URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go! Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
dawyzest1

Bronze

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Post by dawyzest1 » Thu May 16, 2013 7:50 am

DaRascal wrote:Well just got my final college grades back and it looks like my LSDAS will be set in stone as a 3.49 if I reapply in a future cycle. Do you think that hurts me that I dipped under 3.5?
Hopefully I can get in somewhere right now but I think I'm about ready for my June retake.
I don't think that's going to make that big of a difference. Now, the difference between 3.69 and 3.7 and 3.79 (where I am forever in time) and 3.8 are bigger.

GW1010

Bronze

Post by GW1010 » Thu May 16, 2013 4:54 pm

Thank goodness I applied straight from undergrad...senior grades are in for me too and I got a C in Psychology among other not so great marks. Senioritis was terrible, good thing it doesn't matter!

dawyzest1

Bronze

Post by dawyzest1 » Thu May 16, 2013 4:57 pm

GW1010 wrote:Thank goodness I applied straight from undergrad...senior grades are in for me too and I got a C in Psychology among other not so great marks. Senioritis was terrible, good thing it doesn't matter!
I think it suffices to say you had a "veni, vidi, vici" experience in undergrad so senioritis is more than understandable.

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Thu May 16, 2013 4:58 pm

dawyzest1 wrote:
DaRascal wrote:Well just got my final college grades back and it looks like my LSDAS will be set in stone as a 3.49 if I reapply in a future cycle. Do you think that hurts me that I dipped under 3.5?
Hopefully I can get in somewhere right now but I think I'm about ready for my June retake.
I don't think that's going to make that big of a difference. Now, the difference between 3.69 and 3.7 and 3.79 (where I am forever in time) and 3.8 are bigger.
The 3.49/3.5 distinction matters. 3.5 and 165 are important benchmarks for URMs because of low supply.

facile princeps

Bronze

Post by facile princeps » Fri May 17, 2013 12:33 pm

I thought I'd post this here since I had a good experience using their free PS review service. Quite frankly, if they weren't based in CA, I probably would've attended some of their events, too.
Please Distribute:
SAVE THE DATE

FPOC's Annual Personal Statement Review

Dear Colleague:

For People of Color, Inc. ("FPOC") will start accepting personal statements from prospective law school applicants, for our review, during the period of Monday, July 1, 2013, thru Sunday, July 7, 2013. Please do not send us any personal statements at this time.

This is a free service made possible by the generosity and support of our donors. (See list below.)

We are only going to review personal statements and will not review resumes, supplemental statements, or letters of recommendation. Also, we do not grant any extension requests.

Submission Requirements:

Personal statements submitted for our review must strictly adhere to the following requirements:

1. Review FPOC’s Law School Admissions Resources: Only prospective applicants who previously attended one of our law school admissions conferences (e.g., live event or video) or have read our admissions guide will be eligible to submit statements for our review. The links to these resources are below.

Video of Law School Admissions Workshop

FPOC’s Law School Admissions Guide

The admissions workshop and guide will assist you in preparing your statement.

2. No First Drafts: FPOC does not review first drafts. Please only submit a statement that you consider to be your “final draft.” Make absolutely sure that your statement does not contain any typographical, spelling, or grammatical errors. Our review will focus exclusively on content of your statement and is not designed to identify and correct such errors.

3. Three-Page Limit: We will not review any statements that exceed three (3) pages.

4. Line Spacing: Statements must be double-spaced.

5. Margins & Font Size: Minimum of one (1)-inch margins and 12-point font. Do not try to “squeeze” a 4-5 page statement into 3 pages.

6. Document Format: Submissions must be in Word (.doc or .docx) format. Some of our admissions consultants provide tracked changes, thus the reason we require documents in Word format. Do not submit .pdf, .tiff, .jpeg, or Word Perfect files.

Distribution of Link to Submission Form / FPOC'S Listserve:

A link to the submission form will be sent to our e-mail listserve (i.e., individuals who receive e-mails directly from us) the morning of Monday, July 1st.

Click Here to Join FPOC’s E-mail Listserve

Any statements that are directly e-mailed to us will be ignored. Again, please do not send us any statements at this time.

For People of Color, Inc.’s Admissions Consultants:

Your statement will be assigned to one of our admissions consultants for review. Click here to review our consultants’ biographies (scroll to the bottom of the page).

Feedback Deadline:

FPOC’s feedback will be provided on or before August 18, 2013.

For People of Color, Inc.'s Sponsors:

Angel Sponsors:

Willie D. Brown, Jr.

California Minority Counsel Program

Platinum Sponsors:

Munger, Tolles & Olson LLP

State Bar of California – Environmental Law Section

Stephen Abreu

Custodio & Dubey LLP

Sabas D. Carrillo

Law Offices of Miguel Duarte

Parissh A. Knox

Monica M. Ortiz

Norma Nava

Juan J. Redin

misty m. sanford & Gideon Kracov

Vilma R. Palma-Solana & Anthony Solana, Jr.

Gold Sponsor:

Lim, Ruger, & Kim, LLP

Silver Sponsors:

Sunita Bali-Williams

Alec Y. Chang

Scott Franklin

Rodney O. Fong

Bethany and Steve Kristovich

www.forpeopleofcolor.org

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Fri May 17, 2013 1:58 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
dawyzest1 wrote:
The 3.49/3.5 distinction matters. 3.5 and 165 are important benchmarks for URMs because of low supply.
Oh fuck me... :roll:

Well guess it's time to make lemonade out of these lemons. BC it is barring WL movement. 8)

vamopalla

New

Post by vamopalla » Fri May 24, 2013 5:27 pm

does anyone know of any urms who have gotten off the WL at HLS this cycle?

kuddlykoala

Bronze

Post by kuddlykoala » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:21 am

vamopalla wrote:does anyone know of any urms who have gotten off the WL at HLS this cycle?
So has anyone heard back?

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:44 am

kuddlykoala wrote:
vamopalla wrote:does anyone know of any urms who have gotten off the WL at HLS this cycle?
No URMs have reported getting in off the WL.

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:20 pm

txdude45 wrote:
kuddlykoala wrote:
No URMs have reported getting in off the WL.
Seems like not many URMs at all have gotten off of T14 waitlists to this point.

I'm starting to believe LawDog3's posts in this thread:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/archives ... =7&t=77859

CalAlumni

Bronze

Post by CalAlumni » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:22 pm

Going to Northwestern...had fun with all of you throughout the process!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”