Possibly racist professor - What to do?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
spookyt27

Possibly racist professor - What to do?

Postby spookyt27 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:13 pm

Hey everyone,
I'm currently choosing my classes, and one of the classes that perfectly fits my schedule, and requirements - happens to be taught by a professor who is a famous blogger. When looking up this blog, I noticed many posts supporting john derbyshire's "The Talk", Rush Limbaugh's comments, etc. Being black, I would feel extremely uncomfortable taking the class, but I'd be hurting myself by not taking it. Thoughts?

howlery

Re: Possibly racist professor - What to do?

Postby howlery » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:53 pm

If you think it would negatively impact your ability to do well then don't risk it. If not, just keep your head down and get that 'A.' You won't be soliciting a letter of recommendation, right?

I've had to deal with professors who trash Derrida, but I stay strong. NBD.

luthersloan

Postby luthersloan » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:01 pm

If your only concern is getting a bad grade, I would not worry about that because of blind grading. If you are concerned about a hostile class environment, maybe you should not take the class.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:08 pm

Find out from others who have taken the class how outspoken he is about his views in class. I've taken classes with conservative professors before and it's been no big deal because they just taught material and kept their political views to themselves. But I've also had classes with right wing nutjobs who made class completely unbearable (not in law school though).

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:12 pm

spookyt27 wrote:Hey everyone,
I'm currently choosing my classes, and one of the classes that perfectly fits my schedule, and requirements - happens to be taught by a professor who is a famous blogger. When looking up this blog, I noticed many posts supporting john derbyshire's "The Talk", Rush Limbaugh's comments, etc. Being black, I would feel extremely uncomfortable taking the class, but I'd be hurting myself by not taking it. Thoughts?

Well, the only classes that I know of that can hurt you if you don't take them are taught by multiple professors. So if it's true that you HAVE to take it just wait until the following semester when it'll be taught by someone else. But also, I highly doubt that the professor is bringing anything like that into the classroom on a consistent basis; I'm mean he'll probably at least TRY to teach the material (although he'll likely fail because he's a law school professor).

howlery wrote:I've had to deal with professors who trash Derrida

deservedly.

howlery

Postby howlery » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:24 pm

Geist13 wrote:
howlery wrote:I've had to deal with professors who trash Derrida

deservedly.

Younger Abstention

Postby Younger Abstention » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:31 pm

Don't worry, it's ok. This will be the only time in your professional career where you'll encounter a person who doesn't have views just like your own.

Jwb0711

Postby Jwb0711 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:42 pm

Just because someone is conservative and doesn't want the government to take everything they have doesn't mean they are racist.

You should turn the T.V. off every once and awhile.

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:43 pm

You think that being a conservative= racist? You should get out more.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:43 pm

Jwb0711 wrote:Just because someone is conservative and doesn't want the government to take everything they have doesn't mean they are racist.

:roll:

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:44 pm

Jwb0711 wrote:Just because someone is conservative and doesn't want the government to take everything they have doesn't mean they are racist.

Can you read? Here, let me help you:
spookyt27 wrote:I noticed many posts supporting john derbyshire's "The Talk"

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:45 pm

QF not knowing who John Derbyshire is

e:fb

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:47 pm

from wiki, on the talk:

The article, which he couched in terms of purported advice he had given his own children on dealing with African Americans, describes 5% of black people as "ferociously hostile" to whites and a majority of black people as willing to go along with such hostility. He then advises his readers to avoid settling in black neighborhoods, avoid events that draw large numbers of black people, and refrain from helping black people who seem to be in distress.

:shakes head:

spookyt27

Postby spookyt27 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:20 pm

Thanks for the comments and support! I think I'll just sign up for it, and ace that class. Yeah, for those out there who haven't read the article "The Talk", it's quite distressing. And not a joke, as many hoped/thought.

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:31 pm

spookyt27 wrote:Thanks for the comments and support! I think I'll just sign up for it, and ace that class. Yeah, for those out there who haven't read the article "The Talk", it's quite distressing. And not a joke, as many hoped/thought.

Yes, we hadn't read "The Talk", and the quote sounds very bad. But, I see that as all the more reason that you shouldn't equate that with Rush Limbaugh, who is a reasonably mainstream conservative.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:38 pm

ben4847 wrote:
spookyt27 wrote:Thanks for the comments and support! I think I'll just sign up for it, and ace that class. Yeah, for those out there who haven't read the article "The Talk", it's quite distressing. And not a joke, as many hoped/thought.

Yes, we hadn't read "The Talk", and the quote sounds very bad. But, I see that as all the more reason that you shouldn't equate that with Rush Limbaugh, who is a reasonably mainstream conservative.

It's more disturbing that the professor would take Limbaugh seriously. He's an entertainer who says inflammatory things to make money.

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:39 pm

minnbills wrote:
ben4847 wrote:

It's more disturbing that the professor would take Limbaugh seriously. He's an entertainer who says inflammatory things to make money.

That he is.

spookyt27

Postby spookyt27 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:48 pm

Oh don't worry, I don't equate conservative with anything - I only mentioned Rush Limbaugh because the blog defended a particular commentary of his on race, which I would post, but it would out the professor/school/etc...

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:52 pm

If the class is blind graded then who cares?

Unless you are one of those gunners that need to speak every class, it should have zero effect.

RightWingConspiracy

Postby RightWingConspiracy » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:04 pm

I'm not following your logic. Unless of course you provide evidence to support your claim they are racist. For academic purposes, you should want to take a class taught by a professor with a fundamental difference in ideology than you. I love classes taught by liberal professors, all 95% of them.

:D

spookyt27

Postby spookyt27 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:12 pm

RightWingConspiracy wrote:

I'm not following your logic. Unless of course you provide evidence to support your claim they are racist. For academic purposes, you should want to take a class taught by a professor with a fundamental difference in ideology than you. I love classes taught by liberal professors, all 95% of them.

:D

lol, we're definitely not studying in the same state then ;) But thanks everyone, I'm convinced, I'll take the class, and learn from it. And to add a little humour before this thread gets too dark...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9CSnlb-ymA

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:13 pm

Just googled "The Talk"

:shock:

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:20 pm

Mike12188 wrote:Just googled "The Talk"

:shock:

here it is http://takimag.com/article/the_talk_non ... z1rBeqdcIl
I'm reading now.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:22 pm

johansantana21 wrote:If the class is blind graded then who cares?

Unless you are one of those gunners that need to speak every class, it should have zero effect.

i don't think undergrad classes are blind graded

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:23 pm

Don't be too quick to assume that he is racist. Some people just like to stir the pot a bit. My law school is super liberal, and I am naturally contrarian, so I always find myself trying to argue the opposite sides, and convince people that there indeed is a perspective other than the one-sided perspectives we see every day. For example, I am happy to pose an argument for removal of affirmative action or in favor of a case like Citizens United. I don't necessarily agree with the arguments I make, but I feel like its a perspective we never get, as controversial as the arguments may seem to a one-sided school population.

On the issue of race, things get dicey. Its one thing to offer a principled and logical argument against affirmative action, but its sort of hard to, even in the interest of creating debate, to defend that blogger with those disgustingly racist views. Why not speak with other students who have had him? See if he really is just someone who likes to stir the pot by defending the side that most people wouldn't take, or whether holds hateful racist views, because there is a big distinction between the two. Perhaps he is just a conservative professor. That has nothing to do with being racist. And if he is, then it may actually be quite interesting to take a class with a professor who will offer entirely different perspectives. Thats what learning is all about. Its not about being indoctrinated by those with the same views, but being challenged by those with differing views.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”