

LOLyer wrote:Under the circumstances, seems to me you could probably get into vandy if you applied right now. Retake for $$$.

Edit: Also, URMs need to take advantage of the URM boost while they can. USSC has accepted another affirmative action case. Don't remember when it will be decided, but I would plan to apply before it comes out in order to get the maximum advantage.
Eh... Not really that big of a deal. The decision would only affect public schools (note that the op is only interested in one). Private schools are unaffected.

RichieTheKid

New

Post by RichieTheKid » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:09 pm

Thanks for replying ya'll. I appreciate it.

yngblkgifted - No, no notoriously hard undergrad. Just a double major in Engineering. If that doesn't count for something then honestly they can kiss my ass.

Helicio - I already graduated so the community college courses would be pointless.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:31 pm

If you hit 170, you should be getting a T6 school. An AA male (which is a slightly higher boost than yours) got NYU with like a 166 and 3.2 or somthing

ahnhub

Silver

Post by ahnhub » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:37 pm

You don't necessarily need a 170 for a good shot at the schools you mentioned. A 168 would probably get you into one or two of them (but URM cycles are unpredictable, so there's more randomness involved than the average applicant--if you can get it, a 170--ish type score will work wonders for you). But a 165 with that low a GPA probably keeps you out of Cornell/UT for now.

wsx111

New

Post by wsx111 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:55 am

SPAM

RodionRaskolnikov

Bronze

Post by RodionRaskolnikov » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:59 pm

-Black/Female

I hear that they never average anymore so you're in a good position. Just study the LSAT like your life depended on it and take it again. If you managed 165 without study, you should be able to get into 172+ with study. So try your best and you should be able to get in I think.

But, the softs are a bit questionable. The internships are great! But, 3 presidencies and 4 Vp's? Were all those in different organizations? If so, the natural question that comes to mind and will come to mind of adcom ppl is, what did you do in all those organizations, as opposed to just getting the title with little to no work?

Good luck, though! You're a URM too so that will help.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:04 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:If you hit 170, you should be getting a T6 school. An AA male (which is a slightly higher boost than yours) got NYU with like a 166 and 3.2 or somthing
This. Especially as a female engineer; you will really represent a positive diverse experience.

seanpualion

New

Post by seanpualion » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:46 am

I have just joined and I hope I will learn a lot of new information here.
I admire the valuable information you offered in your article. Excellent submission very good post.Keep posting thumbs up.

I AM A SPAMMER; SPAM DELETED

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”