Register for Disability Services, or not?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Fatmir Sejdiu

Register for Disability Services, or not?

Postby Fatmir Sejdiu » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:10 pm

Hi... This is my first time posting on TLS but I browse through the forums often.

Does anyone have any experience receiving testing accommodations in LS? I'm attending school this fall and I'm a bit leery about receiving accommodations as I know there is a stigma that is often attached to getting extra time and what not on the LSAT. I received extra time on exams throughout college but I did not seek accommodations for the LSAT for fear of said stigma. I still did fairly well without the accommodations (I have been accepted to a number of t-14 schools,) but my score did drop considerably (I went from a near perfect score in practice to one in the upper 160s. I know this is not necessarily due to my issues in itself but largely due to nerves. But maybe the nerves were largely triggered by knowing that I could not receive accommodations. I don't know.)

I would be interested to hear about the experiences of those who did receive accommodations and also those who did not receive accommodations but could have and if they felt this hindered their performance at all.

Thanks!

Geist13

Re: Register for Disability Services, or not?

Postby Geist13 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:20 pm

so you did well enough for 98%ish on the LSAT, that is as good or better than 98% of all the test takers, and you think you warant disability accommodations for law school? Get real dude.

Fatmir Sejdiu

Postby Fatmir Sejdiu » Tue May 01, 2012 12:02 pm

Geist13 wrote:so you did well enough for 98%ish on the LSAT, that is as good or better than 98% of all the test takers, and you think you warant disability accommodations for law school? Get real dude.

On test day, I scored lower than in the 98 percentile. More like in the 96th I believe. We all know what a significant difference such a drop means in terms of what law school you can get into. Little nuances do matter. And also, one person's "B" is another person's "F." I probably will not seek the accommodations but I'm just saying. I still perform lower than I could, which I know is higher than the norm anyway so it's hard to justify. If I did get accommodations on the LSAT I can confidently say I would probably be attending Yale or Harvard. Granted, I'm going to an excellent top 10 school, for which I am grateful. But I do under perform on tests and I do have a documented learning disability.

llachans

Postby llachans » Tue May 01, 2012 12:08 pm

[Deleted. misread first post.]
Last edited by llachans on Tue May 01, 2012 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Glock

Postby Glock » Tue May 01, 2012 12:28 pm

Of course you should ask for accommodation if you need it. You don't have to disclose it to anyone. Just ask and keep your face shut about it.

SunshineMagic

Postby SunshineMagic » Tue May 01, 2012 4:08 pm

Don't tell anyone.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Fri May 04, 2012 12:39 am

Glock wrote:Of course you should ask for accommodation if you need it. You don't have to disclose it to anyone. Just ask and keep your face shut about it.

This. Good luck!

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”