Getting Depressed

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Nee4

Getting Depressed

Postby Nee4 » Thu May 03, 2012 2:52 pm

Thanks
Last edited by Nee4 on Thu May 03, 2012 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Harlyn

Re: Getting Depressed

Postby Harlyn » Thu May 03, 2012 2:58 pm

PM'd

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Thu May 03, 2012 2:59 pm

hi, i'm not sure but isn't there a way you can become a lawyer if you have x amount of years as a paralegal and pass the bar? i think (if this is true, and if it isn't, i'm sorry for even bringing it up) this would be a much, much better path than 3 years of competing with people half your age. i'll be honest, i'm 25 and some of these 22 year olds are just quicker than me

Harlyn

Postby Harlyn » Thu May 03, 2012 3:04 pm

Your age alone should not deter you from pursuing law school.

TheZoid

Postby TheZoid » Thu May 03, 2012 3:09 pm

Harlyn wrote:Your age alone should not deter you from pursuing law school.

This is horrible advice. With four kids and at age 40, you're going to go 200k in debt for a school with no job prospects? Just to "be a lawyer." Doesn't sound like a good plan to me at all.

Harlyn

Postby Harlyn » Thu May 03, 2012 3:16 pm

TheZoid wrote:

This is horrible advice. With four kids and at age 40, you're going to go 200k in debt for a school with no job prospects? Just to "be a lawyer." Doesn't sound like a good plan to me at all.

Way to jump to conclusions. Debt is a factor to consider but you're assuming she couldn't get money to go to law school. There are a myriad of factors to consider before going to law school but I wouldn't automatically say an older student shouldn't go to school without knowing more information about their financial situation and career prospects.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Thu May 03, 2012 3:19 pm

Getting depressed about not attaining goals is not healthy. Everyone needs to realize their limits. Rather than a lsat tutor/book I'd recommend a therapist/self-help book. I mean this is the least dick way possible.

Edit: For instance, what I originally dreamed of being was a gladiator on the TV show "American Gladiators". When they announced that Nitro got the job and I didn't even get a return email after submitting my video resume, I took it in stride and just found something else to do.
Last edited by laxbrah420 on Thu May 03, 2012 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TrialLawyer16

Postby TrialLawyer16 » Thu May 03, 2012 3:29 pm

bartleby wrote:hi, i'm not sure but isn't there a way you can become a lawyer if you have x amount of years as a paralegal and pass the bar? i think (if this is true, and if it isn't, i'm sorry for even bringing it up) this would be a much, much better path than 3 years of competing with people half your age. i'll be honest, i'm 25 and some of these 22 year olds are just quicker than me

Lol @ the hyperbole. Come on man.

I'm turning 25 this year and honestly it gives me an edge over the 22 year olds. Anecdote, but almost everyone I know agrees with this sentiment. At 39, however, depending on the amount of other things going on in your life and whether you've kept yourself sharp mentally I could see that possibly being a hindrance. You'll know though if you're honest with yourself, no one else can really answer that for you.

TheZoid

Postby TheZoid » Thu May 03, 2012 3:38 pm

Harlyn wrote:
TheZoid wrote:

Way to jump to conclusions. Debt is a factor to consider but you're assuming she couldn't get money to go to law school. There are a myriad of factors to consider before going to law school but I wouldn't automatically say an older student shouldn't go to school without knowing more information about their financial situation and career prospects.

Forgive me for jumping to conclusions. Yes, I don't know about her financial situation, but as a single mother with four kids and working as a paralegal, I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that it's not great. Also, she's been studying for the LSATs "for years" and has taken a course, and is scoring in the 140s. That's not "get money to go to law school" material if I'm not mistaken. Whatever law school might take her won't be a good one, and the chances of her getting a job making more than a paralegal with the debt factored in is slim to none. So she'd put herself in a worse position, so she could "fulfill her dream and become a lawyer." Doesn't seem smart to me, but what the hell do I know.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Thu May 03, 2012 3:45 pm

Bartleby wrote:i'll be honest, i'm 25 and some of these 22 year olds are just quicker than me

I'll be honest. This is one of the stupidest things I have read on TLS (and not just because of the grammar error). Most of the 30+ crowd at my school is well above median. We have a very large percentage of older students on LR. OP, I think wanting to be a lawyer is a laudable goal, just try not to go into too much debt and make sure you have clear objectives.
Last edited by KMaine on Thu May 03, 2012 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DCDuck

Postby DCDuck » Thu May 03, 2012 3:47 pm

OP should consider attending part-time and continue to work as a paralegal, assuming there are part-time schools in her area. She could probably get in with her numbers, and could minimize debt by continuing to work. Since she is doing this more for self-enrichment, it sounds, than for job prospects, the quality of school is less important so long as she can minimize cost. OP, there are definitely schools that will take you with your numbers, but improving your LSAT score can help minimize the cost of attendance, which is particularly important with a family.

I think it is inspiring that a single mother of 4 is going to follow her dreams. I wish OP and her family the best!
Last edited by DCDuck on Thu May 03, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Thu May 03, 2012 3:50 pm

DCDuck wrote:OP should consider attending part-time and continue to work as a paralegal, assuming there are part-time schools in her area. She could probably get in with her numbers, and could minimize debt by continuing to work. Since she is doing this more for self-enrichment ego, isit sounds, than for job prospects, the quality of school is less important so long as she can minimize cost.

I think it is inspiring alarming that a single mother of 4 is going to follow her dreams. I wish OP and her family the best!

Harlyn

Postby Harlyn » Thu May 03, 2012 4:02 pm

As the other posters stated, if she could minimize her debt by going part-time, it would work to her benefit.

TheZoid wrote:Forgive me for jumping to conclusions. Yes, I don't know about her financial situation, but as a single mother with four kids and working as a paralegal, I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that it's not great. Also, she's been studying for the LSATs "for years" and has taken a course, and is scoring in the 140s. That's not "get money to go to law school" material if I'm not mistaken. Whatever law school might take her won't be a good one, and the chances of her getting a job making more than a paralegal with the debt factored in is slim to none. So she'd put herself in a worse position, so she could "fulfill her dream and become a lawyer." Doesn't seem smart to me, but what the hell do I know.

I studied "for years" had scores in the 140s and got a 151 on an actual LSAT. It wasn't until I dedicated a large portion of my time to studying the LSAT that I was able to see real improvement and I eventually was able to get 168. I know it's unreasonable for me to assume she'll see similar improvements but if she thinks she can improve, I'd recommend giving the LSAT another go.

TrialLawyer16

Postby TrialLawyer16 » Thu May 03, 2012 4:08 pm

KMaine wrote:
bartleby (you have my name here instead) wrote:i'll be honest, i'm 25 and some of these 22 year olds are just quicker than me

I'll be honest. This is one of the stupidest things I have read on TLS (and not just because of the grammar error). Most of the 30+ crowd at my school is well above median. We have a very large percentage of older students on LR. OP, I think wanting to be a lawyer is a laudable goal, just try not to go into too much debt and make sure you have clear objectives.

I agree. Please correct your post as that is not my quote. Something like that would never come out of my mouth (or hands rather) lol

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Thu May 03, 2012 4:17 pm

Done

Harlyn

Postby Harlyn » Thu May 03, 2012 4:32 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:Getting depressed about not attaining goals is not healthy. Everyone needs to realize their limits. Rather than a lsat tutor/book I'd recommend a therapist/self-help book. I mean this is the least dick way possible.

Edit: For instance, what I originally dreamed of being was a gladiator on the TV show "American Gladiators". When they announced that Nitro got the job and I didn't even get a return email after submitting my video resume, I took it in stride and just found something else to do.

Cool story, bro.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Thu May 03, 2012 4:37 pm

lol maybe i am wrong, i don't think a 30 year old can hang with a 23 year old...butttttt i guess it depends on if you are relying on college days cram sessions (which i do), instead of the strict schedule / maturity thing. i probably have the worst of both worlds. and gimme a break i bombed my first of four finals. and what's the grammar error

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Thu May 03, 2012 4:39 pm

bartleby wrote:lol maybe i am wrong, i don't think a 30 year old can hang with a 23 year old...butttttt i guess it depends on if you are relying on college days cram sessions (which i do), instead of the strict schedule / maturity thing. i probably have the worst of both worlds. and gimme a break i bombed my first of four finals. and what's the grammar error

How old are you? That's some pretty dumb shit.

Nee4

Postby Nee4 » Thu May 03, 2012 4:44 pm

K
Last edited by Nee4 on Thu May 03, 2012 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TrialLawyer16

Postby TrialLawyer16 » Thu May 03, 2012 4:48 pm

KMaine wrote:Done

Haha much appreciated

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Thu May 03, 2012 4:50 pm

Nobody actually writes that poorly. Must be a troll

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu May 03, 2012 9:13 pm

Nee4 wrote:TThanks for all those who responded positively...there are so many NEGATIVE REALISTIC ppl in here it is unreal....until you can walk in my shoes or do what i do, you cant even begin to judge me....yes i am proud that i am 39, raising 4 children and going to law school. I am not doing it the way most have done it but its my way...just to set the record straight, you dont know my situation but since you want to know...i have NO debt, i obtained a MS with 4 children while working full time and going to school full time and as far as me not getting job prospects...i work in a prosecutors office and have a GUARANTEED JOB AS AN ATTORNEY IF I GO TO LAW SCHOOL. I also have guaranteed jobs with the public defenders office, sever private attorneys and i cant forget to add with several judges who has offered me jobs upon my completion and MOST of which have written me recommendation letters, therefore, I will be taken care of...so until you have walked in my shoeswant to support me then SHUT UP and if ypu read the post right, I was depressed about MY LSAT Score and NOT MY SITUATION!!!

what the hell were you expecting? A bunch of pats on the back?

Your LSAT PT scores suck. Even with your hook ups, a degree from an institution that would accept your current score is not worth attending, no matter what. Your best bet (assuming 155ish) is to go to a bad school with a scholarship (instead of a good school at sticker).

Nee4 wrote:Basically, do I even have a chance with everything else I come with if I don't do well on the LSAT...I have been scoring in the 140s on practice tests and that is not good.

You asked for opinions and then threw a fit when you got them. A below 151 LSAT is just asking for 100k+ debt from a shitty school. You are 40 with 4 kids. I would suggest investing more into your kids' futures rather than your own.

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Sat May 05, 2012 1:11 am

Are you an AA?

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”