URM?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
t14biglawwannabe

URM?

Postby t14biglawwannabe » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:43 am

Hey everyone, I posted this message in a different thread and haven't had any luck with anyone's opinion. If anyone has any knowledge, websites, etc. that could help me answer this question I'd love to hear from you.

From everything I have read in this thread, URM seems to only imply certain racial/ethnic groups. I have talked with various people and looked around on the internet (without much luck) about individuals with physical disabilities/handicaps being included as URM. I don't know for a fact, but I would assume that individuals with physical disabilities are less represented in law schools than they are in the general US population.

My question is; if one were to have a handicap would they be able to check URM (even if white) and include a DS to explain their circumstances and how they would help diversify a law school community?

Thanks

Geetar Man

Re: URM?

Postby Geetar Man » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:53 am

t14biglawwannabe wrote:Hey everyone, I posted this message in a different thread and haven't had any luck with anyone's opinion. If anyone has any knowledge, websites, etc. that could help me answer this question I'd love to hear from you.

From everything I have read in this thread, URM seems to only imply certain racial/ethnic groups. I have talked with various people and looked around on the internet (without much luck) about individuals with physical disabilities/handicaps being included as URM. I don't know for a fact, but I would assume that individuals with physical disabilities are less represented in law schools than they are in the general US population.

My question is; if one were to have a handicap would they be able to check URM (even if white) and include a DS to explain their circumstances and how they would help diversify a law school community?

Thanks

No. You could include a diversity statement about it, but it would not be sufficient to check off URM.

t14biglawwannabe

Postby t14biglawwannabe » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:59 am

Geetar Man wrote:
t14biglawwannabe wrote:Hey everyone, I posted this message in a different thread and haven't had any luck with anyone's opinion. If anyone has any knowledge, websites, etc. that could help me answer this question I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks

No. You could include a diversity statement about it, but it would not be sufficient to check off URM.

How much would a DS even help if you aren't considered a URM? Also, thanks for the response

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:00 am

Geetar Man wrote:

Thanks

There is no such thing as "check off URM". Just ethnicity questions on the app.

Ga0-3L

Postby Ga0-3L » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:21 am

Thanks

There is no box for URM and URM is reserved for underrepresented minority students - students of race/color/ethnicity that is underrepresented in law schools compared to their representation in the country.

Being disabled is a completely different thing. Now you are talking about diversity which is different than being URM. You would write about this in an optional (sometimes not) diversity statement. Or in your personal statement.

A diversity statement certainly can help if your life situation has caused you to be significantly more diverse, for lack of a better word, than your average law student applicant. I tend to think of socio-economic diversity but it could certainly be extended to diversity of any situation - be it a truly different type of upbringing/life/situation, etc.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”