Shot @Vandy Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
SuperCool23

New

Shot @Vandy

Post by SuperCool23 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:51 pm

I am African American male, still in undergrad, I have a 3.4gpa. I've held positions within my fraternity and now current president for the upcoming school year, and I also have lots of other leadership experience ,along with community services hours. What LSAT score do I need to get into Vanderbilt? I am taking Oct. test

dowu

Platinum

Re: Shot @Vandy

Post by dowu » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:54 pm

:shock: :shock:
Last edited by dowu on Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

LSAT>LDAC

New

Post by LSAT>LDAC » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:03 pm

Well that depends greatly on what fraternity you're in.

Voco90

New

Post by Voco90 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:04 pm

With a 3.4 GPA, you should probably be shooting for the high 160s. A 170 would really enhance your chances, if that's attainable/realistic for you. A couple of other things to do: (1) visit/show strong interest, (2) consider taking a year off after college, (3) off of that point, you'll have more time to get your GPA up.

I'm sure others will have great advice to give, but hopefully that directly answers your question (and then some).

One last thing, play around with this: http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:05 pm

LSAT>LDAC wrote:Well that depends greatly on what fraternity you're in.
... and your LSAT score.-__-
The fraternity he was in is basically nothing compared to the URM factor.

Also, you should be shooting for the school's 75th percentile LSAT - that's a more precise and realistic goal.

LSAT>LDAC

New

Post by LSAT>LDAC » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:11 pm

</Action> <"SarcasmIndicatorCSS"=activate/>

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:15 pm

LSAT>LDAC wrote:</Action> <"SarcasmIndicatorCSS"=activate/>
:? :arrow: :mrgreen:

SuperCool23

New

Post by SuperCool23 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:36 pm

I was looking at Law School Numbers and a lot of people had scores in the high 150's. That was confusing ,I am guessing i need to score in the mid 160'2(meaning 165-66)

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:15 pm

To get in, probably 163 or so. To get lots and lots of money, probably 167+.

If you need motivation, figure this: Your rich uncle is going to pay you 150k to get a 168. (That's roughly debt + interest)

PMan99

Bronze

Post by PMan99 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:20 pm

Get 175+ and enjoy H

SuperCool23

New

Post by SuperCool23 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:24 pm

@22%more, thats a great way to put it. I will aim high and hope for the best

youngyodo

New

Post by youngyodo » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:08 pm

The law school admissions cycle has seen a reduction in applications and test takers, and applicants with lower numbers than in past cycles have gained admission into schools that traditionally have higher standards. Judging by some of the movements this year, this overall reduction has probably effected African American applicants (especially males) even more. I say this to say that with your GPA, you have an excellent opportunity to gain admission into several law shcools and get scholarship money.

Posters are correct in saying your goal for the LSAT should be to do as well as you can, prepare extensively and take it more than once. If you take the October test, you will NOT be disadvantaged if you apply after taking it in December again. Take this from experience. Every point is important, and for an African Male applicant even more so. If you want to know an exact number I know applicants this cycle with similar GPA's of 3.2- 3.5 and LSAT scores in the high 150's and low 160's who have gotten into Vanderbilt and other Top - 20 schools with money. The lower your GPA the more a higher LSAT helps, but its not an exact science.

The Law School admissions process is a numbers game, but its not totally a numbers game. I think this is even more true for diverse applicants. Strong Personal Statements, Resumes, Diversity Statements and Why This School essays can maker your application stand out. You have a story to tell, and it might be unique and different than many other applicants.

One piece of advice I will give for all minority applicants this cycle and in future cycles is to apply to a lot of schools! I can not stress this enough. LSAT school medians are just medians. They do not show students gaining admission in the lower 50 percentiles. Schools dip significantly below these medians for students whose applications stand out, and with strong softs and being a URM you are in a prime position to be one of those students admitted.

Long story short you're in good shape! Put the hard work you've put into your GPA into your LSAT prep, and do your best.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”