Diversity Statement

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Helicio

Diversity Statement

Postby Helicio » Sat May 19, 2012 10:20 pm

Hey guys,

Just a couple quick questions:

1.) Can you write a diversity statement even if you aren't URM (I am Lebanese)?

2.) Do applications explicitly ask for diversity statements? Do schools get angry if you write one in addition to a PS if they haven't asked for it?

3.) Should I write "diversity statement" at the top so they know where I am coming from for the essay?

4.) Do DS actually help? Can they hurt?

Sorry if this comes off as too to-the-point. I think I have an interesting perspective to write about, and hope to relate a lot of what I write to the Lebanese Civil War/being a Christian refugee from the Middle East.

Thanks,

Helicio

Nova

Re: Diversity Statement

Postby Nova » Sun May 20, 2012 1:51 am

Helicio & Nova wrote:

Yes, you can.

2.) Do applications explicitly ask for diversity statements? Do schools get angry if you write one in addition to a PS if they haven't asked for it?

Sometimes they do sometimes they dont. Everywhere I applied let me attach more documents if I wished. No, they wont get mad if you send it and they didnt ask.

3.) Should I write "diversity statement" at the top so they know where I am coming from for the essay?

No. Just like you shouldnt write "personal statement" at the top of your PS.

Yes, they help. They give the adcomm another opportunity to build a personal connection to your app. I suppose, in rare instances, they could hurt... if you were to write something too risky or off color.

Sorry if this comes off as too to-the-point. I think I have an interesting perspective to write about, and hope to relate a lot of what I write to the Lebanese Civil War/being a Christian refugee from the Middle East.

Sounds legit. I vote write about it.

Helicio

Re: Diversity Statement

Postby Helicio » Sun May 20, 2012 12:43 pm

Nova wrote:
Helicio & Nova wrote:

Yes, you can.

Sometimes they do sometimes they dont. Everywhere I applied let me attach more documents if I wished. No, they wont get mad if you send it and they didnt ask.

No. Just like you shouldnt write "personal statement" at the top of your PS.

Yes, they help. They give the adcomm another opportunity to build a personal connection to your app. I suppose, in rare instances, they could hurt... if you were to write something too risky or off color.

Sounds legit. I vote write about it.

Nice, thanks for the fast response Nova!

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”