URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby twenty » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:53 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:Does anyone know if its true that minority apps to LS are down substantially over the past few cycles?


Gut feeling says yes. Search LSN by only URM. 09-10 was 4.5 pages of applicants. 10-11 was 3.5 pages. 11-12 was 3 pages. Doubtful it's going to go to ~2.5 pages, though, and remember to take this "evidence" with a grain of salt.

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby dowu » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:33 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:Does anyone know if its true that minority apps to LS are down substantially over the past few cycles?


Gut feeling says yes. Search LSN by only URM. 09-10 was 4.5 pages of applicants. 10-11 was 3.5 pages. 11-12 was 3 pages. Doubtful it's going to go to ~2.5 pages, though, and remember to take this "evidence" with a grain of salt.

Assuming URM apps are down, what does this mean for the rest of us? I mean, do schools REALLY care that much about having URMs?

Relevant: what's the word on SCOTUS taking another look at AA? Is this true?

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby dowu » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:57 pm

Would anyone be willing to exchange diversity statements with me?

Pm me if you're interested.

Thanks!

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby twenty » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:26 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:Assuming URM apps are down, what does this mean for the rest of us? I mean, do schools REALLY care that much about having URMs?


What seems to happen is that URMs are typically below both medians, rarely are they above both. Schools are going to be coming out of their skins to admit URMs above both medians, but that's not unique to this cycle -- they've been doing that for awhile. I will bet you URM splitters do considerably better in terms of scholarship money than previous cycles, however.

Manhattanman
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:16 am

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby Manhattanman » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:45 pm

THIS IS HAPPENING!... 165/3.0 AA MALE. Just submitted my apps to Cornell, Fordham, Georgetown and USC. Good luck to you all.

Manhattanman
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:16 am

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby Manhattanman » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:49 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:Does anyone know if its true that minority apps to LS are down substantially over the past few cycles?


Gut feeling says yes. Search LSN by only URM. 09-10 was 4.5 pages of applicants. 10-11 was 3.5 pages. 11-12 was 3 pages. Doubtful it's going to go to ~2.5 pages, though, and remember to take this "evidence" with a grain of salt.

Assuming URM apps are down, what does this mean for the rest of us? I mean, do schools REALLY care that much about having URMs?

Relevant: what's the word on SCOTUS taking another look at AA? Is this true?


My educated guess on the SCOTUS question is... Schools may be a bit more agressive with recruiting solely on minority status, since this may be the last cycle that that will be considered Constitutional OR schools may try to recruit minorites with some other diversity factor (e.g. graduate school, work experience). In the end, your guess is as good as mine.

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby dowu » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:58 am

twentypercentmore wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:Assuming URM apps are down, what does this mean for the rest of us? I mean, do schools REALLY care that much about having URMs?


What seems to happen is that URMs are typically below both medians, rarely are they above both. Schools are going to be coming out of their skins to admit URMs above both medians, but that's not unique to this cycle -- they've been doing that for awhile. I will bet you URM splitters do considerably better in terms of scholarship money than previous cycles, however.


I sure hope you are right about scholarship money. I know I can get into a school, but my main concern is the cost. I refuse to be buried in debt. REFUSE!

eph
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:21 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby eph » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:35 pm

.
Last edited by eph on Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Percival Jenkins
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:07 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby Percival Jenkins » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:40 pm

eph wrote:New here. Hello. Has anyone else noticed that it seems like there are very few urm directed contacts from the top law schools. I have gotten lots of fee waivers from the t-20 but only 2 mention ethnicity. The rest say how great my stats are, and although my stats are pretty good they are clearly below the medians of many of the schools. I know there could be other reasons for the invites such as padding selectivity, apply and deny. Are schools being cautious in their outreach, with the supreme court about to review race as it relates to admissions?


The court decision will only affect public schools. They wont affect private schools. So it will really depend and plus schools always find ways around it anyway. So that court decision may not matter much anyway.

eph
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:21 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby eph » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:51 pm

.
Last edited by eph on Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noluck123
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:32 am

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby Noluck123 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:15 pm

Question…. I want to apply to the SEO corporate law program. From what I’ve gathered from the mega-thread I won’t be accepted without a T-14 or even T-6 acceptance letter in hand. I’m wondering if I need an acceptance in order to apply. Do I wait/hope for an acceptance letter and then apply? Or is it better to apply early and then update my application as (hopefully) acceptance letters arrive?

Thanks

User avatar
BlaqBella
Posts: 869
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:41 am

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby BlaqBella » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:12 pm

Noluck123 wrote:Question…. I want to apply to the SEO corporate law program. From what I’ve gathered from the mega-thread I won’t be accepted without a T-14 or even T-6 acceptance letter in hand. I’m wondering if I need an acceptance in order to apply. Do I wait/hope for an acceptance letter and then apply? Or is it better to apply early and then update my application as (hopefully) acceptance letters arrive?

Thanks


No, best approach is to apply before waiting for an acceptance letter. However, I believe dings could come not from where you're accepted but where you decide to attend. It could also come from a variety of other reasons (bad interviewing, not being a good fit, etc.).

With respect to the T-14 cut off, there have been some exceptions to the rule.

Manhattanman
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:16 am

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby Manhattanman » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:35 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
Noluck123 wrote:Question…. I want to apply to the SEO corporate law program. From what I’ve gathered from the mega-thread I won’t be accepted without a T-14 or even T-6 acceptance letter in hand. I’m wondering if I need an acceptance in order to apply. Do I wait/hope for an acceptance letter and then apply? Or is it better to apply early and then update my application as (hopefully) acceptance letters arrive?

Thanks


No, best approach is to apply before waiting for an acceptance letter. However, I believe dings could come not from where you're accepted but where you decide to attend. It could also come from a variety of other reasons (bad interviewing, not being a good fit, etc.).

With respect to the T-14 cut off, there have been some exceptions to the rule.


You seem to have a handle on this SEO stuff. I'd like to apply, but I hear they can be pretty prejudicial on applicants that are more than a year out of undergrad. Have you heard of such things?

User avatar
BlaqBella
Posts: 869
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:41 am

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby BlaqBella » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:26 am

Manhattanman wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:
Noluck123 wrote:Question…. I want to apply to the SEO corporate law program. From what I’ve gathered from the mega-thread I won’t be accepted without a T-14 or even T-6 acceptance letter in hand. I’m wondering if I need an acceptance in order to apply. Do I wait/hope for an acceptance letter and then apply? Or is it better to apply early and then update my application as (hopefully) acceptance letters arrive?

Thanks


No, best approach is to apply before waiting for an acceptance letter. However, I believe dings could come not from where you're accepted but where you decide to attend. It could also come from a variety of other reasons (bad interviewing, not being a good fit, etc.).

With respect to the T-14 cut off, there have been some exceptions to the rule.


You seem to have a handle on this SEO stuff. I'd like to apply, but I hear they can be pretty prejudicial on applicants that are more than a year out of undergrad. Have you heard of such things?


No handle at all, just made some observations these past few years and also spoke to some SEO alums.

And no, they certainly do not appear to discriminate with applicants more than a year out of undergrad. There have been a few accepted into the program with a few years of post-grad work experience under their belt.

spiritniffler189
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:04 am

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby spiritniffler189 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:57 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
Noluck123 wrote:Question…. I want to apply to the SEO corporate law program. From what I’ve gathered from the mega-thread I won’t be accepted without a T-14 or even T-6 acceptance letter in hand. I’m wondering if I need an acceptance in order to apply. Do I wait/hope for an acceptance letter and then apply? Or is it better to apply early and then update my application as (hopefully) acceptance letters arrive?

Thanks


No, best approach is to apply before waiting for an acceptance letter. However, I believe dings could come not from where you're accepted but where you decide to attend. It could also come from a variety of other reasons (bad interviewing, not being a good fit, etc.).

With respect to the T-14 cut off, there have been some exceptions to the rule.


SEO alum. Make sure to check out the SEO thread, but to address the ?'s -

1) It's not based on acceptances, so much as where you're attending. If you get into a HYS but decide to go to a T50, well. Probably not getting in. But if you're in at T6's and decide to go to a school ranked outside the T6, but in T20, they understand that.

2) If you've finished your apps and have nothing better to do, then you can apply now but no rush. All the people I discussed this with (prob about 10, including myself) applied to SEO after a few acceptances. If you're applying by Halloween and have solid #'s, you'll have a few acceptances by mid-Dec. I'd say to apply early Dec, then update with the acceptances. You don't want your app just sitting there, with them powerless to do anything for a while. They offhandedly mentioned to us, while asking us to tell friends, about the program, that they don't need to apply til late this yr so I think they agree w/ Dec.

3) And they don't care about time off. I'd say half of us had taken at least a yr off.

User avatar
BlaqBella
Posts: 869
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:41 am

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby BlaqBella » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:05 pm

spiritniffler189 wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:
Noluck123 wrote:Question…. I want to apply to the SEO corporate law program. From what I’ve gathered from the mega-thread I won’t be accepted without a T-14 or even T-6 acceptance letter in hand. I’m wondering if I need an acceptance in order to apply. Do I wait/hope for an acceptance letter and then apply? Or is it better to apply early and then update my application as (hopefully) acceptance letters arrive?

Thanks


No, best approach is to apply before waiting for an acceptance letter. However, I believe dings could come not from where you're accepted but where you decide to attend. It could also come from a variety of other reasons (bad interviewing, not being a good fit, etc.).

With respect to the T-14 cut off, there have been some exceptions to the rule.


SEO alum. Make sure to check out the SEO thread, but to address the ?'s -

1) It's not based on acceptances, so much as where you're attending. If you get into a HYS but decide to go to a T50, well. Probably not getting in. But if you're in at T6's and decide to go to a school ranked outside the T6, but in T20, they understand that.

2) If you've finished your apps and have nothing better to do, then you can apply now but no rush. All the people I discussed this with (prob about 10, including myself) applied to SEO after a few acceptances. If you're applying by Halloween and have solid #'s, you'll have a few acceptances by mid-Dec. I'd say to apply early Dec, then update with the acceptances. You don't want your app just sitting there, with them powerless to do anything for a while. They offhandedly mentioned to us, while asking us to tell friends, about the program, that they don't need to apply til late this yr so I think they agree w/ Dec.

3) And they don't care about time off. I'd say half of us had taken at least a yr off.



Given your observation, are they open to admitting applicants with several years work experience, specifically that of corporate law? Or do they prefer those with little to no corporate law experience?

spiritniffler189
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:04 am

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby spiritniffler189 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:54 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
spiritniffler189 wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:
Noluck123 wrote:Question…. I want to apply to the SEO corporate law program. From what I’ve gathered from the mega-thread I won’t be accepted without a T-14 or even T-6 acceptance letter in hand. I’m wondering if I need an acceptance in order to apply. Do I wait/hope for an acceptance letter and then apply? Or is it better to apply early and then update my application as (hopefully) acceptance letters arrive?

Thanks


No, best approach is to apply before waiting for an acceptance letter. However, I believe dings could come not from where you're accepted but where you decide to attend. It could also come from a variety of other reasons (bad interviewing, not being a good fit, etc.).

With respect to the T-14 cut off, there have been some exceptions to the rule.


SEO alum. Make sure to check out the SEO thread, but to address the ?'s -

1) It's not based on acceptances, so much as where you're attending. If you get into a HYS but decide to go to a T50, well. Probably not getting in. But if you're in at T6's and decide to go to a school ranked outside the T6, but in T20, they understand that.

2) If you've finished your apps and have nothing better to do, then you can apply now but no rush. All the people I discussed this with (prob about 10, including myself) applied to SEO after a few acceptances. If you're applying by Halloween and have solid #'s, you'll have a few acceptances by mid-Dec. I'd say to apply early Dec, then update with the acceptances. You don't want your app just sitting there, with them powerless to do anything for a while. They offhandedly mentioned to us, while asking us to tell friends, about the program, that they don't need to apply til late this yr so I think they agree w/ Dec.

3) And they don't care about time off. I'd say half of us had taken at least a yr off.



Given your observation, are they open to admitting applicants with several years work experience, specifically that of corporate law? Or do they prefer those with little to no corporate law experience?


I can't remember if one person my year worked as a paralegal. I'd say about half of us worked, half came straight through. Some worked for years, some didn't. The only way I could see working having a distinct advantage is you probably have better professional skills, and can handle the interview better. But let's move any other questions here -- viewtopic.php?f=23&t=50541&start=3225

User avatar
CalAlumni
Posts: 214
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 11:58 am

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby CalAlumni » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:25 pm

Hello fellow URM's! I'm applying this coming cycle. GPA = 3.7X & will be taking LSAT in a few days. Testing between 170-175. MA URM btw.

User avatar
bizzybone1313
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby bizzybone1313 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:59 pm

OP, you should create a poll in this thread, so we can gauge how we stand against other minorities.

Range 1: LSAT: 165+ and 3.5+ GPA
Range 2: LSAT: 160+ and 3.0+ GPA
Range 3: Reverse Splitter: 3.7+ GPA and Under 160 LSAT
Range 4: Splitter: -3.0 GPA and 170+ LSAT
Range 5: Other

I have never created a poll, so I do not know how many items you can input, but I think this would be immensely helpful for us in this cycle. Can you still create one even though this thread was started a long time ago?

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby dowu » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:01 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:OP, you should create a poll in this thread, so we can gauge how we stand against other minorities.

Range 1: LSAT: 165+ and 3.5+ GPA
Range 2: LSAT: 160+ and 3.0+ GPA
Range 3: Reverse Splitter: 3.7+ GPA and Under 160 LSAT
Range 4: Splitter: -3.0 GPA and 170+ LSAT
Range 5: Other

I have never created a poll, so I do not know how many items you can input, but I think this would be immensely helpful for us in this cycle. Can you still create one even though this thread was started a long time ago?

Yes, you can still create one. Also, there are ten spots for a poll.

Riyadh
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:24 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby Riyadh » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:12 pm

African American male checking in. GPA 3.7 and LSAT forthcoming (I'm taking the Oct. exam). Good luck to everybody applying this cycle!

User avatar
LSAT>LDAC
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 1:02 am

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby LSAT>LDAC » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:33 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:OP, you should create a poll in this thread, so we can gauge how we stand against other minorities.

Range 1: LSAT: 165+ and 3.5+ GPA
Range 2: LSAT: 160+ and 3.0+ GPA
Range 3: Reverse Splitter: 3.7+ GPA and Under 160 LSAT
Range 4: Splitter: -3.0 GPA and 170+ LSAT
Range 5: Other

I have never created a poll, so I do not know how many items you can input, but I think this would be immensely helpful for us in this cycle. Can you still create one even though this thread was started a long time ago?



I agree, well with everything except the splitter margins. It should be -3.0 and 165+; if we are referring to URM's.

edit: ... and 3.5+ w/ Under 160 for reverse splitters.

lawprospie
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:50 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby lawprospie » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:33 pm

My heart is ponding ya'll.

I took PT63 last night and got a 167 (highest to date). My PTs have been 165. I'm scurred because I know some people go down on exam day.

Also, excited because I got a 167...which could put me in the H/S range (...or not..please don't chew me up TLS community)

Anyway, good luck with the last week of studying my fellow URM Oct LSAT testakers.

User avatar
BlaqBella
Posts: 869
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:41 am

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby BlaqBella » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:39 pm

lawprospie wrote:My heart is ponding ya'll.

I took PT63 last night and got a 167 (highest to date). My PTs have been 165. I'm scurred because I know some people go down on exam day.

Also, excited because I got a 167...which could put me in the H/S range (...or not..please don't chew me up TLS community)

Anyway, good luck with the last week of studying my fellow URM Oct LSAT testakers.


+1.

Just don't burn out before Saturday AM. Take Friday off if you can and before you head to the test center, try and do one or two timed sections for warm-up without looking at the answer key.

Best wishes to all!

lawprospie
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:50 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby lawprospie » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:07 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
lawprospie wrote:My heart is ponding ya'll.

I took PT63 last night and got a 167 (highest to date). My PTs have been 165. I'm scurred because I know some people go down on exam day.

Also, excited because I got a 167...which could put me in the H/S range (...or not..please don't chew me up TLS community)

Anyway, good luck with the last week of studying my fellow URM Oct LSAT testakers.


+1.

Just don't burn out before Saturday AM. Take Friday off if you can and before you head to the test center, try and do one or two timed sections for warm-up without looking at the answer key.

Best wishes to all!



Hmm good idea about warming up! I think that might be useful. I might also have 1 or 2 glasses of wine Friday evening to calm my nerves.

Btw, WHO ELSE IS GOING H.A.M SAT NIGHT AFTER THE LSAT? NYC aint ready for this young buck




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: stjeff00 and 2 guests