Is LGBT status considered an URM by most/some schools?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
evan214
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:51 am

Is LGBT status considered an URM by most/some schools?

Postby evan214 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:27 am

Hi everyone,

I've read on several schools' websites that sexual orientation and gender identity is taken into account in the creation of a diverse law class. I was just wondering, on a more practical level, if being an LGBT person gives one any advantage in the application process. One could definitely argue that openly LGBT people are historically under-represented in the legal profession because (a) they're historically under-represented everywhere and (b) really anyone who isn't a heterosexual white male has historically been excluded from the legal profession. Anyways, any thoughts/knowledge/comments/questions/concerns would be appreciated.

Thanks!

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18407
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Is LGBT status considered an URM by most/some schools?

Postby bk1 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:55 am

Nope.

User avatar
DaftAndDirect
Posts: 381
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:28 pm

Re: Is LGBT status considered an URM by most/some schools?

Postby DaftAndDirect » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:00 am

I'd go gay for Harvard.

nsbane
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:35 pm

Re: Is LGBT status considered an URM by most/some schools?

Postby nsbane » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:16 am

DaftAndDirect wrote:I'd go gay for Harvard.


For that TTT? Gunners only go gay for Stanford.

User avatar
1800calturk
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:32 am

Re: Is LGBT status considered an URM by most/some schools?

Postby 1800calturk » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:13 pm

evan214 wrote:Hi everyone,

I've read on several schools' websites that sexual orientation and gender identity is taken into account in the creation of a diverse law class. I was just wondering, on a more practical level, if being an LGBT person gives one any advantage in the application process. One could definitely argue that openly LGBT people are historically under-represented in the legal profession because (a) they're historically under-represented everywhere and (b) really anyone who isn't a heterosexual white male has historically been excluded from the legal profession. Anyways, any thoughts/knowledge/comments/questions/concerns would be appreciated.

Thanks!


It depends, and things can shift over time. Sexual orientation is becoming more and more a statistic in firm diversity, so I imagine law schools will follow suit. The whole diversity initiative is totally inconsistent and not really fair. But it's the best solution we have right now to let minorities break into the good ol' boys club that is most law firms.

User avatar
DaftAndDirect
Posts: 381
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:28 pm

Re: Is LGBT status considered an URM by most/some schools?

Postby DaftAndDirect » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:06 pm

1800calturk wrote:
evan214 wrote:Hi everyone,

I've read on several schools' websites that sexual orientation and gender identity is taken into account in the creation of a diverse law class. I was just wondering, on a more practical level, if being an LGBT person gives one any advantage in the application process. One could definitely argue that openly LGBT people are historically under-represented in the legal profession because (a) they're historically under-represented everywhere and (b) really anyone who isn't a heterosexual white male has historically been excluded from the legal profession. Anyways, any thoughts/knowledge/comments/questions/concerns would be appreciated.

Thanks!


It depends, and things can shift over time. Sexual orientation is becoming more and more a statistic in firm diversity, so I imagine law schools will follow suit. The whole diversity initiative is totally inconsistent and not really fair. But it's the best solution we have right now to let minorities break into the good ol' boys club that is most law firms.


If anything, it'll incentivize those darn bisexual wannabe lawyers to get off the fence.

User avatar
sd5289
Posts: 1624
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:02 pm

Re: Is LGBT status considered an URM by most/some schools?

Postby sd5289 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:11 pm

DaftAndDirect wrote:If anything, it'll incentivize those darn bisexual wannabe lawyers to get off the fence.


:lol:

It doesn't give you URM status but it definitely opens the gate for the school's OUTLaw to track you down during your 0L summer and/or fall orientation.

User avatar
1800calturk
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:32 am

Re: Is LGBT status considered an URM by most/some schools?

Postby 1800calturk » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:54 pm

DaftAndDirect wrote:
1800calturk wrote:
evan214 wrote:Hi everyone,

I've read on several schools' websites that sexual orientation and gender identity is taken into account in the creation of a diverse law class. I was just wondering, on a more practical level, if being an LGBT person gives one any advantage in the application process. One could definitely argue that openly LGBT people are historically under-represented in the legal profession because (a) they're historically under-represented everywhere and (b) really anyone who isn't a heterosexual white male has historically been excluded from the legal profession. Anyways, any thoughts/knowledge/comments/questions/concerns would be appreciated.

Thanks!


It depends, and things can shift over time. Sexual orientation is becoming more and more a statistic in firm diversity, so I imagine law schools will follow suit. The whole diversity initiative is totally inconsistent and not really fair. But it's the best solution we have right now to let minorities break into the good ol' boys club that is most law firms.


If anything, it'll incentivize those darn bisexual wannabe lawyers to get off the fence.


I lol'd.

SunshineMagic
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:53 pm

Re: Is LGBT status considered an URM by most/some schools?

Postby SunshineMagic » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:05 pm

W&L

ShastaNikki
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 6:41 pm

Re: Is LGBT status considered an URM by most/some schools?

Postby ShastaNikki » Tue May 08, 2012 9:37 am

DaftAndDirect wrote:
1800calturk wrote:
evan214 wrote:Hi everyone,

I've read on several schools' websites that sexual orientation and gender identity is taken into account in the creation of a diverse law class. I was just wondering, on a more practical level, if being an LGBT person gives one any advantage in the application process. One could definitely argue that openly LGBT people are historically under-represented in the legal profession because (a) they're historically under-represented everywhere and (b) really anyone who isn't a heterosexual white male has historically been excluded from the legal profession. Anyways, any thoughts/knowledge/comments/questions/concerns would be appreciated.

Thanks!


It depends, and things can shift over time. Sexual orientation is becoming more and more a statistic in firm diversity, so I imagine law schools will follow suit. The whole diversity initiative is totally inconsistent and not really fair. But it's the best solution we have right now to let minorities break into the good ol' boys club that is most law firms.


If anything, it'll incentivize those darn bisexual wannabe lawyers to get off the fence.


^Lol, true. You better believed I clicked bisexual on every app that it would let me! It probably didn't make a difference for admission, but Ohio State gave me a diversity scholarship--I frickin' kid you not. I felt like I had cheated someone else out of it (as a middle-class white girl). I mean, besides bi and a first-generation, there is nothing "diverse" about me! My "diversity" scholarship talked about the intersectionality of my UG major, but that's about it. I'm not going there, though, so I guess it did get freed up for someone more deserving.

Moral of the story: it might not get you an admission boost, but it very well might get you a $ boost!

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Is LGBT status considered an URM by most/some schools?

Postby shntn » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:27 am

I replied to one of those Regent Law spam e-mails once with an "I'm gay." I'll let you know what their reply is. Still waiting.

User avatar
DMBFan
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:44 pm

Re: Is LGBT status considered an URM by most/some schools?

Postby DMBFan » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:11 am

I think it's helpful at the margins. But certainly not to the same degree as a racial URM status. If you can incorporate it into a well written PS, that will boost your application.

One way it does come in play is 1L diversity SA positions and diversity scholarships. You can get these as LGBT.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AJ1010 and 2 guests