Parents are political asylees in the US...Any boost?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
flowerhair789

Parents are political asylees in the US...Any boost?

Postby flowerhair789 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:57 am

.....thanks
Last edited by flowerhair789 on Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

dingbat

Re: Parents are political asylees in the US...Any boost?

Postby dingbat » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:04 pm

marshmallow456 wrote:Hello,

I'm an International-African-getting ready to apply for law school. I came to the US 9 years ago for grad school (MSc. Chemistry/Phd Pharmacology & Toxicology/2 yrs postdoc fellowship). I am primarily interested in Health Law/Patent Law.
My mother had to leave my home country 5 yrs ago for political reasons, and has been granted political asylum in the US. All my siblings were under 21 at the time of filing, so they got derivative asylum status. I was already past 21-am now 28.

Can I in any way use my mom's/country's political situation as a boost in my diversity statement/personal statement? Not being a permanent resident, I would not qualify as URM.

Thanks

You should definitely put it into your personal statement. Certain schools love that kind of shit

flowerhair789

Postby flowerhair789 » Fri May 11, 2012 12:03 am

....thanks
Last edited by flowerhair789 on Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Fri May 11, 2012 8:20 am

marshmallow456 wrote:I wasn't sure whether to create a new thread or just follow up here...so here it goes.
My boyfriend and I had originally planned on getting married next spring. Since my decision to apply to law school a couple of months ago, he has repeatedly brought up the fact that pushing the wedding plans forward would give me URM status (he is American).
I was very firm that I wasn't comfortable making such a move, as I felt commitment to him (indicated by the marital ceremony) shouldn't be "tainted" with the "perk" of becoming a citizen (I am a very independent woman, and have always had to work hard to earn what I have). Rightly or not, while I would like the URM boost, I'm hesitant to obtain it in this manner.
I've had friends counsel me from both sides of the issue (getting married now vs. next spring).

I'm not sure what I'm asking for....thoughts?

I don't know if it's a boost, but I can address the other part of the question.
If you want to get married anyway, then pushing it up to get a perk like that is a good idea.
It's not like you're really altering your life plan in any way.
I know people who got married just before tax day, so they could take advantage of filing jointly.
As long as you're not getting married for the perk, but for other reasons, such an advantage is just a good reason to pick your wedding date at a particular time, nothing more

flowerhair789

Postby flowerhair789 » Fri May 11, 2012 9:06 am

Last edited by flowerhair789 on Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

catwomangirl

Postby catwomangirl » Fri May 11, 2012 9:11 am

I think it would be a tremendous change in terms of your opportunities, both in the levels of schools you would be admitted to and the scholarship money. Those are things, I believe, that are also beneficial to your partnership with your future husband.

If you pushed up the wedding date, it is not tainting it at all.

flowerhair789

Postby flowerhair789 » Fri May 11, 2012 11:39 am

thanks
Last edited by flowerhair789 on Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Fri May 11, 2012 11:58 am

Marrying an American and becoming a citizen is going to benefit you in more ways than just your admission boost. I'm sure you can use your personal history as a PS but you can do that whether or not you are married. I'm not sure why you are so hesitant about getting married now, is there another reason?

flowerhair789

Postby flowerhair789 » Fri May 11, 2012 12:20 pm

thanks
Last edited by flowerhair789 on Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Fri May 11, 2012 12:39 pm

marshmallow456 wrote:I'm afraid of the perception, especially from my future in-laws. They don't know me as well as my BF does.
BF and I have been dating for 10 months, and knew around months 5-6 that we were in for the long haul. I've met his family and he's met mine, and we get along well.
I'm worried about the intentions or motives that FILs may attribute to me. :(. I don't want to start off marital life with a potential cloud hanging over my head.

At this point, I'm pretty much thinking applying now as an international would be a waste of $ and energy. Internationals with perfect/near to perfect LSAT scores get into top schools. I'm planning on taking the June LSAT, and while I'm smart and capable, don't think I can hit 170 with only two months of prep under my belt. I could hit 170+ on a retake in october if I studied for the whole summer. That would definitely improve my chances as an international applicant. However, 170 + married/citizen = more chances for school money...

My two options as I see them now:

1) Get married before applying for this cycle, and get the international hurdle out of the way.
2) Sit out a year. Apply for patent agent positions when my third postdoc year runs out in April 2013. Apply to law school after we get married in spring 2013.

BF is also applying to MBA programs for fall 2013, so we're looking in the same cities. A big disadvantage to option 2 is that I'd be limited to law schools in the area where he is pursuing his MBA, whereas with option 1, we could target the same area in our applications.

Columbia Business school: you could, theoretically, commute to Yale and UPenn, so that's 4 out of 14 covered

flowerhair789

Postby flowerhair789 » Fri May 11, 2012 1:23 pm

Last edited by flowerhair789 on Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Fri May 11, 2012 1:42 pm

marshmallow456 wrote:Columbia isn't on his list, but Penn is. That's a good option. Thanks.

If he gets into Wharton, Columbia, NYU and GULC are within commuting distance
Anyone know if UVA or Dule are within range?

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Fri May 11, 2012 1:42 pm

marshmallow456 wrote:I'm afraid of the perception, especially from my future in-laws. They don't know me as well as my BF does.
BF and I have been dating for 10 months, and knew around months 5-6 that we were in for the long haul. I've met his family and he's met mine, and we get along well.
I'm worried about the intentions or motives that FILs may attribute to me. :(. I don't want to start off marital life with a potential cloud hanging over my head.

At this point, I'm pretty much thinking applying now as an international would be a waste of $ and energy. Internationals with perfect/near to perfect LSAT scores get into top schools. I'm planning on taking the June LSAT, and while I'm smart and capable, don't think I can hit 170 with only two months of prep under my belt. I could hit 170+ on a retake in october if I studied for the whole summer. That would definitely improve my chances as an international applicant. However, 170 + married/citizen = more chances for school money...

1) Get married before applying for this cycle, and get the international hurdle out of the way.
2) Sit out a year. Apply for patent agent positions when my third postdoc year runs out in April 2013. Apply to law school after we get married in spring 2013.

BF is also applying to MBA programs for fall 2013, so we're looking in the same cities. A big disadvantage to option 2 is that I'd be limited to law schools in the area where he is pursuing his MBA, whereas with option 1, we could target the same area in our applications.

Give your in-laws the benefit of the doubt here and do not assume that they are judging you this way. It is a shame that all international people have to feel that they are suspected of using their partner to get citizenship, but that is just the way it is. Don't let that stop you from doing what is best for you. You can tell when people are in love and are committed to each other. I think your future in-laws should be able to tell that their son loves you and that you love him.
If you are concerned about it I guess you could discuss it with them, but I think that would only make it worse. Maybe you can just say that you want to get married sooner. I don't think everyone is familiar with the ins and outs of law school applications. So they probably won't even think about the timing.
[Here is my other unasked for advice: my father died when I was young and he and my mother didn't get that much time together. So I don't believe in waiting - the timing is never going to be perfect to do most things (though that doesn't apply to going to law school when sitting out a year and retaking will give a person a better position. in that case I advocate waiting.) If you are sure he is the partner you want to share your life with, just go for it.]

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Fri May 11, 2012 2:04 pm

sunynp wrote:

Give your in-laws the benefit of the doubt here and do not assume that they are judging you this way. It is a shame that all international people have to feel that they are suspected of using their partner to get citizenship, but that is just the way it is. Don't let that stop you from doing what is best for you. You can tell when people are in love and are committed to each other. I think your future in-laws should be able to tell that their son loves you and that you love him.
If you are concerned about it I guess you could discuss it with them, but I think that would only make it worse. Maybe you can just say that you want to get married sooner. I don't think everyone is familiar with the ins and outs of law school applications. So they probably won't even think about the timing.
[Here is my other unasked for advice: my father died when I was young and he and my mother didn't get that much time together. So I don't believe in waiting - the timing is never going to be perfect to do most things (though that doesn't apply to going to law school when sitting out a year and retaking will give a person a better position. in that case I advocate waiting.) If you are sure he is the partner you want to share your life with, just go for it.]
Someone asked my spouse if we had a green card marriage

flowerhair789

Postby flowerhair789 » Fri May 11, 2012 2:37 pm

Last edited by flowerhair789 on Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Fri May 11, 2012 3:48 pm

marshmallow456 wrote:Dingbat: Oh my! :o Sometimes, people wonder whether a certain marriage is for GC purposes..but actually voicing out those doubts is unbelievably rude!

To be fair, it was asked about our engagement, and we were engaged in under 2 months

flowerhair789

Postby flowerhair789 » Fri May 11, 2012 3:51 pm

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”