URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
bizzybone1313
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby bizzybone1313 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:56 pm

As cheesy as this sounds, I want to visit all the schools and get a feel for them before I make a decision. I want to make sure I'm comfortable and feel at home wherever I go. At this point I'm considering all schools equally. Money will be a factor, but it won't be that important. I gave up going off to an Ivy for undergrad because of money, I won't let money limit me again.


+1

Visiting is definitely a good idea. A few years ago after undergrad, my school sponsored a trip to visit elite business and law schools. We visited Northwestern, Chicago, Columbia, NYU, Harvard and Penn. Based on this trip, I know I most likely won't attend Chicago or NYU. When I was at Chicago, something just didn't feel right intuitively and I have never cared for NYU very much.

User avatar
John_rizzy_rawls
Posts: 3477
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:11 pm

TatNurner wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
TatNurner wrote:Would it be a fair assessment to say we haven't seen many URMs above 170 this cycle (as compared to the usual)? I'm just trying to get a sense of how the changes we are seeing with the LSAT have played out amongst URMs.


13 170+ URMs, 21 168+ URMs on LSN - http://search.lawschoolnumbers.com/user ... Cycle=1213

A couple on this list aren't actual URM so they're not factored into the count.

Yep... definitely in low supply.


Thanks John Rizzy Rawls. I thoroughly enjoyed your book, Da Law of Peeps.


You mean Dat Theory of Juztice? Thanks, it's my magnum opus.

User avatar
bananapudding88
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:11 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby bananapudding88 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:03 pm

In at Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and my fiance (who is a non-URM) got the "Welcome to Duke" email too!!!! They knew we both applied so extremely pleased and excited they took us both!!! BEYOND PUMPED RIGHT NOW!!

User avatar
clouded.memory
Posts: 323
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:26 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby clouded.memory » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:49 pm

aiaea wrote:In at Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and my fiance (who is a non-URM) got the "Welcome to Duke" email too!!!! They knew we both applied so extremely pleased and excited they took us both!!! BEYOND PUMPED RIGHT NOW!!

Congratulations to both you and your fiance! What a blessing!

User avatar
bananapudding88
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:11 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby bananapudding88 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:17 pm

Thank you both!! So excited, and I hope everyone here has their dream cycle! Really happy with mine so far :)

User avatar
Dmini7
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby Dmini7 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:21 pm

aiaea wrote:Thank you both!! So excited, and I hope everyone here has their dream cycle! Really happy with mine so far :)


Just curious, is the 162 in your LSN your current LSAT or did you score a higher one?

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby PRgradBYU » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:06 am

aiaea wrote:Thank you both!! So excited, and I hope everyone here has their dream cycle! Really happy with mine so far :)


Man, your LSN profile is very inspiring. Congrats on the awesome cycle you've had so far!

User avatar
bananapudding88
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:11 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby bananapudding88 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:22 am

Dmini7 wrote:Just curious, is the 162 in your LSN your current LSAT or did you score a higher one?


Current! :D

PRgradBYU wrote:Man, your LSN profile is very inspiring. Congrats on the awesome cycle you've had so far!


Thank you!! :) Best of luck to you!

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby JXander » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:48 am

aiaea wrote:In at Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and my fiance (who is a non-URM) got the "Welcome to Duke" email too!!!! They knew we both applied so extremely pleased and excited they took us both!!! BEYOND PUMPED RIGHT NOW!!

Congratulations!!!

And your profile gives me hope!

User avatar
bizzybone1313
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby bizzybone1313 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:56 am

JXander wrote:
aiaea wrote:In at Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and my fiance (who is a non-URM) got the "Welcome to Duke" email too!!!! They knew we both applied so extremely pleased and excited they took us both!!! BEYOND PUMPED RIGHT NOW!!

Congratulations!!!

And your profile gives me hope!
Dmini7 wrote:
aiaea wrote:Thank you both!! So excited, and I hope everyone here has their dream cycle! Really happy with mine so far :)


Just curious, is the 162 in your LSN your current LSAT or did you score a higher one?


Her results thus far aren't terribly surprising. I have done a lot of research into URM cycles. The T-14 love URM's from super elite T-10 undergrads.

User avatar
bananapudding88
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:11 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby bananapudding88 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:39 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:Her results thus far aren't terribly surprising. I have done a lot of research into URM cycles. The T-14 love URM's from super elite T-10 undergrads.


I definitely think where I went to school played a major role in how my cycle has gone so far. Without giving too much away, I went to an UG that is often ranked as number 1 or 2 in the country. Furthermore, enough cannot be said about putting together a strong application. Knowing numbers would be a problem for me, months of effort were put into strengthening my personal and diversity statements (the law school adviser at my UG literally called my PS "word for word perfect"). I cultivated good relationships with my professors towards my last two years in UG so I also managed to get what I don't doubt are 3 glowing letters of recommendation, plus another that I'm certain says nothing but great things from one of my curent supervisors. My resume is compelling and I'm obviously trying hard to become someone of significance in my field of interest, so I'm hoping all this continues to come through to admissions committees.

tl;dr... It's definitely not only about the numbers. I think this applies to everyone, but especially to URMs.

User avatar
BlaqBella
Posts: 869
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:41 am

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby BlaqBella » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:54 am

Hey everyone, did you read yesterday's article in the NYTimes? It further contextualizes this and perhaps subsequent cycles ahead. Also makes you wonder how the legal market will fare as a LS graduate 2-3 years from now:


http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/31/educa ... l?hpw&_r=0

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby PRgradBYU » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:40 pm

aiaea wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:Her results thus far aren't terribly surprising. I have done a lot of research into URM cycles. The T-14 love URM's from super elite T-10 undergrads.


I definitely think where I went to school played a major role in how my cycle has gone so far. Without giving too much away, I went to an UG that is often ranked as number 1 or 2 in the country. Furthermore, enough cannot be said about putting together a strong application. Knowing numbers would be a problem for me, months of effort were put into strengthening my personal and diversity statements (the law school adviser at my UG literally called my PS "word for word perfect"). I cultivated good relationships with my professors towards my last two years in UG so I also managed to get what I don't doubt are 3 glowing letters of recommendation, plus another that I'm certain says nothing but great things from one of my curent supervisors. My resume is compelling and I'm obviously trying hard to become someone of significance in my field of interest, so I'm hoping all this continues to come through to admissions committees.

tl;dr... It's definitely not only about the numbers. I think this applies to everyone, but especially to URMs.


It goes without saying that you give hope to the rest of us, and your success this cycle is undoubtedly well deserved. I also put several months' preparation into my application, especially my PS (although admittedly less prep into my DS)... I'm hoping for the best, too.

User avatar
bosmer88
Posts: 417
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:07 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby bosmer88 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:24 pm

aiaea wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:Her results thus far aren't terribly surprising. I have done a lot of research into URM cycles. The T-14 love URM's from super elite T-10 undergrads.


I definitely think where I went to school played a major role in how my cycle has gone so far. Without giving too much away, I went to an UG that is often ranked as number 1 or 2 in the country. Furthermore, enough cannot be said about putting together a strong application. Knowing numbers would be a problem for me, months of effort were put into strengthening my personal and diversity statements (the law school adviser at my UG literally called my PS "word for word perfect"). I cultivated good relationships with my professors towards my last two years in UG so I also managed to get what I don't doubt are 3 glowing letters of recommendation, plus another that I'm certain says nothing but great things from one of my curent supervisors. My resume is compelling and I'm obviously trying hard to become someone of significance in my field of interest, so I'm hoping all this continues to come through to admissions committees.

tl;dr... It's definitely not only about the numbers. I think this applies to everyone, but especially to URMs.


You sound driven and focused. It seems those qualities definitely came across in your application! Congratulations on Duke!

User avatar
ck3
Posts: 133
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:48 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby ck3 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:26 am

In at Emory!! LSAT 169, GPA 3.3 to 3.6 range

dynamic28
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:41 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby dynamic28 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:47 am

155/3.4 (3.6 UG)

Most TLS advice was that I wouldn't have a chance in the top tier (in spite of what I felt were strong softs, PS, DS and LOR's) so I applied mostly to second tier and unranked schools - so far, I've got into every school ranked 50-100+ that I've heard back from, all with some sort of scholarship $5000 - full ride (New England Law, Hofstra, Northeastern, Loyola-Chicago, Chicago-Kent).

Did I sell myself short with T1 schools? I'm in at American, UIUC and Washington and Lee, rejected at Georgetown and GW and I'm still waiting to hear from my tops - UVA and Cornell.

Is it too late to apply to any more T14 or top schools? I'm specifically contemplating Penn, Duke, Notre Dame, Emory, BU or BC. It has been such a weird cycle, I have no clue what my chances are anywhere anymore...

User avatar
BlaqBella
Posts: 869
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:41 am

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby BlaqBella » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:56 am

dynamic28 wrote:155/3.4 (3.6 UG)

Most TLS advice was that I wouldn't have a chance in the top tier (in spite of what I felt were strong softs, PS, DS and LOR's) so I applied mostly to second tier and unranked schools - so far, I've got into every school ranked 50-100+ that I've heard back from, all with some sort of scholarship $5000 - full ride (New England Law, Hofstra, Northeastern, Loyola-Chicago, Chicago-Kent).

Did I sell myself short with T1 schools? I'm in at American, UIUC and Washington and Lee, rejected at Georgetown and GW and I'm still waiting to hear from my tops - UVA and Cornell.

Is it too late to apply to any more T14 or top schools? I'm specifically contemplating Penn, Duke, Notre Dame, Emory, BU or BC. It has been such a weird cycle, I have no clue what my chances are anywhere anymore...



Yes, you did sell yourself short, moreso if you're an AA applicants. An AA applicant scoring at or above 160 on the LSAT can and does mean more money and acceptance into a T14.

Yes, its too late to apply to any more T14s unless you score considerably well on the February LSAT. If you apply now you can expect to ride waitlists for several months ahead.

Is there any possibility you can delay attending law school and increase your LSAT score?

griffin.811
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:30 am

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby griffin.811 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:39 pm

Hypothetically where, if anywhere, in T14 would an AA male with 3.2 GPA (Finance) 165 LSAT have a good shot at getting in? Also, 2 yrs out of UG with relevant WE both years.

User avatar
BlaqBella
Posts: 869
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:41 am

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby BlaqBella » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:51 pm

griffin.811 wrote:Hypothetically where, if anywhere, in T14 would an AA male with 3.2 GPA (Finance) 165 LSAT have a good shot at getting in? Also, 2 yrs out of UG with relevant WE both years.


T4 down. Throw haily mary apps at Harvard and Stanford, too. Yale is near impossible to crack without a high GPA, even for AA males.

griffin.811
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:30 am

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby griffin.811 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:10 pm

Thats an eye opener...I thought it was 170+ or out. Still going to prep for the 170+ but that makes things so much easier.

User avatar
BlaqBella
Posts: 869
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:41 am

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby BlaqBella » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:14 pm

griffin.811 wrote:Thats an eye opener...I thought it was 170+ or out. Still going to prep for the 170+ but that makes things so much easier.


AA male apps are the most unpredictable. Anything at or above mid-160s + 3.0 keeps quite a few T10s in play.

Good to know you'll be taking the June 2013. Hope to see you for the review session tomorrow and thanks for the book recommendation! I'm heading to B&N after work to pick that or either Liar's Poker up. :mrgreen:

griffin.811
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:30 am

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby griffin.811 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:51 pm

Np, let me know what you think. Barring issues with tinychat, I'll be there!

User avatar
Psib337
Posts: 315
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:18 am

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby Psib337 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:49 pm

I had a good Friday. Woke up and got a call that I was in at Cardozo with a full ride, around lunchtime the mail came with a letter from Miami for a 30k/year scholarship (not too crazy about the stipulation of staying in the top third/3.2 GPA), and I had an interview with a Georgetown alum this afternoon that I think went pretty well, hopefully it was enough to get me in or on the wait list.

User avatar
2013hopeful:D
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:23 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby 2013hopeful:D » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:54 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
griffin.811 wrote:Thats an eye opener...I thought it was 170+ or out. Still going to prep for the 170+ but that makes things so much easier.


AA male apps are the most unpredictable. Anything at or above mid-160s + 3.0 keeps quite a few T10s in play.

Good to know you'll be taking the June 2013. Hope to see you for the review session tomorrow and thanks for the book recommendation! I'm heading to B&N after work to pick that or either Liar's Poker up. :mrgreen:


I am jumpin in here blind. But, what are these books... I am looking for something to read.

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby PRgradBYU » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:34 pm

ck3 wrote:In at Emory!! LSAT 169, GPA 3.3 to 3.6 range


Nice! You're going to get into much better schools than Emory with that LSAT score, though. Do you have an LSN profile?




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests