URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
BlaqBella

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby BlaqBella » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:55 pm

TrialLawyer16 wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:What if you're a URM with a GPA that is just at the GPA floor for HYS and a median - above median LSAT score?

Speaking of GPA floors, I believe Yale doesn't go lower than 3.5, but what of Harvard and Stanford for URMs? Is it a 3.2? The responses are so varied. It doesn't help that I have seen exceptions to the "rule"...whatever that is.

That's the epitome of a crapshoot (a.k.a. trying your luck and seeing what happens for my gambling disinclined friends).

No one knows what the floors at Y and S are. But from the stats Yale put out about their 2011 entering class (Class of 2014), I believe the lowest GPA Y accepted was a 3.61. Not sure about S, but I'd think anything under a 3.4 is going to be incredibly hard to pull off. H is the most splitter friendly of the three, simply because their class size is 3 times that of Y and S. Y and S can afford to be pickier. No one can ever tell you the actual hard floor of these schools, but it is known that there are a few 3.2/low-17X AA males walking around at H. 3.2 is the lowest I've heard of GPA-wise at any of the three and they're all at H.

Yeah, it might be a crapshoot but I'll take my chances for Stanford, lol. It's all a gamble, ain't it? High risk but higher rewards. ;)

FYI, I've seen a 3.1/170 admitted to Stanford...AA male URM.

xjustyoursmile

Postby xjustyoursmile » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:00 pm

Chilean-American checking in. I've been lurking TLS forever, but now I'm too anxious about the Oct results that I feel like I need to start posting.

Good luck you guys!

TrialLawyer16

Postby TrialLawyer16 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:18 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
TrialLawyer16 wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:What if you're a URM with a GPA that is just at the GPA floor for HYS and a median - above median LSAT score?

Speaking of GPA floors, I believe Yale doesn't go lower than 3.5, but what of Harvard and Stanford for URMs? Is it a 3.2? The responses are so varied. It doesn't help that I have seen exceptions to the "rule"...whatever that is.

That's the epitome of a crapshoot (a.k.a. trying your luck and seeing what happens for my gambling disinclined friends).

No one knows what the floors at Y and S are. But from the stats Yale put out about their 2011 entering class (Class of 2014), I believe the lowest GPA Y accepted was a 3.61. Not sure about S, but I'd think anything under a 3.4 is going to be incredibly hard to pull off. H is the most splitter friendly of the three, simply because their class size is 3 times that of Y and S. Y and S can afford to be pickier. No one can ever tell you the actual hard floor of these schools, but it is known that there are a few 3.2/low-17X AA males walking around at H. 3.2 is the lowest I've heard of GPA-wise at any of the three and they're all at H.

Yeah, it might be a crapshoot but I'll take my chances for Stanford, lol. It's all a gamble, ain't it? High risk but higher rewards. ;)

FYI, I've seen a 3.1/170 admitted to Stanford...AA male URM.

That's awesome, he must have been ecstatic. The AA male boost is definitely the biggest so they're almost never out of the game if they have a 170+.

Yeah, there's no reason not to apply. I'm casting a wide net myself and will probably send an app to S as well. Best of luck to you!

URMLAW

Postby URMLAW » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:17 am

Do URM typically receive acceptances later in the cycle than the rest? I would believe schools would wait until they got an idea of the less predictable URM pool before they make any decisions......

EttaJ

Postby EttaJ » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:31 am

URMLAW wrote:Do URM typically receive acceptances later in the cycle than the rest? I would believe schools would wait until they got an idea of the less predictable URM pool before they make any decisions......

Yes and no; it completely depends on the school. Some URMs have heard from schools already. However I'm sure there are schools (Harvard comes to mind) that unless you have URM auto-admit numbers, then yes you will be waiting for awhile.

jrsbaseball5

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:27 am

EttaJ wrote:
URMLAW wrote:Do URM typically receive acceptances later in the cycle than the rest? I would believe schools would wait until they got an idea of the less predictable URM pool before they make any decisions......

Yes and no; it completely depends on the school. Some URMs have heard from schools already. However I'm sure there are schools (Harvard comes to mind) that unless you have URM auto-admit numbers, then yes you will be waiting for awhile.

What are auto-admit numbers for Harvard URM? Will be here next cycle so just lurking around trying to get a feel for things. Good luck to all of you!

twenty

Postby twenty » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:51 am

jrsbaseball5 wrote:
EttaJ wrote:

What are auto-admit numbers for Harvard URM? Will be here next cycle so just lurking around trying to get a feel for things. Good luck to all of you!

173+ and also 3.89+

CalAlumni

Postby CalAlumni » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:37 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:
jrsbaseball5 wrote:
EttaJ wrote:

173+ and also 3.89+

Aren't those pretty decent numbers for a non-URM?

mommalee

Postby mommalee » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:44 pm

I'm pretty sure those are the medians.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:47 pm

It really sucks that the OP apparently doesn't visit TLS often. That poll that I suggested with the GPA/LSAT ranges would be very helpful.

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:40 am

It really just depends. If your numbers are strong on their own (i.e. you don't require the boost to be competitive because you're already above medians) then you will hear sooner rather than later. However, if you're numbers aren't that strong then you could find yourself waiting. What I found last year (since I was a mega reverse splitter) was that schools that wanted my high GPA ended up making me wait longer than schools that wanted a high LSAT. Also, at schools like Stanford, Harvard, and Berkeley there tended to be a URM wave of application decisions.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:29 am

thelawschoolproject wrote:

It really just depends. If your numbers are strong on their own (i.e. you don't require the boost to be competitive because you're already above medians) then you will hear sooner rather than later. However, if you're numbers aren't that strong then you could find yourself waiting. What I found last year (since I was a mega reverse splitter) was that schools that wanted my high GPA ended up making me wait longer than schools that wanted a high LSAT. Also, at schools like Stanford, Harvard, and Berkeley there tended to be a URM wave of application decisions.

So, who ended up admitting you, where did you decide to attend and did you make a lawschoolnumbers account to post your cycle?

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:59 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
did you make a lawschoolnumbers account to post your cycle?

Knock yourself out: http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/thelawschoolproject

anela00

Postby anela00 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:33 pm

Just starting filling out Penn's application and came across a very unusual way to describe what tribe you're from. You check one of the following boxes:

Alaska Native
Cherokee
Chippewa
Choctaw
Navajo
Other American Indian
Sioux

Uh really?? Lakotas/Dakotas/Nakotas love being described as "Sioux." And of course there's no place to specify your tribe if you fall into the "other" category.

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:12 pm

anela00 wrote:Just starting filling out Penn's application and came across a very unusual way to describe what tribe you're from. You check one of the following boxes:

Alaska Native
Cherokee
Chippewa
Choctaw
Navajo
Other American Indian
Sioux

Uh really?? Lakotas/Dakotas/Nakotas love being described as "Sioux." And of course there's no place to specify your tribe if you fall into the "other" category.

Wow. That's...different. I don't remember that being around last year.

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:17 pm

Hey, everyone. Checking in and waiting on that Oct. score. Hopefully we get it tomorrow. Right now 3.6/158/PR. Hopefully got 164 in Oct +1/-1 but even then after seeing thelawschoolproject's profile I'm gulping like crazy. T14 might not be in the cards but it's whatever at this point lol.

angflos

Postby angflos » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:02 pm

Checking in with my score. First timer, 167. I have no GPA and expecting a no idea what will happen cycle.

anela00

Postby anela00 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:17 pm

164 to 173!!! I AM ECSTATIC!!!!!!!!!!!! Literally jumping for joy...I can't believe it!!!!

2013hopeful:D

Postby 2013hopeful:D » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:25 pm

checking in

AA Male
LSAC GPA: 3.95
LSAT : 164 (just got it today)

submitted harvard, stanford, and berkeley today...

ac48298

Postby ac48298 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:13 pm

Checking in

URM female
3.65 GPA
166ish LSAT

Applying:
Berkeley
Stanford
Cornell
NYU
Arizona State
Boston U.
UPenn
Michigan
U Texas
University of Georgia

Good luck to everyone submitting applications soon! :)
Last edited by ac48298 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:48 pm

So fellow URM's, why do you want to go to law school? To make a difference or to print money?

Manhattanman

Postby Manhattanman » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:47 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:So fellow URM's, why do you want to go to law school? To make a difference or to print money?

3.0/165. I want to make a difference. I work now with mentally I'll defendants,and I hear horror stories about public defenders. Most of my clients don't know their attorneys name and none of them know their numbers. I want to learn the law and replace one attorney that's sits on their ass and does nothing. If I can get a public interest job that's one lawyer I don't have to worry about fucking over a client.

lawprospie

Postby lawprospie » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:10 am

Found out I scored a 158....wtf...I was practicing at ~165 every single time. I'm definitely retaking in Dec. If we do our apps now and submit them..do we just tell them to hold them until our Dec score comes in?

Psib337

Postby Psib337 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:48 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:So fellow URM's, why do you want to go to law school? To make a difference or to print money?

Honestly neither, I want to go into soft IP work, preferably doing something with the entertaiment industry but I'm sure there's a bunch of people who want to do that so I've been looking into other areas too. Ultimately I think I'd like to work in-house for anyone doing anything with entertainment I don't really care if it's a movie studio, record label, team or league, TV or anything else. My background is in music but in the end I'm not sure how much of a difference that'll make. I'm not sure I'd be making a difference and if I just wanted money there are easier and less time consuming ways to do that than going to law school.

On a separate note I somehow managed to do worse on my retake than I did the first time which was surprising because I did pretty bad the first time and my second score was 9 points below my PT average so hopefully in December everything works out.

lawprospie

Postby lawprospie » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:19 pm

Psib337 wrote:

Honestly neither, I want to go into soft IP work, preferably doing something with the entertaiment industry but I'm sure there's a bunch of people who want to do that so I've been looking into other areas too. Ultimately I think I'd like to work in-house for anyone doing anything with entertainment I don't really care if it's a movie studio, record label, team or league, TV or anything else. My background is in music but in the end I'm not sure how much of a difference that'll make. I'm not sure I'd be making a difference and if I just wanted money there are easier and less time consuming ways to do that than going to law school.

On a separate note I somehow managed to do worse on my retake than I did the first time which was surprising because I did pretty bad the first time and my second score was 9 points below my PT average so hopefully in December everything works out.

I scored 7 pts below my PT average....I've should've known...the LSAT tests can be pretty variable in my opinion. The funny thing is I always did better....both raw and conversion score wise...with "harder" tests

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”