URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go! Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
davee817

New

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle... let's go!

Post by davee817 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:33 pm

gcd0224 wrote:Does HLS give a lot of scholarship money? I haven't heard of anyone getting money yet (although i'm sure there are people between YLS and HLS that might have gotten some)... but do you think its even worth it to ask them for money?
They do need-based. They have a 10-day turn around from the day you submit all the files they've requested. I already got my package. They're pretty generous.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:04 pm

GW1010 wrote:In at NYU! Stats/dates in profile
Congrats, man! Finally hearing back from more schools, eh?

Psib337

Bronze

Post by Psib337 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:08 pm

Dmini7 wrote:
wbrother wrote:
Psib337 wrote:dinged at UCLA :( I guess that takes care of what school I'd pick if I had to choose between USC and UCLA...but I've been in final review at UCLA for a week now so I'm guessing that's a waitlist at best since people with the same status date got accepted last Friday.
Which one did you get dinged from, and which one are you in final review at?
I think the person is in Final review at USC, because UCLA doesn't notify you of your position in the process until they make a decision as far as I know (besides teh initial email saying you went complete).
exactly, UCLA's lack of a status checker was annoying, even though more often than not there's not change I like being able to check

GW1010

Bronze

Post by GW1010 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:37 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
Thanks bro - it's weird that we have basically the exact same numbers but are hearing back from the same schools at such different times lol. I'm still jealous of that JS1 though!

gcd0224

New

Post by gcd0224 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:52 pm

Dean's scholarship at Duke! All this money is really going to make my decision much more complicated than I expected...

mommalee

Bronze

Post by mommalee » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:10 pm

gcd0224 wrote:Dean's scholarship at Duke! All this money is really going to make my decision much more complicated than I expected...
Congrats, and Congrats to all the other recent acceptances as well.

clouded.memory

Bronze

Post by clouded.memory » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:59 am

Waitlisted at UVA this morning, but I've known it was coming for a while now. Now just waiting to hear from the top three, and my cycle will be complete.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:07 am

Dropped at UVA.

jsjd1989

New

Post by jsjd1989 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:08 pm

I know a lot of us are still waiting on a lot of decisions to be made. With that said, what have you all been doing with financial aid stuff? I have only sent in material to the (one) school I have actually received an acceptance from. Should I go head and send the forms to the schools I haven't heard from yet? Thanks!!!!! Sending good thoughts to all those (who like me) are still waiting on a ton of schools!

2012applicant2013

New

Post by 2012applicant2013 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:16 pm

hyakku wrote:Haven't been in this section in a minute, but I checked and saw that some of you have some concerns about your admissions cycle. Here to give some reassurance. I applied last cycle when Law school's were just realizing how down their app counts were. I was set on Michigan, got WLed and around late March / Early April got in, w/ $$ (significant cash). Was also on WL at CLS and NYU (removed myself so I could get my seat deposit at Mich waived, knew I wanted to be here), which, in previous years was supposed to be a death knell. Let me tell you how wrong that was. Somewhere around July / August (I also was in the SEO program, which you all should have applied to) a bunch of people in SEO going to CCNMVPB all started getting into HYS off the WL, and I mean I'm talking at least 15-20 people or so changed IIRC. This meant a lot of people going DCNG started getting into CCNMVPB and could negotiate money. This was in JULY / AUGUST!

Anyway, it's early as shit and I'm a little disjointed now so I'll try to come back and clear this up, but just want to let you guys know that it's standard (especially with apps down) for schools to hold off on URMs to try to gauge what they're going to do, but if you have solid stats that would've gotten you in previous years, chances are with the down cycle (which affects high quality URM applicants even more) you'll not only get in, but can negotiate money. AND DO NOT BE FOOLISH AND NOT NEGOTIATE A SCHOLARSHIP, ONCE YOU'RE IN, THEY AREN'T KICKING YOU OUT FOR ASKING FOR MONEY! I can't stress this enough, I know a friend here who should have money that doesn't because he was too timid.

Also, if you're a splitter, definitely relax. I had something like a 3.25 or 3.3 and a 170 (171? Pretty sure it was a 170 lol) when I applied and I definitely heard later than many people, but I also ended up getting accepted / WLed at places where others got rejected from far earlier. I'll try to clean this up later/ answer any questions / relieve any stress if I can help. Peace all, stay strong.
Did you or anyone you know negotiate for more $$ from HYS?

facile princeps

Bronze

Post by facile princeps » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:35 pm

2012applicant2013 wrote:
hyakku wrote:Haven't been in this section in a minute, but I checked and saw that some of you have some concerns about your admissions cycle. Here to give some reassurance. I applied last cycle when Law school's were just realizing how down their app counts were. I was set on Michigan, got WLed and around late March / Early April got in, w/ $$ (significant cash). Was also on WL at CLS and NYU (removed myself so I could get my seat deposit at Mich waived, knew I wanted to be here), which, in previous years was supposed to be a death knell. Let me tell you how wrong that was. Somewhere around July / August (I also was in the SEO program, which you all should have applied to) a bunch of people in SEO going to CCNMVPB all started getting into HYS off the WL, and I mean I'm talking at least 15-20 people or so changed IIRC. This meant a lot of people going DCNG started getting into CCNMVPB and could negotiate money. This was in JULY / AUGUST!

Anyway, it's early as shit and I'm a little disjointed now so I'll try to come back and clear this up, but just want to let you guys know that it's standard (especially with apps down) for schools to hold off on URMs to try to gauge what they're going to do, but if you have solid stats that would've gotten you in previous years, chances are with the down cycle (which affects high quality URM applicants even more) you'll not only get in, but can negotiate money. AND DO NOT BE FOOLISH AND NOT NEGOTIATE A SCHOLARSHIP, ONCE YOU'RE IN, THEY AREN'T KICKING YOU OUT FOR ASKING FOR MONEY! I can't stress this enough, I know a friend here who should have money that doesn't because he was too timid.

Also, if you're a splitter, definitely relax. I had something like a 3.25 or 3.3 and a 170 (171? Pretty sure it was a 170 lol) when I applied and I definitely heard later than many people, but I also ended up getting accepted / WLed at places where others got rejected from far earlier. I'll try to clean this up later/ answer any questions / relieve any stress if I can help. Peace all, stay strong.
Did you or anyone you know negotiate for more $$ from HYS?
FWIW, Harvard made it clear that they don't negotiate. They only offer need based grants. However, they said that if you have been offered any other purely need based grants that is significantly different from their offer, they would re-evaluate your financial situation to see if they took everything into consideration. I can't speak for Y or S.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:21 pm

GW1010 wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:
Thanks bro - it's weird that we have basically the exact same numbers but are hearing back from the same schools at such different times lol. I'm still jealous of that JS1 though!
Haha yeah, it's crazy how it's been working out. It's just a testament to the arbitrariness of the law schools admissions process! Your JS1 is definitely coming though, man. Aside from a string of holds today and dings last week, there's been very little movement on the Harvard front lately. I think we're all overdue for some action.

jcan91

Bronze

Post by jcan91 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:39 am

Got rejected by Harvard yesterday...consolation though, got accepted to Duke that same day!

dawyzest1

Bronze

Post by dawyzest1 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:24 am

jcan91 wrote:Got rejected by Harvard yesterday...consolation though, got accepted to Duke that same day!
:( sorry, jcan! You had a JS1, right? You'd figure waitlist is the worst case for a URM post-JS1. Not a good sign for the rest of us hoping for Harvard.

In any event, congrats on Duke! I'm hoping really hard for them myself.

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:40 am

jcan91 wrote:Got rejected by Harvard yesterday...consolation though, got accepted to Duke that same day!
Sorry to hear that jcan. I've been rooting for you all cycle.

LSH91

New

Post by LSH91 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:21 pm

Congrats on Duke!!! So sorry to hear about Harvard :(

jcan91

Bronze

Post by jcan91 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:01 pm

txdude45 wrote:
Sorry to hear that jcan. I've been rooting for you all cycle.
Aw thanks :) I really appreciate the support! Dont know why I got straight dibged but mayve God juat has other plans so I cant complain!

wbrother

Bronze

Post by wbrother » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:36 pm

Just got the PR from Duke... Oh well, I've already accepted myself as a Trojan.

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:41 pm

wbrother wrote:Just got the PR from Duke... Oh well, I've already accepted myself as a Trojan.
What I would give to get your scholarship from USC. At this point I don't even know if I am getting money from them :(. But grats on all your acceptances. Your cycle seems to have been pretty successful :). Do you plan on sticking out Dukes PR?

wbrother

Bronze

Post by wbrother » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:52 pm

Dmini7 wrote:
wbrother wrote:Just got the PR from Duke... Oh well, I've already accepted myself as a Trojan.
What I would give to get your scholarship from USC. At this point I don't even know if I am getting money from them :(. But grats on all your acceptances. Your cycle seems to have been pretty successful :). Do you plan on sticking out Dukes PR?
I'm scheduled to visit USC soon. I feel like I'll be able to make a final decision shortly after that. I can't imagine turning down their offer for sticker or close to it at anywhere, so unless something really upsets me during my visit I'll submit my deposit and withdraw from everywhere else.

HankBashir

Silver

Post by HankBashir » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:59 am

wbrother wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:
I'm scheduled to visit USC soon. I feel like I'll be able to make a final decision shortly after that. I can't imagine turning down their offer for sticker or close to it at anywhere, so unless something really upsets me during my visit I'll submit my deposit and withdraw from everywhere else.
Have you heard back from NU yet?

wbrother

Bronze

Post by wbrother » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:11 pm

HankBashir wrote:
wbrother wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:
Have you heard back from NU yet?
I haven't! I sent in a LOCI to update them on things and I received an email from them acknowledging it. But no updates to the status checker since 1/31... They'll fly me out there for free, but they won't even WL me?

HankBashir

Silver

Post by HankBashir » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:13 pm

wbrother wrote:. But no updates to the status checker since 1/31... They'll fly me out there for free, but they won't even WL me?
At least they haven't rejected us yet. It isn't over until it's over.

dukie4

New

Post by dukie4 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:20 pm

Held at Harvard last Friday.Still no word from Duke, NYU, Stanford, UChicago, or my hold from Northwestern. Pretty set on Columbia.

2012applicant2013

New

Post by 2012applicant2013 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:49 pm

Withdrew from NYU and Scholarship interview invite today.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”