...

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
xxxcarib1234
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 11:57 pm

...

Postby xxxcarib1234 » Fri May 11, 2012 12:11 am

[trolled]
Last edited by xxxcarib1234 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

83947368
Posts: 323
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:16 pm

Re: Lied about race...accepted to t-10. now what?

Postby 83947368 » Fri May 11, 2012 12:15 am

this is staggering. i don't even know if i believe it. i assume you are probably some silly flame. if not may god have mercy on your dumb, dumb soul. what you did (if you really did it) is very selfish (imo) and you could get in a lot of trouble for it (i assume). GL.

woeisme
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Re: Lied about race...accepted to t-10. now what?

Postby woeisme » Fri May 11, 2012 12:17 am

If your mom is black and you're half black I don't see what the problem is. If you're not black, you definitely should clear up any misidentification now so you don't have any character and fitness issues waiting for you down the road.

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: Lied about race...accepted to t-10. now what?

Postby dowu » Fri May 11, 2012 12:18 am

xxxcarib1234 wrote:...



What % "black" are you?

If you have a guilty conscious, chances are high that you knew it was a lie.

Jredelman15
Posts: 274
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:45 pm

Re: Lied about race...accepted to t-10. now what?

Postby Jredelman15 » Fri May 11, 2012 12:19 am

xxxcarib1234 wrote:...



When you applied to undergrad did you identify and have you always identified yourself as those aforementioned races? If so then you should be fine. If not, then you should inform the admission office and tell them and enjoy getting kicked out for lying on an application.

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: Lied about race...accepted to t-10. now what?

Postby blurbz » Fri May 11, 2012 12:21 am

Sounds like you don't actually have any "black" in your background...all south-asian? If so, I think you're screwed.

User avatar
tmon
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: Lied about race...accepted to t-10. now what?

Postby tmon » Fri May 11, 2012 12:21 am

Seems like a grey area to me, where you can actually justify what you've said, but I could easily be wrong. Either way, it's a bit sketchy though, so it might be worth sending a well-written email about your current ambivalence and explain the situation. If they drop you, chances are, you would've had problems with C&F I bet.

nmop_apisdn wrote:If you have a guilty conscious, chances are high that you knew it was a lie.

Disagree. I'm not a URM, but I can imagine feeling at least a little guilty for getting an admissions boost based on my race. Maybe not enough for a post like this or to talk about it, but this is a different situation.
Last edited by tmon on Fri May 11, 2012 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

83947368
Posts: 323
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:16 pm

Re: Lied about race...accepted to t-10. now what?

Postby 83947368 » Fri May 11, 2012 12:21 am

woeisme wrote:If your mom is black and you're half black I don't see what the problem is. If you're not black, you definitely should clear up any misidentification now so you don't have any character and fitness issues waiting for you down the road.


i may have misread but what i understood was that OP was not in any way black. is that true? is OP is half black then this thread is completely pointless and OP should still feel bad.

if you are not black you must tell them and take whatever you have coming.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Lied about race...accepted to t-10. now what?

Postby dresden doll » Fri May 11, 2012 12:22 am

If you have some black blood in you, you didn't lie. People here keep forgetting that adcomms practice the one drop rule.

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Lied about race...accepted to t-10. now what?

Postby emkay625 » Fri May 11, 2012 12:23 am

I'm not sure I understand:

To clarify, you are not black at all (like 0%). Your ancestry is Asian but you have family members who lived in Trinidad? Is this correct?

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Lied about race...accepted to t-10. now what?

Postby emkay625 » Fri May 11, 2012 12:24 am

dresden doll wrote:If you have some black blood in you, you didn't lie. People here keep forgetting that adcomms practice the one drop rule.


It seems like he doesn't have any at all - just Asian ancestors who lived in Trinidad. (But were not black, only Asian).

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Lied about race...accepted to t-10. now what?

Postby 20121109 » Fri May 11, 2012 12:26 am

You are an alt. I know you are because I conversed with you via PM just yesterday.

I am usually very respectful to new posters on TLS, but I think we both know you better get your story straight or I will be forced to ban both of your accounts. I have very little tolerance for URM trolling.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Lied about race...accepted to t-10. now what?

Postby Tom Joad » Fri May 11, 2012 12:27 am

First of all, I would get in touch with the school so you can straighten it all out for better or for worse before you drop $200,000 on a degree and can't pass the bar's C&F portion.



I am just curious what would happen if you just went to school and never talked about it to anybody. It would take a really ballsy school administrator to tell a student they don't look black enough to go to their school. Not that I recommend this route.

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Lied about race...accepted to t-10. now what?

Postby minnbills » Fri May 11, 2012 12:28 am

My aunt did something very similar to this and it wasn't a problem for her.

OP, we need more info to help you out here. But if you truly can't identify as "black" I think you need to come clean to the adcomms. You don't necessarily need to get into touch with them immediately though. They might jump the gun and rescind their offer, so you need to get a handle on the situation before you speak to them.

edit: saw GAIA's post, so not sure if OP is a flame. Regardless, guess it's good to leave advice for lurkers and whatnot

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: Lied about race...accepted to t-10. now what?

Postby blurbz » Fri May 11, 2012 12:28 am

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:You are an alt. I know you are because I conversed with you via PM just yesterday.

I am usually very respectful to new posters on TLS, but I think we both know you better get your story straight or I will be forced to ban both of your accounts. I have very little tolerance for URM trolling.


Does this mean he's totally faking it? Or what?
emkay625 wrote:I'm not sure I understand:

To clarify, you are not black at all (like 0%). Your ancestry is Asian but you have family members who lived in Trinidad? Is this correct?


That's how I read it, too.

User avatar
tmon
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: Lied about race...accepted to t-10. now what?

Postby tmon » Fri May 11, 2012 12:29 am

Tom Joad wrote:First of all, I would get in touch with the school so you can straighten it all out for better or for worse before you drop $200,000 on a degree and can't pass the bar's C&F portion.



I am just curious what would happen if you just went to school and never talked about it to anybody. It would take a really ballsy school administrator to tell a student they don't look black enough to go to their school. Not that I recommend this route.

Similarly, how would this really work for C&F. Admittedly, I know little to nothing about it aside from "don't be an idiot, disclose if you're unsure," but if you had a justifiable reason and it was a weird situation and you stuck to your guns, how would they be able to tell you otherwise? Would they actually ask for proof of race?

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: Lied about race...accepted to t-10. now what?

Postby dowu » Fri May 11, 2012 12:30 am

dresden doll wrote:If you have some black blood in you, you didn't lie. People here keep forgetting that adcomms practice the one drop rule.


I'm not sure if this post is serious. Is one drop really sufficient?

User avatar
hichvichwoh
Posts: 442
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:21 am

Re: Lied about race...accepted to t-10. now what?

Postby hichvichwoh » Fri May 11, 2012 12:31 am

nmop_apisdn wrote:
dresden doll wrote:If you have some black blood in you, you didn't lie. People here keep forgetting that adcomms practice the one drop rule.


I'm not sure if this post is serious. Is one drop really sufficient?


yep. it's pretty sweet for the 1/64th native americans

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Lied about race...accepted to t-10. now what?

Postby emkay625 » Fri May 11, 2012 12:31 am

If it is true, I think your biggest problem will come when you apply to the bar, not from the schools. The bar is going to ask you for a copy of your application, and this seems like a glaring C&F issue.

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Lied about race...accepted to t-10. now what?

Postby minnbills » Fri May 11, 2012 12:31 am

tmon wrote:Similarly, how would this really work for C&F. Admittedly, I know little to nothing about it aside from "don't be an idiot, disclose if you're unsure," but if you had a justifiable reason and it was a weird situation and you stuck to your guns, how would they be able to tell you otherwise? Would they actually ask for proof of race?


My aunt took the bar in NY and never had to prove anything. She got a scholarship to her school for claiming she was Puerto Rican (latino? don't remember what exactly) even though her dad was spanish and only lived there for a few years as a kid. She felt guilty about it but it was never an issue for her.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Lied about race...accepted to t-10. now what?

Postby Br3v » Fri May 11, 2012 12:32 am

Let's not forget that if I understand correctly, OP lied.

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: Lied about race...accepted to t-10. now what?

Postby dowu » Fri May 11, 2012 12:33 am

hichvichwoh wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:
dresden doll wrote:If you have some black blood in you, you didn't lie. People here keep forgetting that adcomms practice the one drop rule.


I'm not sure if this post is serious. Is one drop really sufficient?


yep. it's pretty sweet for the 1/64th native americans


I'm 1/8th black. (great grandpa is black). I did not find this out until two weeks ago, as my family was all at the hospital for my dad, and my grandma told me then.

I still don't believe the one drop rule is TCR. Can anyone verify?

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Lied about race...accepted to t-10. now what?

Postby emkay625 » Fri May 11, 2012 12:33 am

hichvichwoh wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:
dresden doll wrote:If you have some black blood in you, you didn't lie. People here keep forgetting that adcomms practice the one drop rule.


I'm not sure if this post is serious. Is one drop really sufficient?


yep. it's pretty sweet for the 1/64th native americans


1/32 native american here. This "one drop" policy isn't how it works for NAs. You have to still be affiliated with a tribe in some manner or have a relative on the Dawes Rolls.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Lied about race...accepted to t-10. now what?

Postby 20121109 » Fri May 11, 2012 12:33 am

OP's post is ambiguous, so any advice would be somewhat speculative. I won't lock it , but OP should PM me to clarify certain things. All I know, is just yesterday he was not going to apply till next cycle. All of a sudden he's accepted to a t-10?

mmmmmmmmk.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Lied about race...accepted to t-10. now what?

Postby Tom Joad » Fri May 11, 2012 12:34 am

With as much pressure as there is, I am surprised nearly everybody is honest about their race. Some people are definitely hard to tell.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Justtrying2help and 1 guest