Parents in Law School

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
WhiteyCakes

Parents in Law School

Postby WhiteyCakes » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:56 am

Got a question for everybody:

I am a 3.73/172 law 2016 hopeful. I know that many school communities have support programs for parents attending law school, but is there any value to discussing parenthood in my personal statement, optional essay, or in an addendum?

catwomangirl

Re: Parents in Law School

Postby catwomangirl » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:45 am

(Full disclosure, I honestly have no idea)

But if in addition it could up your diversity factor, and you tie it into the law, that could be neat. Like even writing an overall thing about child advocacy ( a serious topic) but tempering the tone with a cute, brief anecdote about your kid(s).

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:50 am

If you are asking whether it will help you gain admission, the answer is likely "no." If it is the most interesting thing you have to write about in your personal statement, then go for it, just make it good. I mentioned having children in my diversity statement. I think it was a valuable part of my admissions packet, but didn't necessarily put me over the edge anywhere.

TheGreatWhiteHorse

Postby TheGreatWhiteHorse » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:09 am

I think it can be very helpful. I wrote about it. I basically said: If I can be a parent, I can handle law school. Real-life experience like that is a great indicator of what you know and what you can handle. When you get into 1L and mingle a bit with the kids in your section...you'll see why.

Fair warning, though: being a parent and a law student is very tough. You have to ask yourself if sacrificing time with your kids for law school is worth it. Even though you're doing it in the interest of their future. They are only this age once. We only get one chance to raise them.

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:19 am

Is there something particularly challenging about your particular situation being a parent? There are more parents in law school than you probably think.
If you're a married parent, who is still part of a couple, and/or if you aren't the children's primary daily caregiver, I can't imagine it would be much help to you, though as someone mentioned it could be a small diversity factor. If there's some challenge factor you've overcome that most parents don't have to, then by all means put it in. I did.

Postby 2014 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:22 am

There really is nothing out of bounds for a PS parenting included. If it is something you can write about passionately and in a way that puts forth a different (positive) view that the rest of your application doesn't, by all means go for it.

ksmommy

Postby ksmommy » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:03 am

I definitely would. I wrote my personal statement about how my kid made me change my goals temporarily. I had her when I was a senior then went and got a masters in education instead of going straight to law school. Teach special education and now instead of corporate law I was to be an advocate for people with disabilities. But then I'm also a single mother/sole financial provider for my child as well as an URM so... But, I was able to get all types of diversity grants off of that. Though there are parents in law school it is still a factor that makes you different from the average law school student.

Oklahoma2014

Postby Oklahoma2014 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:55 pm

My ps was largely centered around getting married as a teenager. My wife was actually still in HS and had our first son between her junior and senior year (pile on the Oklahoma jokes). Then over coming those challenges to the point that my wife and I were each the first in our families to graduate from college. We have now been married almost 18 years.

Can't say that it helped me get in at any school that I should not have, as my numbers were already above median at the only 4 schools I applied. However, I don't think it hurt any and it was something that was easy for me to write about. The ps definately scored some brownie points with my wife though!

If you have a good story, tell it.

walkersDAD

Postby walkersDAD » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:19 pm

I did not put that I was married or had a child on the way in my PS. People will try and tell you being a parent or being married will hinder your law school career, but in my opinion that is the farthest thing from the truth. My son was born the second week of law school. First semester I got a 3.87 and 3 CALI awards. Being married and a father has made me a better student. I do know admissions like to see real people and not just numbers when looking at an app but your PS has a very small chance of getting you in or out of a law school. I have found having a small child and being in law school has brought me respect from my professors and classmates, but is always a concern when it comes up in an interview. I know its "illegal" for employers to ask those type of questions but they always do.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:14 pm

I agree with KMaine and others in that being a parent won't help you gain admission, but it's a valuable part of your overall package. Real life experiences, etc. For my part, I used a brief story about a book my kids love as a jumping-off point for my DS, showing how my family/work/desire for LS were tied together.
Best of luck to you!

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”