Can this help me? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
BallHog

New

Can this help me?

Post by BallHog » Thu May 31, 2012 5:03 am

I know I am not technically "URM," but my parents were born and raised in India. I was born and raised in England. I moved to the USA 7 years ago and am one year away from finishing my undergrad. I'm basically diversity in a nutshell. Can/will this help me?

BallHog

New

Re: Can this help me?

Post by BallHog » Thu May 31, 2012 5:49 am

also off topic, but my brother graduated from Duke a couple years ago (undergrad). Can this help me for law school?

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Thu May 31, 2012 6:31 am

1) It wont help you as in you wont get any sort of bump like URMs would. It could be a decent diversity topic but even a brilliant essay is still a small factor when weighed against lsat and gpa...and besides, just cause you are an Indian that has grown up in UK then USA is not a proper diversity topic if there is nothing else to back that up. Indeed, that actually really isnt that diverse considering the UK has historically been an immigrant state and Indian was its commonwealth, and the same deal with the US.

2) No. The only foreseeable way this could even remotely help you is if you end up really trying to get into Duke and so you write a Why Duke essay and you mention your brother. Only then could it possibly help you..and it will still only help you a little even then.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu May 31, 2012 1:20 pm

1. Not much, if at all. Although, you should still write about in a DS if you dont cover it extensively in your PS.

2. Absolutely not

BallHog

New

Post by BallHog » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:25 am

Thank you for the responses!

Another quick question: I will be entering Law school having JUST turned 21. I will be really young. Hurt/Help/Neither?

Thanks again!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:27 am

BallHog wrote:Thank you for the responses!

Another quick question: I will be entering Law school having JUST turned 21. I will be really young. Hurt/Help/Neither?

Thanks again!
Most people who go straight through school to law school are only like 22. You'll be a bit younger than the average (most schools average around 24-25), but I'd bet that's skewed by relatively few students quite a bit older than the majority.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:27 am

Won't help. Probably neither.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:31 am

Tom Joad wrote:Won't help. Probably neither.

BallHog

New

Post by BallHog » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:52 am

rinkrat19 wrote:

Thanks again!
Most people who go straight through school to law school are only like 22. You'll be a bit younger than the average (most schools average around 24-25), but I'd bet that's skewed by relatively few students quite a bit older than the majority.
I am almost two years younger than most people in my class at the moment, but I see what you are getting at. Thank you!

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:33 am

Thanks again!
As long as you are of drinking age, all is well

BallHog

New

Post by BallHog » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:09 pm

thederangedwang wrote:1) It wont help you as in you wont get any sort of bump like URMs would. It could be a decent diversity topic but even a brilliant essay is still a small factor when weighed against lsat and gpa...and besides, just cause you are an Indian that has grown up in UK then USA is not a proper diversity topic if there is nothing else to back that up. Indeed, that actually really isnt that diverse considering the UK has historically been an immigrant state and Indian was its commonwealth, and the same deal with the US.

2) No. The only foreseeable way this could even remotely help you is if you end up really trying to get into Duke and so you write a Why Duke essay and you mention your brother. Only then could it possibly help you..and it will still only help you a little even then.
Well I have a passport in all three countries. It's "rare" in the way that I have seen more African Americans and Hispanic Americans here then English Indian Americans. :D
Last edited by BallHog on Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:12 pm

thederangedwang wrote:

Thanks again!
To be clear though, you obviously do not have to be of the drinking age to attend

BallHog

New

Post by BallHog » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:12 pm

Br3v wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:

Thanks again!
To be clear though, you obviously do not have to be of the drinking age to attend
Right.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”