URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
bosmer88

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby bosmer88 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:07 pm

Congrats to housebro and etta!

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:57 pm

Wormfather wrote:Not gonna lie, I'm starting to get peeved by people who presumably use this place as a resource and then dont put their stats up or link to them in their profile. Then to make matters worse they come into this thread or one of the school waiting threads and say "Accepted" or "In". At that point its nothing but a one way celebratory masturbation. No paying it forward or anything just another way of saying "I'm great, I'm in, I'm so happy, now congratulate me".

And before I hear any anonymity complains, that's just another way of saying, hey you suckers put your numbers up, but I'm smarter than that, so I'll just exploit your sense of altruism or responsibility or whatever motivates the rest of us to put our numbers up.

If you use this place as resource help others by giving your stats, if you're to special to do that, dont add insult to injury by sharing your success. Go find another napkin.

+1, +1, +1, +1, +1, +1, +1, +1, +1, +1, +1 & +1. I think this even more so true for certain URM's. There is a lot less information out there for Latinos, Native Americans and other types of URM's than there is for blacks. Plus, any info that is out there is outdated because apps are so down. When I apply, I will post all my info.

lawprospie

Postby lawprospie » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:03 pm

Wormfather wrote:Not gonna lie, I'm starting to get peeved by people who presumably use this place as a resource and then dont put their stats up or link to them in their profile. Then to make matters worse they come into this thread or one of the school waiting threads and say "Accepted" or "In". At that point its nothing but a one way celebratory masturbation. No paying it forward or anything just another way of saying "I'm great, I'm in, I'm so happy, now congratulate me".

And before I hear any anonymity complains, that's just another way of saying, hey you suckers put your numbers up, but I'm smarter than that, so I'll just exploit your sense of altruism or responsibility or whatever motivates the rest of us to put our numbers up.

If you use this place as resource help others by giving your stats, if you're to special to do that, dont add insult to injury by sharing your success. Go find another napkin.

You're doing a lot. The most...dude. I disclosed my stats in previous post, but like others I haven't gone into too much detail. I, and I assume a lot others, will be more than glad to give an abundance of info when our cycle is over. I'm sure we will create a separate thread with just numbers and how the cycle played out in the end (this happened in past years). Also, I don't understand as to why you're specifically so upset?

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:11 pm

lawprospie wrote:

You're doing a lot. The most...dude. I disclosed my stats in previous post, but like others I haven't gone into too much detail. I, and I assume a lot others, will be more than glad to give an abundance of info when our cycle is over. I'm sure we will create a separate thread with just numbers and how the cycle played out in the end (this happened in past years). Also, I don't understand as to why you're specifically so upset?

I could be wrong, but I believe the comment was directed at housebroken who just said in at Harvard AA male k-JD and others who may not have disclosed in there posts. If you eventually disclosed I don't think it's much of an issue, just stating that you should give stats in the same post you say your accepted

Noluck123

Postby Noluck123 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:17 pm

Wormfather wrote:Just peeved. Also now that I'm JS2 (stats in profile) all I can really do is wait on Yale, soapbox, and withdraw my other applications to make room for another URM.

FTFY :)

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:30 pm

Worm is right for more than one reason. It helps expand TLS as a resource but beyond that, quite a few posters on here (myself included) have worked on or are beginning work on compiling data in the most efficient ways possible for MyLSN. URM data is lacking severely on there, especially in the higher number echelon.

So if you're a URM, please post numbers here and create an LSN profile if possible. Anonymity is a flame unless you have some reason for not wanting to be found out.
Last edited by John_rizzy_rawls on Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

read2465

Postby read2465 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:35 pm

Last edited by read2465 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:38 pm

read2465 wrote:I hear you on all that Worm--I think my stats are tucked away somewhere in my previous posts, but I'll certainly be more forthcoming once the cycle is over.

Related, but not. JS1 invite today. Honored and shocked--I opened the email fully expecting a rejection because I've heard nothing from anyone since my initial acceptance.

^

Congrats!
It was in your previous posts: 3.7-3.8/167.

JS1s today thus far:

3.6x/169 - bobloblaw
3.6x/168 - volp
3.7-3.8/167 - read
3.7/161 - bosmer
Last edited by John_rizzy_rawls on Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:51 pm

lawprospie wrote:I, and I assume a lot others, will be more than glad to give an abundance of info when our cycle is over. I'm sure we will create a separate thread with just numbers and how the cycle played out in the end (this happened in past years). Also, I don't understand as to why you're specifically so upset?

This. I would be more than happy to give a bit more detailed info on background and stats once the cycle is actually finished. Until then, I would personally rather not give out too much info at this point. I understand where Worm is coming from, but still wonder why he is "peeved". Putting your info on this thread is a nice thing to do, but depending on someone's comfort levels, I'd definitely understand if he/she decided not to. Great if you do it, but IMHO not expected.

Additionally, I got a JSI invite as well.
Last edited by bosmer88 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Psib337

Postby Psib337 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:54 pm

I have to agree, when I see people getting admitted or waitlisted and have nothing to go on I can't tell if their numbers are better, worse, or about the same as mine. I'm also a little annoyed with people on LSN who don't post their sent/complete/decision dates, I've been trying to use it to gauge when I might hear back and at what point I should assume I'm just waiting to hear bad news. My LSN profile looks cluttered and may have too much information on it (anyone who really tried hard enough could probably figure out exactly who I am) but anyone with similar numbers who applies around the same time I did in the next few years might be able to get some use from it. I was really worried about applying late, it'd be nice to have more than a handful of profiles to compare myself to.

twenty

Postby twenty » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:54 pm

Out of curiosity, are the URMs that have barely heard anything registered for Feb LSAT? I wonder if that's contributing to why the fudge we're getting radio silence everywhere.

read2465

Postby read2465 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:01 pm

Last edited by read2465 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EttaJ

Postby EttaJ » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:16 pm

lawprospie wrote:

I'll bite. I too have provided my numbers in the past, and there are many reasons why I don't regurgitate them at the drop of a hat. First, what you see as celebratory masturbation could very well be an attempt to avoid yield protection. In the post "Blacks and Law Schools: By the Numbers" we see that, for instance, in the 164 and up range there were approximately 90 AAs annually. Unfortunately we see in this instance that for URMs in a certain LSAT score range there are very few applicants with those numbers; add differing GPAs and identification by adcomms is an easier task. While some may say that yield protection, etc. is a flame, I have read adcomms peruse these boards and frankly I would rather not risk it by uploading my numbers with each post of acceptance, etc.. My personal attempt to thwart yield protection has very little to do with "I'm great, I'm in, I'm so happy, now congratulate me", and I assume that may be the case for others as well. People may suggest fudging the numbers, but many times fudging simply won't cut it when altered numbers can give an inaccurate depiction of what actually happened.

I have learned so much from this site, and like lawprospie I plan on divulging my exact numbers/results at the end of the cycle for future applicants as many have done before me. I also currently have a profile on LSN, as I am sure many here do. There are many ways to give back. Consipicuously, as you would seemingly have us all do, right through to private messages of support and advice. Whether one is passing on their knowledge of the application process to fellow/future applicants or giving one another a big "Congrats", being a "resource" doesn't have to come in the manner you require it.

twenty

Postby twenty » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:21 pm

read2465 wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:Out of curiosity, are the URMs that have barely heard anything registered for Feb LSAT? I wonder if that's contributing to why the fudge we're getting radio silence everywhere.

I am registered for it for scholarship purposes, but I emailed all the schools I applied to and asked them to admit/deny based on my current score.

Have they responded accordingly?

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:24 pm

Wormfather wrote:
bosmer88 wrote:
lawprospie wrote:I, and I assume a lot others, will be more than glad to give an abundance of info when our cycle is over. I'm sure we will create a separate thread with just numbers and how the cycle played out in the end (this happened in past years). Also, I don't understand as to why you're specifically so upset?

This. I would be more than happy to give a bit more detailed info on background and stats once the cycle is actually finished. Until then, I would personally rather not give out too much info at this point. I understand where Worm is coming from, but still wonder why he is "peeved". Putting your info on this thread is a nice thing to do, but depending on someone's comfort levels, I'd definitely understand if he/she decided not to. Great if you do it, but IMHO not expected.

Additionally, I got a JSI invite as well.

Congrats, and I understand where I'm coming from. But if logged on and said just said "JS2". You would want to know what my stats were in comparison to yours, my posting that info in July would mean nothing to you.

So once again, anonymity is just another way of saying, I"m using everyone else who posts ITT.

Thanks, but in all honesty, I wouldn't be wondering about your stats. I don't ask people about their stats. I don't care to. If they decide to give it, great. I realize that I am in no way entitled to know that info. It is totally up to that person whether they want to give it out or not.

Also, I only started looking at this forum after I submitted 98% of my apps. I only enlisted three people, who aren't on this forum, in looking over my apps, PS, DS. Technically, I gained nothing from this forum, but I choose to contribute to it.
Last edited by bosmer88 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Percival Jenkins

Postby Percival Jenkins » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:45 pm

Alright everyone. Its time to put an end to this. Both sides have an equally valid point. Not posting stats does absolutely nothing for those who are currently going through the cycle. Posting for the future is just as important as posting for people who are currently going through the cycle. If someone doesnt know your stats, its hard for them to determine whether the information is relevant to them. But its equally important that people have their privacy, as someone has stated it could affect their cycle. I think everyone should just find a way to balance both of those interests accordingly so that this forum can serve as a useful purpose for current and future applicants.

For those of you who are interesting in helping out future applicants, Im sure that a tread will surface like the one below as well. Just to keep that in mind.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=154356

We are URMs that are on the same team. So lets get back to the cycle and the keep the good news coming in.

clouded.memory

Postby clouded.memory » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:54 pm

read2465 wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:Out of curiosity, are the URMs that have barely heard anything registered for Feb LSAT? I wonder if that's contributing to why the fudge we're getting radio silence everywhere.

I am registered for it for scholarship purposes, but I emailed all the schools I applied to and asked them to admit/deny based on my current score.

But most schools don't accept the Feb LSAT, right? To answer the original question: I've heard from Chicago about an interview, and have been admitted to BU, since signing up, so I'm not sure that registration is the reason for the silence...

However, I'm curious about this, as well. I signed up for the Feb LSAT (also for scholarship purposes) and I'm scoring 6-7 points better than my original LSAT score. Hope that HYS will hold off on dings until the new score comes in!

read2465

Postby read2465 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:12 pm

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:12 pm

Wormfather wrote:Regarding the stats convo earlier:

The thing that sucks about the Internet is that IRL we could have all had this convo at a party and it would have been enjoyed by all. On the Internet it all comes across so harshly.

In other words. It's all good guys.

True, true.

If this were a party, I would be sharing all my info with a midori/sprite combo in hand!

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:16 pm

read2465 wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:
read2465 wrote:

Have they responded accordingly?

Most said that wouldn't be a problem to go ahead with the current score. I'm under review at a couple schools and they said that once the review began an impending LSAT would have no impact.

Now that the mood has lightened up I can provide my updates :). Within the past three days I have received acceptances from Pepperdine, UCI, and USD(35k/yr). Hoping to hear about money from UCI -and further research to try to see how their graduating class did in the job search-since that means I could commute from my house. Anyways, I was very excited about that acceptance, but I am still hopeful my low numbers(164/3.2) can snag a T14.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:18 pm

Wormfather wrote:Well put, still a bit of a flame, but well put none the less. Also, adcoms dont need to come browsing through the URM forum to realize that you've in all likelyhood been accepted to better schools. On my call with UVA, he straight up said, "I want to see if UVA is even in the running with the offers I'm sure your getting"

The game your playing is a bit like the prisoner's dilemma. If everyone just kept their numbers to themselves until the end of the cycle, no one here would have any clue where they stood and we'd all be worse off. But if everyone else shares and you dont, you win. Congrats.

Just to be clear, I'm not mad, but I just want to voice the fact that some of us recognize what's going on here.

That's the troof. If people aren't going to post their numbers after saying "In" or "In w/ scholly," at least have them in your profile. We're anonymous for a reason!

read2465

Postby read2465 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:26 pm

HankBashir

Postby HankBashir » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:28 pm

Just to update on my current status, I was accepted into Emory with 96k scholarship. I'm still waiting to hear back from a T14, and I'm really hoping to get a JS1 next week. I've seen people with similiar numbers to mine get a JS1 who went complete a week before I did, so I'm hoping for next week.

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:46 pm

EttaJ wrote:I have read adcomms peruse these boards and frankly I would rather not risk it by uploading my numbers with each post of acceptance, etc..

You really think ADCOMM has time to connect the dots on TLS? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can assure you most do not. They are too busy trying to get decisions out and get home in time to attend to families and other activities outside of their offices (Source: Johann/NW).

It goes without saying that if you're a URM with strong numbers ADCOMMs is quite aware that you have more than a few offers to consider from similar top schools. The attempts made by many to be anonymous is quite hilarious, actually, given that quite a few of you have already been revealed on the basis of information provided. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Enjoy the hide and seek, folks. :lol:

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:53 pm

If only you knew how it was done back in the day.

Friendships that last a lifetime were formed on the basis of an online forum amongst URM, specifically, black applicants. I'm talking about actual meetups being arranged and such. Even a wedding came out of the forum. It was so much fun. That was how LSD did it. This board is pale in comparison. Sure, some of us contribute and try to offer advice and support but its a different kettle of fish you're dealing with these days. Youngins are only seeking their best interest and bounce TLS once they got what they came for. Circle jerks are quite common and all I can do is laugh and keep it moving.

I hope TLS is no reflection of how URMs intend to act amongst each other in law school. Unfortunately the few that attempted to pay it forward on TLS are now gone (GAIA, for example). I totally miss her.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”