Am I a URM?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Successedtobreathe

Am I a URM?

Postby Successedtobreathe » Mon May 14, 2012 1:07 pm

My mothers side of the family is Russian, and my fathers side of the family is Mexican.

I'm adopted so I didn't find this information out until I was 18. Would I be characterized as a URM? or should I not risk checking the URM box (I never have before).

twenty

Re: Am I a URM?

Postby twenty » Mon May 14, 2012 1:20 pm

I don't see why not. Wrong forum, though.

Successedtobreathe

Postby Successedtobreathe » Mon May 14, 2012 1:22 pm

Sorry for posting it in the wrong spot

dowu

Postby dowu » Mon May 14, 2012 4:45 pm

:shock: :shock:
Last edited by dowu on Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:41 pm, edited 9 times in total.

TheProsecutor

Postby TheProsecutor » Mon May 14, 2012 4:46 pm

Do you consider yourself Mexican? If yes, check the box. If no, don't. Why is this complicated?

twenty

Postby twenty » Mon May 14, 2012 5:06 pm

I'm pretty sure he's referring to his biological parents being Russian and Mexican. If so, since he is genetically Mexican, he can claim URM status.

TheProsecutor wrote:Do you consider yourself Mexican? If yes, check the box. If no, don't. Why is this complicated?

This, on the other hand, is rubbish.

dowu

Postby dowu » Mon May 14, 2012 5:10 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:I'm pretty sure he's referring to his biological parents being Russian and Mexican. If so, since he is genetically Mexican, he can claim URM status.

TheProsecutor wrote:Do you consider yourself Mexican? If yes, check the box. If no, don't. Why is this complicated?

Oh yeah, I read that as his adopted parents were the people he described.

Yeah, if your 1/4 mexican, you can check mexican.

TheProsecutor

Postby TheProsecutor » Mon May 14, 2012 5:15 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:I'm pretty sure he's referring to his biological parents being Russian and Mexican. If so, since he is genetically Mexican, he can claim URM status.

No it isn't. We operate on a honor system with race. If someone feels they are a URM, then they check the box. If they feel that they are not, then they shouldn't. It was clear from the OP's post that he is in fact Mexican. Mexicans are in fact URMs. So he should feel free to check the box if he considers himself a mexican. He should not if he doesn't.

dowu

Postby dowu » Mon May 14, 2012 5:18 pm

TheProsecutor wrote:

No it isn't. We operate on a honor system with race. If someone feels they are a URM, then they check the box. If they feel that they are not, then they shouldn't. It was clear from the OP's post that he is in fact Mexican. Mexicans are in fact URMs. So he should feel free to check the box if he considers himself a mexican. He should not if he doesn't.

Tell me exactly how one feels to be a URM? I dont "feel" URM, but I know I am.

It's really not about whether he considers himself a URM, its whether he is a URM or not. This isn't a question about "should", rather, it's about "could". Its a shitty system, but that's the way it works.

twenty

Postby twenty » Mon May 14, 2012 5:25 pm

TheProsecutor wrote:No it isn't. We operate on a honor system with race. If someone feels they are a URM, then they check the box. If they feel that they are not, then they shouldn't. It was clear from the OP's post that he is in fact Mexican. Mexicans are in fact URMs. So he should feel free to check the box if he considers himself a mexican. He should not if he doesn't.

I know you're probably trolling, but since it's obvious you're relatively new on TLS, whatever. Race is not subjective or left up to "whatever you feel like you are." Regardless of which group he identifies with, he can't change his race. Same goes for idiot posters that try and pull, "I listen to rap music, does that make me AA?"

jas1503

Postby jas1503 » Mon May 14, 2012 7:15 pm

TheProsecutor wrote:

I agree with this, 87%!

If you are an URM, then you know you are an URM. Usually, people don't just wake up one day, then say, "Holy ****!, I'm an URM."

In the past, you've filled out numerous forms that have asked you to self-identify, so you know who you are. Mysteriously, there seems to be a large number of people whom suddenly find out (always a little before their law school application, never after it) that they're part-URM.

If you can get away with it, and you're comfortable doing it, then by all means, go ahead and do it. However, you wouldn't be any different from the people you usually condemn for 'taking advantage of the system'. Actually, you would be worse, because the first chance you got to abuse 'the system,' you didn't hesitate to do it.

dowu

Postby dowu » Mon May 14, 2012 7:27 pm

:shock:
Last edited by dowu on Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Mon May 14, 2012 7:32 pm

what would you do if you were Sammy Sosa?

dowu

Postby dowu » Mon May 14, 2012 7:39 pm

:shock: :shock:
Last edited by dowu on Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jas1503

Postby jas1503 » Mon May 14, 2012 7:46 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:Image

lol, uhhh. Check AA!

If I was Sammy Sosa, then I would've been checking the box that said "Hispanic" my entire life.

Why would I check the box that says AA?

There already is a box called "Hispanic" THAT SAYS, "If you're from the Dominican Republic, check this box."

I'm not sure if you're thick, or just trolling.

dowu

Postby dowu » Mon May 14, 2012 7:47 pm

jas1503 wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:Image

lol, uhhh. Check AA!

If I was Sammy Sosa, then I would've been checking the box that said "Hispanic" my entire life.

Why would I check the box that says AA?

There already is a box called "Hispanic" THAT SAYS, "If you're from the Dominican Republic, check this box."

I'm not sure if you're thick, or just trolling.

The latter.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Mon May 14, 2012 7:51 pm

You guys are both trolling I presume...He'd obviously check both Hispanic and AA. Do you think that no Africans existed outside Africa and the USA?

dowu

Postby dowu » Mon May 14, 2012 7:59 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:You guys are both trolling I presume...He'd obviously check both Hispanic and AA. Do you think that no Africans existed outside Africa and the USA?

No dude. Those are the only two places they exist. Look it up.

jas1503

Postby jas1503 » Mon May 14, 2012 8:02 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:You guys are both trolling I presume...He'd obviously check both Hispanic and AA. Do you think that no Africans existed outside Africa and the USA?

There is usually 1 box for that, you don't check 2 boxes.

If you believe that you are a person of European decent, who was born in a Latin-American country, then you check the "Hispanic" box.

If you believe that you are a person of African decent, who was born in a Latin-American country, then you check the "Hispanic" box.

If neither, but you were born in a Latin-American country, then you check the "Hispanic" box.

It doesn't seem that hard...

However, now there are multiple boxes for Latinos whom have trouble identifying also.

Postby 20121109 » Mon May 14, 2012 8:04 pm

jas1503 wrote:

If you believe that you are a person of European decent, who was born in a Latin-American country, then you check the "Hispanic" box.

If you believe that you are a person of African decent, who was born in a Latin-American country, then you check the "Hispanic" box.

If neither, but you were born in a Latin-American country, then you check the "Hispanic" box.

However, now there are multiple boxes for Latinos whom have trouble identifying also.

Ok.

decent = / = descent

Also, URM status is NOT based on where you were born. If you are of African descent and you were born in Latin America, you're African American/black.

jas1503

Postby jas1503 » Mon May 14, 2012 8:10 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
jas1503 wrote:

Ok.

decent = / = descent

Also, URM status is NOT based on where you were born. If you are of African descent and you were born in Latin America, you're African American/black.

You're talking about ideology, I'm taking about procedure.

In Latin-America, you can identify yourself anyway you want to, as in the USA.

If you want to Identify as someone of African decent in Cuba, then you're free to do so in Cuba. Identifying yourself as black in Cuba, doesn't make you more or less Cuban. And, since you're Cuban, for the sake of self-identifying here in America, you check the box that says, "Hispanic".

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Mon May 14, 2012 8:11 pm

jas1503 wrote:

If you're only allowed to check one box, I presume yours looked like this:
--ImageRemoved--

jas1503

Postby jas1503 » Mon May 14, 2012 8:12 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:
jas1503 wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

Sticks + Stones.

You're going to make a great lawyer, mate!

dowu

Postby dowu » Mon May 14, 2012 8:14 pm

jas1503 wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:
jas1503 wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

Sticks + Stones.

You're going to make a great lawyer, mate!

You're not! You don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

Postby 20121109 » Mon May 14, 2012 8:20 pm

jas1503 wrote:
You're talking about ideology, I'm taking about procedure.

In Latin-America, you can identify yourself anyway you want to, as in the USA.

If you want to Identify as someone of African decent in Cuba, then you're free to do so in Cuba. Identifying yourself as black in Cuba, doesn't make you more or less Cuban. And, since you're Cuban, for the sake of self-identifying here in America, you check the box that says, "Hispanic".

No. Just stop with the false information.

This is the absurdity of your logic. "I'm black and I was born and raised in China. Therefore, for the sake of self-identification, I am Chinese."

Your "procedure" is incorrect for the sake of URM admissions. If you are black, you can be born and raised anywhere in this world, and you are still black. If you are Asian, you can be born in South Africa, but it doesn't make you African American; you're still Asian. You just live in Africa. What is so hard to distinguish between geography and genetics? The two are not synonymous.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”