URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
irish1485
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:25 pm

Re: 2012 Cycle... let's go!

Postby irish1485 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:22 pm

..
Last edited by irish1485 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

masked kavana
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:24 pm

Re: 2012 Cycle... let's go!

Postby masked kavana » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:37 pm

irish1485 wrote:Looks like I'll also be reapplying in September, AA male


Irish, you were in the Cornell thread this year no?

I'm reapplying as well. What are you thinking about changing in your app for next year?

User avatar
irish1485
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:25 pm

Re: 2012 Cycle... let's go!

Postby irish1485 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:56 pm

masked kavana wrote:
irish1485 wrote:Looks like I'll also be reapplying in September, AA male


Irish, you were in the Cornell thread this year no?

I'm reapplying as well. What are you thinking about changing in your app for next year?


..
Last edited by irish1485 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

masked kavana
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:24 pm

Re: 2012 Cycle... let's go!

Postby masked kavana » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:42 am

irish1485 wrote:
masked kavana wrote:
irish1485 wrote:Looks like I'll also be reapplying in September, AA male


Irish, you were in the Cornell thread this year no?

I'm reapplying as well. What are you thinking about changing in your app for next year?


Yea I was Reserved then Summer WL at Cornell, I think applying late hurt me a lot..

I'm going to revise my PS a little and I'm writing a DS this year (Rushed so I didn't write one last cycle)... Hoping I can get in this year with an early app, what about you?


Cornell did the same to me this year :(

When did you apply?

I honestly don't know what I'm going to do differently . I think I might write a new PS and apply in September rather than November.

Good luck

User avatar
irish1485
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:25 pm

Re: 2012 Cycle... let's go!

Postby irish1485 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:59 am

masked kavana wrote:
irish1485 wrote:
masked kavana wrote:
irish1485 wrote:Looks like I'll also be reapplying in September, AA male


Irish, you were in the Cornell thread this year no?

I'm reapplying as well. What are you thinking about changing in your app for next year?


Yea I was Reserved then Summer WL at Cornell, I think applying late hurt me a lot..

I'm going to revise my PS a little and I'm writing a DS this year (Rushed so I didn't write one last cycle)... Hoping I can get in this year with an early app, what about you?


Cornell did the same to me this year :(

When did you apply?

I honestly don't know what I'm going to do differently . I think I might write a new PS and apply in September rather than November.

Good luck


..
Last edited by irish1485 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kcam1991
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:26 am

Re: 2012 Cycle... let's go!

Postby kcam1991 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:37 pm

June lsat Update

LSAT: 172
GPA: 3.86

Aiming for HYS, will apply to most of T14 and some local schools

User avatar
jw316
Posts: 521
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: 2012 Cycle... let's go!

Postby jw316 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:21 pm

kcam1991 wrote:June lsat Update

LSAT: 172
GPA: 3.86

Aiming for HYS, will apply to most of T14 and some local schools


PM'd you

MeSoLitigious
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 10:41 am

Re: 2012 Cycle... let's go!

Postby MeSoLitigious » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:14 am

Got my score :( and I'm shocked that I did so poorly. I got a 156, which is much lower than I anticipated. Since this score is only good enough to go to a raggedy law school and end up saddled with debt that cannot be discharged, with limited employment prospects after graduation, this ends my law school journey.

It's odd to see that I did so poorly on the LSAT, because I have always excelled at standardized tests. I mean, I hemmed up and pimpslapped the GRE- I got 99th percentile. I'm in an Ivy League masters program now, doing very well, and I'll apply for Ivy PhD programs as I had previously intended (I wanted to do JD/PhD).

I'm a bit sad that law isn't in my future, but such is life. At least I have other strengths to turn to- ones that won't saddle me with undischargeable debt.

My heartiest of congratulations to those of you who have done well! I hope you all get into the programs you want and enjoy long successful careers!

User avatar
Psib337
Posts: 315
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:18 am

Re: 2012 Cycle... let's go!

Postby Psib337 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:18 am

MeSoLitigious wrote:Got my score :( and I'm shocked that I did so poorly. I got a 156, which is much lower than I anticipated. Since this score is only good enough to go to a raggedy law school and end up saddled with debt that cannot be discharged, with limited employment prospects after graduation, this ends my law school journey.

It's odd to see that I did so poorly on the LSAT, because I have always excelled at standardized tests. I mean, I hemmed up and pimpslapped the GRE- I got 99th percentile. I'm in an Ivy League masters program now, doing very well, and I'll apply for Ivy PhD programs as I had previously intended (I wanted to do JD/PhD).

I'm a bit sad that law isn't in my future, but such is life. At least I have other strengths to turn to- ones that won't saddle me with undischargeable debt.

My heartiest of congratulations to those of you who have done well! I hope you all get into the programs you want and enjoy long successful careers!


Not sure what your plans are or how you feel about law vs. whatever your getting your masters in but 156 is no reason for this to be the end. I got a 154 yesterday, about 5 minutes after I got my score I had placed an order for more prep materials. If you take the October test you still have plenty of time to get your applications in and there's 3 months until the test, plenty of time to go over things again and look at what you got wrong. You're in an Ivy masters program, obviously you're not an idiot, give it another shot, worst case scenario you're short a few hundred dollars and wasted some time studying, best case scenario you do much better and get to go to a good school and get a scholarship.

User avatar
thatdude222
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:23 am

Re: 2012 Cycle... let's go!

Postby thatdude222 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:18 pm

Psib337 wrote:
MeSoLitigious wrote:Got my score :( and I'm shocked that I did so poorly. I got a 156, which is much lower than I anticipated. Since this score is only good enough to go to a raggedy law school and end up saddled with debt that cannot be discharged, with limited employment prospects after graduation, this ends my law school journey.

It's odd to see that I did so poorly on the LSAT, because I have always excelled at standardized tests. I mean, I hemmed up and pimpslapped the GRE- I got 99th percentile. I'm in an Ivy League masters program now, doing very well, and I'll apply for Ivy PhD programs as I had previously intended (I wanted to do JD/PhD).

I'm a bit sad that law isn't in my future, but such is life. At least I have other strengths to turn to- ones that won't saddle me with undischargeable debt.

My heartiest of congratulations to those of you who have done well! I hope you all get into the programs you want and enjoy long successful careers!


Not sure what your plans are or how you feel about law vs. whatever your getting your masters in but 156 is no reason for this to be the end. I got a 154 yesterday, about 5 minutes after I got my score I had placed an order for more prep materials. If you take the October test you still have plenty of time to get your applications in and there's 3 months until the test, plenty of time to go over things again and look at what you got wrong. You're in an Ivy masters program, obviously you're not an idiot, give it another shot, worst case scenario you're short a few hundred dollars and wasted some time studying, best case scenario you do much better and get to go to a good school and get a scholarship.



That's the attitude right there... Don't let that 156 hold you back. On my first take I actually scored a 150 (a combination of weak preparation and partially just having an off day that day). I too had always had a history of killin' it on standardized tests so I felt pretty defeated. I realized the LSAT really isn't just another standardized test either. I sat out last cycle, took the proper time to put in extra effort studying and hit 172. IT CAN BE DONE!!! I hope you try again for October! Best of luck!

User avatar
Rascalicious
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:47 pm

Re: 2012 Cycle... let's go!

Postby Rascalicious » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:26 pm

I feel pretty crappy too.
3.61, 158 PR male who consistently PTed in low-mid 160s and thought I had my best performance in June but I was sadly mistaken.

I'm feeling so defeated. At this point I'm just going to try hard in October, hopefully get low-mid 160 and get a great scholarship to a T30 and attend. Even if I sneak a T14 at sticker price after a solid retake, I have no confidence that I'll be able to outperform my peers in law school and pay off the debt with biglaw.

User avatar
Psib337
Posts: 315
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:18 am

Re: 2012 Cycle... let's go!

Postby Psib337 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:21 pm

Rascalicious wrote:I feel pretty crappy too.
3.61, 158 PR male who consistently PTed in low-mid 160s and thought I had my best performance in June but I was sadly mistaken.

I'm feeling so defeated. At this point I'm just going to try hard in October, hopefully get low-mid 160 and get a great scholarship to a T30 and attend. Even if I sneak a T14 at sticker price after a solid retake, I have no confidence that I'll be able to outperform my peers in law school and pay off the debt with biglaw.


I was freaking out before the test over things like this, it doesn't help and if anything it makes things worse. Worry about doing well on the test and focus on that, worry about your future grades and paying back your loans later. I know it's hard with a "don't go to law school" article coming out every week but thinking about all that while studying for the LSAT is just counterproductive and you'll have plenty of time to worry about all that a year from now. With a 158 you're only like 5 questions away from the low 160s now, by October you can push that by the mid to high 160s and maybe even the 170s but you'll only make it harder on yourself by worrying about the grades for the classes you're not taking yet, at the school you don't go to yet, that you're paying for with loans you haven't taken out yet.

MeSoLitigious
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 10:41 am

Re: 2012 Cycle... let's go!

Postby MeSoLitigious » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:16 pm

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I think part of the reason that I did so badly is not because I'm an idiot :lol: but because I have been dealing with some serious stress and very severe health problems. I am running to doctors appointments twice a week, signed up to see a bigwig specialist and all that. So my heart was not in the LSAT studying to say the least. If I really focused on the games, I could get a good score I think. I do well on the reading comp and the arguments, but the :evil: games.... they are just so hard for me. I got burned out on studying, I had all of the stress and illness...and I bombed the exam. :oops:

Even if I retook it, schools would see both scores :( and I don't have time to prep, get medical treatment, and take two summer classes!

kcam1991
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:26 am

Re: 2012 Cycle... let's go!

Postby kcam1991 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:34 pm

MeSoLitigious wrote:Thanks for the encouragement guys. I think part of the reason that I did so badly is not because I'm an idiot :lol: but because I have been dealing with some serious stress and very severe health problems. I am running to doctors appointments twice a week, signed up to see a bigwig specialist and all that. So my heart was not in the LSAT studying to say the least. If I really focused on the games, I could get a good score I think. I do well on the reading comp and the arguments, but the :evil: games.... they are just so hard for me. I got burned out on studying, I had all of the stress and illness...and I bombed the exam. :oops:

Even if I retook it, schools would see both scores :( and I don't have time to prep, get medical treatment, and take two summer classes!


Schools don't really care too much about multiple scores. A high score would virtually erase that first score

User avatar
rhcp47
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:55 pm

Re: 2012 Cycle... let's go!

Postby rhcp47 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:16 pm

kcam1991 wrote:
MeSoLitigious wrote:Thanks for the encouragement guys. I think part of the reason that I did so badly is not because I'm an idiot :lol: but because I have been dealing with some serious stress and very severe health problems. I am running to doctors appointments twice a week, signed up to see a bigwig specialist and all that. So my heart was not in the LSAT studying to say the least. If I really focused on the games, I could get a good score I think. I do well on the reading comp and the arguments, but the :evil: games.... they are just so hard for me. I got burned out on studying, I had all of the stress and illness...and I bombed the exam. :oops:

Even if I retook it, schools would see both scores :( and I don't have time to prep, get medical treatment, and take two summer classes!


Schools don't really care too much about multiple scores. A high score would virtually erase that first score



Seriously, this is what addendums are for. I took the 2010 Oct test and got a 158, studied and retook the following October and got a 169. If you haven't already, take a look at the LSAT prep threads on here. If law school is what you really want, you'll find a lot of advice and support on here :)

MeSoLitigious
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 10:41 am

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby MeSoLitigious » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:16 pm

I had not even considered an addendum, but that is a great point. "A couple weeks before the exam, I was told I may or may not have a disease that would cripple and kill me. The stress, symptoms, constant medical tests etc prohibited me from studying to the best of my abilities. That is why I bombed the test the first time." If I were an adcomm, I think I would give some consideration to a verifiable statement to that effect.

Really, I actually wish I had changed my test date to October instead of testing under such ludicrous conditions in June. Of course I could not perform to the best of my ability.

I haven't fully decided to retest, at the very least I need to attend to my health and keep my grades up in grad school. But thanks to you guys' support I have not completely ruled it out, either. Thanks (((TLS URMS))) you guys are fully awesome!

kcam1991
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:26 am

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby kcam1991 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:24 pm

MeSoLitigious wrote:I had not even considered an addendum, but that is a great point. "A couple weeks before the exam, I was told I may or may not have a disease that would cripple and kill me. The stress, symptoms, constant medical tests etc prohibited me from studying to the best of my abilities. That is why I bombed the test the first time." If I were an adcomm, I think I would give some consideration to a verifiable statement to that effect.

Really, I actually wish I had changed my test date to October instead of testing under such ludicrous conditions in June. Of course I could not perform to the best of my ability.

I haven't fully decided to retest, at the very least I need to attend to my health and keep my grades up in grad school. But thanks to you guys' support I have not completely ruled it out, either. Thanks (((TLS URMS))) you guys are fully awesome!


No prob. I wish you best of luck and health.

User avatar
kapachino
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby kapachino » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:42 am

Good luck, everyone! I have no idea if I'm applying this cycle or not. I'm leaning towards not, but I am taking the October test. If I like my score, then who knows?

mommalee
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:05 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby mommalee » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:13 pm

Just joined and testing in October. AA Female, non-traditional (graduate 5 years ago). Planning to apply this year if I score well.

b33eazy
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby b33eazy » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:08 am

Checking in.. AA male taking October.. I have a 3.64 and will be shooting for the stars..

Opalbee
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:30 am

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby Opalbee » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:09 am

Taking the October LSAT and applying from overseas, this should be fun 8)

User avatar
GirlStop
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:49 am

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby GirlStop » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:58 pm

Good luck with studying everyone! I think I'm done with the LSAT. I retook and I'm okay with my score.

MeSo, I'm totally rooting for you! Please keep us updated.

BarNoneProject
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:27 am

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby BarNoneProject » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:17 pm

Hello All,

I am a current law student and founding member of an organization called The Bar None Project. The program provides LSAT prep, application counseling, and mentoring to URM's in the DC Metro area. It is a free program sponsored by an LSAT prep course and law firms in the area. There will be a course from August-September for the October test. Please PM for more details.

I strongly encourage anyone in the area to apply. Spread the word.

Best of luck!

Oscar85
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:53 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby Oscar85 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:45 pm

Could someone please explain the TLS jargon to me when it comes to URM? For example, I saw somebody mention that they were hoping to be a June/October splitter. That you'll take both the June and October test? Also, how do URM cycles differ from regular cycles? I vaguely recall someone mentioning URM, which gave me the idea that they were different cycles. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby twenty » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:36 pm

1) A splitter is someone who has a low GPA, and a really high LSAT. (i.e, 3.2/174)
2) They don't, really. URMs get a boost, so to speak, but it's measurable. It's not one of those things where URMs are on a different track, and once a school has 20 URMs for the class, it's all over. (Well, actually, it is kind of like that... but don't think of it that way.)




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: chandhi, Pomegranate27 and 3 guests