URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
efresh88
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:19 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby efresh88 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:27 am

2013hopeful:D wrote:
mommalee wrote:
2013hopeful:D wrote:
2012applicant2013 wrote:JS1 today!!!!! I thought I was hallucinating

Applied 11/15
Complete 11/28


Congrats!!! When did you schedule yours?


Congrats to you both!


Thank you! FYI I submitted the same day as efresquez88 who was admitted about 2 days ago and interview was about 2 weeks ago. So, no one count yourself out just yet. It is still early!


Agreed! Congrats and good luck to the new JS1s!! PM me if you have any questions about the interview :)

blueruditio
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:53 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby blueruditio » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:30 am

applied to these schools and was very shocked to get the IN at vandy with my low GPA. Did I miss any other schools around there that you all would recommend? Most of these were fee waivers, so I have a few extra $$ budgeted for late apps. I'm not geographically bound, just want to get the best deal!

blackandstrong
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:10 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby blackandstrong » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:34 am

blueruditio wrote:applied to these schools and was very shocked to get the IN at vandy with my low GPA. Did I miss any other schools around there that you all would recommend? Most of these were fee waivers, so I have a few extra $$ budgeted for late apps. I'm not geographically bound, just want to get the best deal!


I think you'll have a good cycle. Vandy will not be the best school you get into.

User avatar
wbrother
Posts: 499
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:02 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby wbrother » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:39 am

danitt wrote:
Wormfather wrote:3.92/162 (may go up when dec scores are released).

Blanketed the T14 but I'm starting to get nervous, havnt heard anything...I dont have much money, but should I start borrow a couple of hundred and start spraying 15-25?

Worm lemme tell you something. I'm a reverse splitter and I let TLS convince me that I wouldn't have a chance at the T-14. I applied anyway for shits and giggles but ED'd to GWU because I hoped to maybe by some miracle get into a T-20 school. Now I'm in at UVA with money and really annoyed with myself for EDing to GWU. I said that to say this, your numbers are way higher than mine and if I can get in, surely you've got more than a shot.


:(

User avatar
wbrother
Posts: 499
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:02 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby wbrother » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:41 am

Danitt, can you withdraw?!

blueruditio
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:53 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby blueruditio » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:47 am

blackandstrong wrote:
blueruditio wrote:applied to these schools and was very shocked to get the IN at vandy with my low GPA. Did I miss any other schools around there that you all would recommend? Most of these were fee waivers, so I have a few extra $$ budgeted for late apps. I'm not geographically bound, just want to get the best deal!


I think you'll have a good cycle. Vandy will not be the best school you get into.


I hope you're right!

Watching this forum really shows how great the URMs at T20s will be in the Class of 2016. You all are awesome.

User avatar
danitt
Posts: 1984
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby danitt » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:52 am

wbrother wrote:Danitt, can you withdraw?!

From ED? I don't think so. I'll definitely look into it though but I don't think that that's a possibility.

User avatar
2013hopeful:D
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:23 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby 2013hopeful:D » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:53 am

blueruditio wrote:applied to these schools and was very shocked to get the IN at vandy with my low GPA. Did I miss any other schools around there that you all would recommend? Most of these were fee waivers, so I have a few extra $$ budgeted for late apps. I'm not geographically bound, just want to get the best deal!


If you have extra $$, why not try HYS?

blueruditio
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:53 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby blueruditio » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:01 am

2013hopeful:D wrote:
blueruditio wrote:applied to these schools and was very shocked to get the IN at vandy with my low GPA. Did I miss any other schools around there that you all would recommend? Most of these were fee waivers, so I have a few extra $$ budgeted for late apps. I'm not geographically bound, just want to get the best deal!


If you have extra $$, why not try HYS?


I thought they had GPA floors, even for URM? I guess a hail mary might be worth it, if it's not too late in the cycle.

User avatar
orbbs
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:44 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby orbbs » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:19 am

danitt wrote:
wbrother wrote:Danitt, can you withdraw?!

From ED? I don't think so. I'll definitely look into it though but I don't think that that's a possibility.


You should still be able to withdraw your app as long as they haven't given you a decision yet. Just e-mail them with your LSAC number saying something came up and you need to withdraw your application. This means you won't get GW RD either, but if you'd prefer the UVA with money that probably doesn't matter.

User avatar
efresh88
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:19 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby efresh88 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:30 am

Wormfather wrote:
orbbs wrote:
danitt wrote:
wbrother wrote:Danitt, can you withdraw?!

From ED? I don't think so. I'll definitely look into it though but I don't think that that's a possibility.


You should still be able to withdraw your app as long as they haven't given you a decision yet. Just e-mail them with your LSAC number saying something came up and you need to withdraw your application. This means you won't get GW RD either, but if you'd prefer the UVA with money that probably doesn't matter.


I've asked around and this seems to be the credited response.


+1

User avatar
danitt
Posts: 1984
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby danitt » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:33 am

Wormfather wrote:
orbbs wrote:
danitt wrote:
wbrother wrote:Danitt, can you withdraw?!

From ED? I don't think so. I'll definitely look into it though but I don't think that that's a possibility.


You should still be able to withdraw your app as long as they haven't given you a decision yet. Just e-mail them with your LSAC number saying something came up and you need to withdraw your application. This means you won't get GW RD either, but if you'd prefer the UVA with money that probably doesn't matter.


I've asked around and this seems to be the credited response.

I'll have to discuss it with my co-signer (international applicant) and see if he's on board (another big reason why GWU looked like a fine plan. When it's someone else's finances at risk I get cautious.)

User avatar
orbbs
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:44 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby orbbs » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:41 am

danitt wrote:I'll have to discuss it with my co-signer (international applicant) and see if he's on board (another big reason why GWU looked like a fine plan. When it's someone else's finances at risk I get cautious.)


Haha yeah, I get that. I've gotten a few T-14's too already (though no money from any yet, like you) and I'm waiting out the BU ED. Partially because Boston in attractive due to SO considerations, and partially because as attractive as T-14's are, free law school is also very attractive...

jsjd1989
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:16 am

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby jsjd1989 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:52 pm

Deferred at NYU (was ED) :( . Maybe this is a blessing in disguise as now I can choose? Anyone know anyone who was accepted from a school that deferred them?

User avatar
Hjones33
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:07 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby Hjones33 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:03 pm

Wormfather wrote:
orbbs wrote:
danitt wrote:
wbrother wrote:Danitt, can you withdraw?!

From ED? I don't think so. I'll definitely look into it though but I don't think that that's a possibility.


You should still be able to withdraw your app as long as they haven't given you a decision yet. Just e-mail them with your LSAC number saying something came up and you need to withdraw your application. This means you won't get GW RD either, but if you'd prefer the UVA with money that probably doesn't matter.


I've asked around and this seems to be the credited response.


It is a full ride though if accepted ED to GWU, just in case people didn't know that. I don't see that being worse than an acceptance at a lower t-14.

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby twenty » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:58 pm

It's tough because as an international applicant, he'll have to get loans at a substantially higher interest rate. The 60k from UVA is nice, but he'll still graduate with probably about 175k of debt... at 6.9% interest minimum.

I can't see anyone being sorry with a free/close to it law degree from GWU. The flipside to this is that GWU does place a lot of grads in government spots, and if danitt isn't a US citizen, that might make things more difficult.

I dunno. I'd stay the course. You might not even get it anyway.

User avatar
1212
Posts: 208
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 2:23 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby 1212 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:41 pm

Hey guys, I just thought I would come out of TLS hiding to remind everyone to apply to SEO and feel free to PM me if you have any questions about SLS!

Good luck to all!

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/121212

User avatar
danitt
Posts: 1984
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby danitt » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:54 pm

1212 wrote:Hey guys, I just thought I would come out of TLS hiding to remind everyone to apply to SEO and feel free to PM me if you have any questions about SLS!

Good luck to all!

Do you apply for SEO before you enter as a 1L or while you're in your first year?

User avatar
1212
Posts: 208
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 2:23 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby 1212 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:10 pm

danitt wrote:
1212 wrote:Hey guys, I just thought I would come out of TLS hiding to remind everyone to apply to SEO and feel free to PM me if you have any questions about SLS!

Good luck to all!

Do you apply for SEO before you enter as a 1L or while you're in your first year?


Before you enter your first year. It is a BigLaw internship for the summer before 1L. You are integrated into the firm's summer associate class and you get exposure to the big firm environment, a sample of the work assignments,as well as a two week law school crash course. And it's paid!

http://www.seo-usa.org/career/index.php ... Itemid=651

talesofyore
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:21 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby talesofyore » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:15 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:So fellow URM's, have you had a lot of haters trying to discourage you from going to law school? I have had so many. I could tell stories for days. I am sure a lot of you have had people trying to encourage you to enroll at the local TTTT law school.



Hahaha, people actually get REALLY upset when I politely say no, I will not be applying to the local TTTT. A few of them offered to talk to a few of their friends to get me in ( :shock: ). I declined their offers. This particular school is at the bottom of fourth tier rankings btw.

User avatar
danitt
Posts: 1984
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby danitt » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:17 pm

1212 wrote:
danitt wrote:
1212 wrote:Hey guys, I just thought I would come out of TLS hiding to remind everyone to apply to SEO and feel free to PM me if you have any questions about SLS!

Good luck to all!

Do you apply for SEO before you enter as a 1L or while you're in your first year?


Before you enter your first year. It is a BigLaw internship for the summer before 1L. You are integrated into the firm's summer associate class and you get exposure to the big firm environment, a sample of the work assignments,as well as a two week law school crash course. And it's paid!

http://www.seo-usa.org/career/index.php ... Itemid=651

Dammit! I have a grown up job until the end of July next year. Bummer.

User avatar
bizzybone1313
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby bizzybone1313 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:36 pm

talesofyore wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:So fellow URM's, have you had a lot of haters trying to discourage you from going to law school? I have had so many. I could tell stories for days. I am sure a lot of you have had people trying to encourage you to enroll at the local TTTT law school.



Hahaha, people actually get REALLY upset when I politely say no, I will not be applying to the local TTTT. A few of them offered to talk to a few of their friends to get me in ( :shock: ). I declined their offers. This particular school is at the bottom of fourth tier rankings btw.


When I was quitting my consulting job, I had two attorneys (one with Emory and the other UT law degrees both of which had Ivy undergrads) asking me if I was going to the local TTTT. When a person gets hired on at this company, everyone gets a copy of that person's resume. So they saw my high GPA with the Magna Cum Laude line on my resume and thought to themselves: Hmm, this guy has a decent chance at some of the most elite law schools in this country. Let's see if we can try to convince him that the local TTTT will provide outstanding career opportunities. And you know what pisses me off the most, the only reason they did that to you and me is because our skin is a little darker. I almost lost my composure and threw a tantrum, but I simply replied I do not like the city I am in so I am going to have to go elsewhere for my education. It is exactly this type of racist garbage that I am attending law school for, so I can be a role model to our communities.

"Two years after the Senate race, despite lingering reservations, she helped her husband define his reasons for running for president. On an autumn day in 2006, the Obamas sat in the Chicago office of the consultant David Axelrod, surrounded by advisers, weighing whether Barack should move forward.

'What do you think you could accomplish that other candidates couldn’t?' Michelle asked, according to Axelrod. The question hung in the air. Clearly, an Obama agenda would not look very different from that of Hillary Clinton or John Edwards.

'When I take that oath of office, there will be kids all over this country who don’t really think that all paths are open to them, who will believe they can be anything they want to be,' Barack replied. 'And I think the world will look at America a little differently."--President Obama, The Obamas' Marriage- New York Times, October 26, 2009

Do big things guys with your elite law degrees. Do big things.

talesofyore
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:21 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby talesofyore » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:51 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
talesofyore wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:So fellow URM's, have you had a lot of haters trying to discourage you from going to law school? I have had so many. I could tell stories for days. I am sure a lot of you have had people trying to encourage you to enroll at the local TTTT law school.



Hahaha, people actually get REALLY upset when I politely say no, I will not be applying to the local TTTT. A few of them offered to talk to a few of their friends to get me in ( :shock: ). I declined their offers. This particular school is at the bottom of fourth tier rankings btw.


When I was quitting my consulting job, I had two attorneys (one with Emory and the other UT law degrees both of which had Ivy undergrads) asking me if I was going to the local TTTT. When a person gets hired on at this company, everyone gets a copy of that person's resume. So they saw my high GPA with the Magna Cum Laude line on my resume and thought to themselves: Hmm, this guy has a decent chance at some of the most elite law schools in this country. Let's see if we can try to convince him that the local TTTT will provide outstanding career opportunities. And you know what pisses me off the most, the only reason they did that to you and me is because our skin is a little darker. I almost lost my composure and threw a tantrum, but I simply replied I do not like the city I am in so I am going to have to go elsewhere for my education. It is exactly this type of racist garbage that I am attending law school for, so I can be a role model to our communities.

"Two years after the Senate race, despite lingering reservations, she helped her husband define his reasons for running for president. On an autumn day in 2006, the Obamas sat in the Chicago office of the consultant David Axelrod, surrounded by advisers, weighing whether Barack should move forward.

'What do you think you could accomplish that other candidates couldn’t?' Michelle asked, according to Axelrod. The question hung in the air. Clearly, an Obama agenda would not look very different from that of Hillary Clinton or John Edwards.

'When I take that oath of office, there will be kids all over this country who don’t really think that all paths are open to them, who will believe they can be anything they want to be,' Barack replied. 'And I think the world will look at America a little differently."--President Obama, The Obamas' Marriage- New York Times, October 26, 2009

Do big things guys with your elite law degrees. Do big things.


WOW, it was the exact same thing with me. They all tried to tell me, that "oh, all that matters is that you have JD. It doesn't matter where you go to school; it's what you make of it afterwards." And I gave them the same excuse you used: I do not like this town, or even this state, and so I must leave (while flipping out in my head too).

I told one of them about an acceptance to T30 and a scholarship and he talked about how it's only because I'm a minority that it happened like that (peppering his statement with compliments, about how I'm awesome and will do well, etc, etc). He even went through the trouble of inputting my numbers (which I'd stupidly mentioned) into http://www.hourumd.com/ to back up his argument.

blueruditio
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:53 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby blueruditio » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:16 pm

For schools that have a separate application for full scholarships, would you use the same recommenders from your application or find a new one? I submitted four applications for every school that would allow four: two professors from my graduate program, one supervisor from my undergraduate, and my current supervisor. I think I'm running out of people to ask! Help?

M458
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby M458 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:37 pm

Hey guys, similar issue as danitt and hoping you guys can offer some advice. I'm also an International Student but Mexican, so I guess I do count as a URM (I did grow up here and went to undergrad here, just not a citizen or permanent resident)?

For very similar reasons (not eligible for federal loans), I applied to NU Early Decision. I currently live in Chicago and was happy with that decision, hoping I'd get in and get the $50k/year scholarship. My numbers are 3.9x and 169 LSAT w/ 2 years work experience--probably not enough to get admitted through Early Decision and for the scholarship without getting some sort of URM boost.

Well, I retook the LSAT in December and feel really good about it (I think I'll get at least a 172--my PT average on the last 5 tests was almost a 175 and I got a 177 on the final PT I took) and I've already been admitted to Duke and feel good about my cycle so far. Yesterday I got a JS1 from Harvard and got SUPER excited. I haven't done the interview yet, but Harvard would be amazing, as I would be eligible for loans there. I also feel like a degree from Harvard would help me get a work visa after I graduate more than NU might.

Would you guys stick it out with the NU Early Decision or would you email them tomorrow morning and ask them to switch my app over to RD? I know it's risky to switch it to RD since I haven't even had the interview with Harvard, but I feel like I could end up having that lingering doubt in the back of my mind...on the other hand, who knows if I'll even get the ED acceptance.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: latif and 3 guests