URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
gcd0224
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:12 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby gcd0224 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:53 pm

aiaea wrote:Just got into Columbia! Biggest.Miracle.of.My.Life.


Congrats!

lawprospie
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:50 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby lawprospie » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:00 pm

CONGRATS AIEA! I just got accepted to Columbia as well. I went complete in mid Jan.

Edit: Oh yeah I forgot, rejected from Harvard on Friday. Straight ding, not even a JS1.

User avatar
John_rizzy_rawls
Posts: 3477
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:05 pm

lawprospie wrote:CONGRATS AIEA! I just got accepted to Columbia as well. I went complete in mid Jan.

Edit: Oh yeah I forgot, rejected from Harvard on Friday. Straight ding, not even a JS1.


Congrats! You got straight dinged from Harvard but nabbed Stanford? Weird. lol

lawprospie
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:50 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby lawprospie » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:08 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
lawprospie wrote:CONGRATS AIEA! I just got accepted to Columbia as well. I went complete in mid Jan.

Edit: Oh yeah I forgot, rejected from Harvard on Friday. Straight ding, not even a JS1.


Congrats! You got straight dinged from Harvard but nabbed Stanford? Weird. lol


I thought the same thing, but honestly I always thought I stood a better shot at Stanford. That sounds weird, but I had some great softs and some great research experiences. Also, Stanford mentioned my work experience in a congrats email. I don't think Harvard was thrilled with my first LSAT score.

User avatar
bananapudding88
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:11 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby bananapudding88 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:10 pm

Thanks all!! :) I'm over the moon excited!!!

And lawpropsie, I got dinged from H on Friday too :D All the more reason CLS's decision today was shocking!

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby PRgradBYU » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:00 pm

aiaea wrote:Thanks all!! :) I'm over the moon excited!!!

And lawpropsie, I got dinged from H on Friday too :D All the more reason CLS's decision today was shocking!


So there was some movement with HLS on Friday? Sorry about the ding... but CONGRATS ON CLS! That's incredible news.

User avatar
TatNurner
Posts: 437
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:06 am

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby TatNurner » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:07 pm

Congrats aiaea!

User avatar
Psib337
Posts: 315
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:18 am

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby Psib337 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:27 pm

dinged at UCLA :( I guess that takes care of what school I'd pick if I had to choose between USC and UCLA...but I've been in final review at UCLA for a week now so I'm guessing that's a waitlist at best since people with the same status date got accepted last Friday.

User avatar
clouded.memory
Posts: 323
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:26 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby clouded.memory » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:50 pm

aiaea wrote:Just got into Columbia! Biggest.Miracle.of.My.Life.

lawprospie wrote:CONGRATS AIEA! I just got accepted to Columbia as well. I went complete in mid Jan.

Congrats aiaea and lawpropsie! I'm so excited for both of you! Maybe I'll see you guys in a few weeks at ASW? :)

User avatar
d330
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:30 am

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby d330 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:03 pm

clouded.memory wrote:
aiaea wrote:Just got into Columbia! Biggest.Miracle.of.My.Life.

lawprospie wrote:CONGRATS AIEA! I just got accepted to Columbia as well. I went complete in mid Jan.

Congrats aiaea and lawpropsie! I'm so excited for both of you! Maybe I'll see you guys in a few weeks at ASW? :)


Just got into Columbia too. Congrats all.

User avatar
clouded.memory
Posts: 323
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:26 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby clouded.memory » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:47 pm

d330 wrote:
clouded.memory wrote:
aiaea wrote:Just got into Columbia! Biggest.Miracle.of.My.Life.

lawprospie wrote:CONGRATS AIEA! I just got accepted to Columbia as well. I went complete in mid Jan.

Congrats aiaea and lawpropsie! I'm so excited for both of you! Maybe I'll see you guys in a few weeks at ASW? :)


Just got into Columbia too. Congrats all.

Congrats to you too, d330!

User avatar
txdude45
Posts: 912
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 6:25 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby txdude45 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:40 pm

d330 wrote:
clouded.memory wrote:
aiaea wrote:Just got into Columbia! Biggest.Miracle.of.My.Life.

lawprospie wrote:CONGRATS AIEA! I just got accepted to Columbia as well. I went complete in mid Jan.

Congrats aiaea and lawpropsie! I'm so excited for both of you! Maybe I'll see you guys in a few weeks at ASW? :)


Just got into Columbia too. Congrats all.


Any of y'all get a Hammy, or Butler?

User avatar
clouded.memory
Posts: 323
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:26 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby clouded.memory » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:58 am

txdude45 wrote:Any of y'all get a Hammy, or Butler?

Haha, I wish. :(

User avatar
d330
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:30 am

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby d330 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:59 am

clouded.memory wrote:
txdude45 wrote:Any of y'all get a Hammy, or Butler?

Haha, I wish. :(


It would be nice though!

User avatar
bosmer88
Posts: 417
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:07 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby bosmer88 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:40 am

A good number were admitted to CLS today! Congrats!

I didn't get any money from CLS either, but still happy nonetheless. :)

Totally can't wait to visit NYC for ASW!

User avatar
hyakku
Posts: 604
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:35 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby hyakku » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:16 am

Haven't been in this section in a minute, but I checked and saw that some of you have some concerns about your admissions cycle. Here to give some reassurance. I applied last cycle when Law school's were just realizing how down their app counts were. I was set on Michigan, got WLed and around late March / Early April got in, w/ $$ (significant cash). Was also on WL at CLS and NYU (removed myself so I could get my seat deposit at Mich waived, knew I wanted to be here), which, in previous years was supposed to be a death knell. Let me tell you how wrong that was. Somewhere around July / August (I also was in the SEO program, which you all should have applied to) a bunch of people in SEO going to CCNMVPB all started getting into HYS off the WL, and I mean I'm talking at least 15-20 people or so changed IIRC. This meant a lot of people going DCNG started getting into CCNMVPB and could negotiate money. This was in JULY / AUGUST!

Anyway, it's early as shit and I'm a little disjointed now so I'll try to come back and clear this up, but just want to let you guys know that it's standard (especially with apps down) for schools to hold off on URMs to try to gauge what they're going to do, but if you have solid stats that would've gotten you in previous years, chances are with the down cycle (which affects high quality URM applicants even more) you'll not only get in, but can negotiate money. AND DO NOT BE FOOLISH AND NOT NEGOTIATE A SCHOLARSHIP, ONCE YOU'RE IN, THEY AREN'T KICKING YOU OUT FOR ASKING FOR MONEY! I can't stress this enough, I know a friend here who should have money that doesn't because he was too timid.

Also, if you're a splitter, definitely relax. I had something like a 3.25 or 3.3 and a 170 (171? Pretty sure it was a 170 lol) when I applied and I definitely heard later than many people, but I also ended up getting accepted / WLed at places where others got rejected from far earlier. I'll try to clean this up later/ answer any questions / relieve any stress if I can help. Peace all, stay strong.

User avatar
wbrother
Posts: 499
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:02 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby wbrother » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:36 pm

Psib337 wrote:dinged at UCLA :( I guess that takes care of what school I'd pick if I had to choose between USC and UCLA...but I've been in final review at UCLA for a week now so I'm guessing that's a waitlist at best since people with the same status date got accepted last Friday.

Which one did you get dinged from, and which one are you in final review at?

User avatar
Dmini7
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby Dmini7 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:47 pm

wbrother wrote:
Psib337 wrote:dinged at UCLA :( I guess that takes care of what school I'd pick if I had to choose between USC and UCLA...but I've been in final review at UCLA for a week now so I'm guessing that's a waitlist at best since people with the same status date got accepted last Friday.

Which one did you get dinged from, and which one are you in final review at?


I think the person is in Final review at USC, because UCLA doesn't notify you of your position in the process until they make a decision as far as I know (besides teh initial email saying you went complete).

dffoxychick08
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:04 am

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby dffoxychick08 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:54 pm

hyakku wrote:Haven't been in this section in a minute, but I checked and saw that some of you have some concerns about your admissions cycle. Here to give some reassurance. I applied last cycle when Law school's were just realizing how down their app counts were. I was set on Michigan, got WLed and around late March / Early April got in, w/ $$ (significant cash). Was also on WL at CLS and NYU (removed myself so I could get my seat deposit at Mich waived, knew I wanted to be here), which, in previous years was supposed to be a death knell. Let me tell you how wrong that was. Somewhere around July / August (I also was in the SEO program, which you all should have applied to) a bunch of people in SEO going to CCNMVPB all started getting into HYS off the WL, and I mean I'm talking at least 15-20 people or so changed IIRC. This meant a lot of people going DCNG started getting into CCNMVPB and could negotiate money. This was in JULY / AUGUST!

Anyway, it's early as shit and I'm a little disjointed now so I'll try to come back and clear this up, but just want to let you guys know that it's standard (especially with apps down) for schools to hold off on URMs to try to gauge what they're going to do, but if you have solid stats that would've gotten you in previous years, chances are with the down cycle (which affects high quality URM applicants even more) you'll not only get in, but can negotiate money. AND DO NOT BE FOOLISH AND NOT NEGOTIATE A SCHOLARSHIP, ONCE YOU'RE IN, THEY AREN'T KICKING YOU OUT FOR ASKING FOR MONEY! I can't stress this enough, I know a friend here who should have money that doesn't because he was too timid.

Also, if you're a splitter, definitely relax. I had something like a 3.25 or 3.3 and a 170 (171? Pretty sure it was a 170 lol) when I applied and I definitely heard later than many people, but I also ended up getting accepted / WLed at places where others got rejected from far earlier. I'll try to clean this up later/ answer any questions / relieve any stress if I can help. Peace all, stay strong.


Thanks Hyakku, this message really helped give me some hope!

User avatar
2012applicant2013
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:25 am

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby 2012applicant2013 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:44 pm

Withdrew from UPenn, Michigan, Northwestern, Georgetown, Cornell and UTexas Austin today. I hope this opens up spots for those who are waiting!

Stanford is the last school between me and the end of my cycle. Then I have to make the agonizing decision between the Ruby at UChicago and HLS (originally my absolute dream school but pricey). Good luck all!

gcd0224
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:12 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby gcd0224 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:54 pm

Does HLS give a lot of scholarship money? I haven't heard of anyone getting money yet (although i'm sure there are people between YLS and HLS that might have gotten some)... but do you think its even worth it to ask them for money?

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby JXander » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:23 pm

2012applicant2013 wrote:Withdrew from UPenn, Michigan, Northwestern, Georgetown, Cornell and UTexas Austin today. I hope this opens up spots for those who are waiting!

OHTHANKYOU.
hyakku wrote:Haven't been in this section in a minute, but I checked and saw that some of you have some concerns about your admissions cycle. Here to give some reassurance. I applied last cycle when Law school's were just realizing how down their app counts were. I was set on Michigan, got WLed and around late March / Early April got in, w/ $$ (significant cash). Was also on WL at CLS and NYU (removed myself so I could get my seat deposit at Mich waived, knew I wanted to be here), which, in previous years was supposed to be a death knell. Let me tell you how wrong that was. Somewhere around July / August (I also was in the SEO program, which you all should have applied to) a bunch of people in SEO going to CCNMVPB all started getting into HYS off the WL, and I mean I'm talking at least 15-20 people or so changed IIRC. This meant a lot of people going DCNG started getting into CCNMVPB and could negotiate money. This was in JULY / AUGUST!

Anyway, it's early as shit and I'm a little disjointed now so I'll try to come back and clear this up, but just want to let you guys know that it's standard (especially with apps down) for schools to hold off on URMs to try to gauge what they're going to do, but if you have solid stats that would've gotten you in previous years, chances are with the down cycle (which affects high quality URM applicants even more) you'll not only get in, but can negotiate money. AND DO NOT BE FOOLISH AND NOT NEGOTIATE A SCHOLARSHIP, ONCE YOU'RE IN, THEY AREN'T KICKING YOU OUT FOR ASKING FOR MONEY! I can't stress this enough, I know a friend here who should have money that doesn't because he was too timid.

Also, if you're a splitter, definitely relax. I had something like a 3.25 or 3.3 and a 170 (171? Pretty sure it was a 170 lol) when I applied and I definitely heard later than many people, but I also ended up getting accepted / WLed at places where others got rejected from far earlier. I'll try to clean this up later/ answer any questions / relieve any stress if I can help. Peace all, stay strong.

Very encouraging, thanks. I just hope that also applies to reverse-splitters, too.

User avatar
Sevenkingdoms
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:37 am

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby Sevenkingdoms » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:28 pm

Does anyone know some good private scholarships for URM 1Ls? I already know about the ABA and United Negro College Fund, but I would like to apply to a few others.

Thanks!

User avatar
GW1010
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby GW1010 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:52 pm

In at NYU! Stats/dates in profile

User avatar
2012applicant2013
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:25 am

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Postby 2012applicant2013 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:10 pm

gcd0224 wrote:Does HLS give a lot of scholarship money? I haven't heard of anyone getting money yet (although i'm sure there are people between YLS and HLS that might have gotten some)... but do you think its even worth it to ask them for money?


HLS only does need-based aid.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests