URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
davee817
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:47 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby davee817 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:33 pm

gcd0224 wrote:Does HLS give a lot of scholarship money? I haven't heard of anyone getting money yet (although i'm sure there are people between YLS and HLS that might have gotten some)... but do you think its even worth it to ask them for money?


They do need-based. They have a 10-day turn around from the day you submit all the files they've requested. I already got my package. They're pretty generous.

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby PRgradBYU » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:04 pm

GW1010 wrote:In at NYU! Stats/dates in profile


Congrats, man! Finally hearing back from more schools, eh?

User avatar
Psib337
Posts: 315
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:18 am

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby Psib337 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:08 pm

Dmini7 wrote:
wbrother wrote:
Psib337 wrote:dinged at UCLA :( I guess that takes care of what school I'd pick if I had to choose between USC and UCLA...but I've been in final review at UCLA for a week now so I'm guessing that's a waitlist at best since people with the same status date got accepted last Friday.

Which one did you get dinged from, and which one are you in final review at?


I think the person is in Final review at USC, because UCLA doesn't notify you of your position in the process until they make a decision as far as I know (besides teh initial email saying you went complete).


exactly, UCLA's lack of a status checker was annoying, even though more often than not there's not change I like being able to check

User avatar
GW1010
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby GW1010 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:37 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
GW1010 wrote:In at NYU! Stats/dates in profile


Congrats, man! Finally hearing back from more schools, eh?


Thanks bro - it's weird that we have basically the exact same numbers but are hearing back from the same schools at such different times lol. I'm still jealous of that JS1 though!

gcd0224
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:12 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby gcd0224 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:52 pm

Dean's scholarship at Duke! All this money is really going to make my decision much more complicated than I expected...

mommalee
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:05 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby mommalee » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:10 pm

gcd0224 wrote:Dean's scholarship at Duke! All this money is really going to make my decision much more complicated than I expected...


Congrats, and Congrats to all the other recent acceptances as well.

User avatar
clouded.memory
Posts: 323
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:26 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby clouded.memory » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:59 am

Waitlisted at UVA this morning, but I've known it was coming for a while now. Now just waiting to hear from the top three, and my cycle will be complete.

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby twenty » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:07 am

Dropped at UVA.

jsjd1989
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:16 am

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby jsjd1989 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:08 pm

I know a lot of us are still waiting on a lot of decisions to be made. With that said, what have you all been doing with financial aid stuff? I have only sent in material to the (one) school I have actually received an acceptance from. Should I go head and send the forms to the schools I haven't heard from yet? Thanks!!!!! Sending good thoughts to all those (who like me) are still waiting on a ton of schools!

User avatar
2012applicant2013
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:25 am

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby 2012applicant2013 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:16 pm

hyakku wrote:Haven't been in this section in a minute, but I checked and saw that some of you have some concerns about your admissions cycle. Here to give some reassurance. I applied last cycle when Law school's were just realizing how down their app counts were. I was set on Michigan, got WLed and around late March / Early April got in, w/ $$ (significant cash). Was also on WL at CLS and NYU (removed myself so I could get my seat deposit at Mich waived, knew I wanted to be here), which, in previous years was supposed to be a death knell. Let me tell you how wrong that was. Somewhere around July / August (I also was in the SEO program, which you all should have applied to) a bunch of people in SEO going to CCNMVPB all started getting into HYS off the WL, and I mean I'm talking at least 15-20 people or so changed IIRC. This meant a lot of people going DCNG started getting into CCNMVPB and could negotiate money. This was in JULY / AUGUST!

Anyway, it's early as shit and I'm a little disjointed now so I'll try to come back and clear this up, but just want to let you guys know that it's standard (especially with apps down) for schools to hold off on URMs to try to gauge what they're going to do, but if you have solid stats that would've gotten you in previous years, chances are with the down cycle (which affects high quality URM applicants even more) you'll not only get in, but can negotiate money. AND DO NOT BE FOOLISH AND NOT NEGOTIATE A SCHOLARSHIP, ONCE YOU'RE IN, THEY AREN'T KICKING YOU OUT FOR ASKING FOR MONEY! I can't stress this enough, I know a friend here who should have money that doesn't because he was too timid.

Also, if you're a splitter, definitely relax. I had something like a 3.25 or 3.3 and a 170 (171? Pretty sure it was a 170 lol) when I applied and I definitely heard later than many people, but I also ended up getting accepted / WLed at places where others got rejected from far earlier. I'll try to clean this up later/ answer any questions / relieve any stress if I can help. Peace all, stay strong.


Did you or anyone you know negotiate for more $$ from HYS?

User avatar
facile princeps
Posts: 421
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:51 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby facile princeps » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:35 pm

2012applicant2013 wrote:
hyakku wrote:Haven't been in this section in a minute, but I checked and saw that some of you have some concerns about your admissions cycle. Here to give some reassurance. I applied last cycle when Law school's were just realizing how down their app counts were. I was set on Michigan, got WLed and around late March / Early April got in, w/ $$ (significant cash). Was also on WL at CLS and NYU (removed myself so I could get my seat deposit at Mich waived, knew I wanted to be here), which, in previous years was supposed to be a death knell. Let me tell you how wrong that was. Somewhere around July / August (I also was in the SEO program, which you all should have applied to) a bunch of people in SEO going to CCNMVPB all started getting into HYS off the WL, and I mean I'm talking at least 15-20 people or so changed IIRC. This meant a lot of people going DCNG started getting into CCNMVPB and could negotiate money. This was in JULY / AUGUST!

Anyway, it's early as shit and I'm a little disjointed now so I'll try to come back and clear this up, but just want to let you guys know that it's standard (especially with apps down) for schools to hold off on URMs to try to gauge what they're going to do, but if you have solid stats that would've gotten you in previous years, chances are with the down cycle (which affects high quality URM applicants even more) you'll not only get in, but can negotiate money. AND DO NOT BE FOOLISH AND NOT NEGOTIATE A SCHOLARSHIP, ONCE YOU'RE IN, THEY AREN'T KICKING YOU OUT FOR ASKING FOR MONEY! I can't stress this enough, I know a friend here who should have money that doesn't because he was too timid.

Also, if you're a splitter, definitely relax. I had something like a 3.25 or 3.3 and a 170 (171? Pretty sure it was a 170 lol) when I applied and I definitely heard later than many people, but I also ended up getting accepted / WLed at places where others got rejected from far earlier. I'll try to clean this up later/ answer any questions / relieve any stress if I can help. Peace all, stay strong.


Did you or anyone you know negotiate for more $$ from HYS?

FWIW, Harvard made it clear that they don't negotiate. They only offer need based grants. However, they said that if you have been offered any other purely need based grants that is significantly different from their offer, they would re-evaluate your financial situation to see if they took everything into consideration. I can't speak for Y or S.

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby PRgradBYU » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:21 pm

GW1010 wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:
GW1010 wrote:In at NYU! Stats/dates in profile


Congrats, man! Finally hearing back from more schools, eh?


Thanks bro - it's weird that we have basically the exact same numbers but are hearing back from the same schools at such different times lol. I'm still jealous of that JS1 though!


Haha yeah, it's crazy how it's been working out. It's just a testament to the arbitrariness of the law schools admissions process! Your JS1 is definitely coming though, man. Aside from a string of holds today and dings last week, there's been very little movement on the Harvard front lately. I think we're all overdue for some action.

User avatar
jcan91
Posts: 224
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:24 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby jcan91 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:39 am

Got rejected by Harvard yesterday...consolation though, got accepted to Duke that same day!

User avatar
dawyzest1
Posts: 233
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:39 am

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby dawyzest1 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:24 am

jcan91 wrote:Got rejected by Harvard yesterday...consolation though, got accepted to Duke that same day!


:( sorry, jcan! You had a JS1, right? You'd figure waitlist is the worst case for a URM post-JS1. Not a good sign for the rest of us hoping for Harvard.

In any event, congrats on Duke! I'm hoping really hard for them myself.

User avatar
txdude45
Posts: 912
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 6:25 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby txdude45 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:40 am

jcan91 wrote:Got rejected by Harvard yesterday...consolation though, got accepted to Duke that same day!


Sorry to hear that jcan. I've been rooting for you all cycle.

User avatar
LSH91
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:01 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby LSH91 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:21 pm

jcan91 wrote:Got rejected by Harvard yesterday...consolation though, got accepted to Duke that same day!



Congrats on Duke!!! So sorry to hear about Harvard :(

User avatar
jcan91
Posts: 224
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:24 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby jcan91 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:01 pm

txdude45 wrote:
jcan91 wrote:Got rejected by Harvard yesterday...consolation though, got accepted to Duke that same day!


Sorry to hear that jcan. I've been rooting for you all cycle.


Aw thanks :) I really appreciate the support! Dont know why I got straight dibged but mayve God juat has other plans so I cant complain!

User avatar
wbrother
Posts: 499
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:02 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby wbrother » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:36 pm

Just got the PR from Duke... Oh well, I've already accepted myself as a Trojan.

User avatar
Dmini7
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby Dmini7 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:41 pm

wbrother wrote:Just got the PR from Duke... Oh well, I've already accepted myself as a Trojan.


What I would give to get your scholarship from USC. At this point I don't even know if I am getting money from them :(. But grats on all your acceptances. Your cycle seems to have been pretty successful :). Do you plan on sticking out Dukes PR?

User avatar
wbrother
Posts: 499
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:02 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby wbrother » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:52 pm

Dmini7 wrote:
wbrother wrote:Just got the PR from Duke... Oh well, I've already accepted myself as a Trojan.


What I would give to get your scholarship from USC. At this point I don't even know if I am getting money from them :(. But grats on all your acceptances. Your cycle seems to have been pretty successful :). Do you plan on sticking out Dukes PR?

I'm scheduled to visit USC soon. I feel like I'll be able to make a final decision shortly after that. I can't imagine turning down their offer for sticker or close to it at anywhere, so unless something really upsets me during my visit I'll submit my deposit and withdraw from everywhere else.

User avatar
HankBashir
Posts: 536
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:01 am

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby HankBashir » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:59 am

wbrother wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:
wbrother wrote:Just got the PR from Duke... Oh well, I've already accepted myself as a Trojan.


What I would give to get your scholarship from USC. At this point I don't even know if I am getting money from them :(. But grats on all your acceptances. Your cycle seems to have been pretty successful :). Do you plan on sticking out Dukes PR?

I'm scheduled to visit USC soon. I feel like I'll be able to make a final decision shortly after that. I can't imagine turning down their offer for sticker or close to it at anywhere, so unless something really upsets me during my visit I'll submit my deposit and withdraw from everywhere else.


Have you heard back from NU yet?

User avatar
wbrother
Posts: 499
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:02 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby wbrother » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:11 pm

HankBashir wrote:
wbrother wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:
wbrother wrote:Just got the PR from Duke... Oh well, I've already accepted myself as a Trojan.


What I would give to get your scholarship from USC. At this point I don't even know if I am getting money from them :(. But grats on all your acceptances. Your cycle seems to have been pretty successful :). Do you plan on sticking out Dukes PR?

I'm scheduled to visit USC soon. I feel like I'll be able to make a final decision shortly after that. I can't imagine turning down their offer for sticker or close to it at anywhere, so unless something really upsets me during my visit I'll submit my deposit and withdraw from everywhere else.


Have you heard back from NU yet?

I haven't! I sent in a LOCI to update them on things and I received an email from them acknowledging it. But no updates to the status checker since 1/31... They'll fly me out there for free, but they won't even WL me?

User avatar
HankBashir
Posts: 536
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:01 am

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby HankBashir » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:13 pm

wbrother wrote:. But no updates to the status checker since 1/31... They'll fly me out there for free, but they won't even WL me?


At least they haven't rejected us yet. It isn't over until it's over.

dukie4
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:13 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby dukie4 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:20 pm

Held at Harvard last Friday.Still no word from Duke, NYU, Stanford, UChicago, or my hold from Northwestern. Pretty set on Columbia.

User avatar
2012applicant2013
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:25 am

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby 2012applicant2013 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:49 pm

Withdrew from NYU and Scholarship interview invite today.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests