That one gay thread...

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
senhorquick
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:07 pm

That one gay thread...

Postby senhorquick » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:24 am

Well, being gay in undergrad has been a pretty big flop. Thought it was gonna be better than highschool. Turns out that "It gets better" still means boredom, celibacy, and general mediocrity here in the American Heartland. However, I have not given up hope for law school.

What I want to know is pretty broad, but what is your experience like as a GLBTQ person in law school?

Do you feel included? Is your school pretty heteronormative and awkward like my undergrad? Are there a lot of queer folks where you go? Do they hang out in a separate clique (or as we call it here, a "glique")?
How is dating? If it is rough are you at least getting laid? Are there cute gay boys (girls, et. al) at your school?
Are there clubs to go to, bars to drink at, and other entertainment options?
Is being gay good for your career/networking at your school? Just speak to your experience please. Also, I dk if this is the right place to put this thread so if I am being dumb and putting threads in the wrong place again, feel free to move it mods.

lobolawyer
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: That one gay thread...

Postby lobolawyer » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:32 am

senhorquick wrote:Well, being gay in undergrad has been a pretty big flop. Thought it was gonna be better than highschool. Turns out that "It gets better" still means boredom, celibacy, and general mediocrity here in the American Heartland. However, I have not given up hope for law school.

What I want to know is pretty broad, but what is your experience like as a GLBTQ person in law school?

Do you feel included? Is your school pretty heteronormative and awkward like my undergrad? Are there a lot of queer folks where you go? Do they hang out in a separate clique (or as we call it here, a "glique")?
How is dating? If it is rough are you at least getting laid? Are there cute gay boys (girls, et. al) at your school?
Are there clubs to go to, bars to drink at, and other entertainment options?
Is being gay good for your career/networking at your school? Just speak to your experience please. Also, I dk if this is the right place to put this thread so if I am being dumb and putting threads in the wrong place again, feel free to move it mods.



NM (the state) is definitely queer friendly, the law school even more so. No gliques here. The school/profs. are pretty liberal and even our small (but substantial) mormon population is welcoming to everyone. It's a very collegial environment and our LAMDA org is one of the largest student orgs. I really can't speak on other schools, but I know of a couple of transfer students who came to NM for the clubs/ent. options and the reputation that our school has.

senhorquick
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:07 pm

Re: That one gay thread...

Postby senhorquick » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:51 pm

Haha...

Don't everyone answer at once!

SunshineMagic
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:53 pm

Re: That one gay thread...

Postby SunshineMagic » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:50 pm

0L here, move to a big city on east or west coast... You will thank me when all the gays you meet don't still think abercrombie is cool....

senhorquick
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:07 pm

Re: That one gay thread...

Postby senhorquick » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:28 pm

SunshineMagic wrote:0L here, move to a big city on east or west coast... You will thank me when all the gays you meet don't still think abercrombie is cool....


Amen Sister!

I know that UCLA/NYU/Berk/Columbia/Georgetown are obviously good for gays.

What I was hoping is that someone from say... Duke, Penn (I was told last night that nobody is nice or cute at Penn), Michigan, etc. would weigh in..?

User avatar
clarion
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:53 pm

Re: That one gay thread...

Postby clarion » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:44 pm

senhorquick wrote:
SunshineMagic wrote:0L here, move to a big city on east or west coast... You will thank me when all the gays you meet don't still think abercrombie is cool....


Amen Sister!

I know that UCLA/NYU/Berk/Columbia/Georgetown are obviously good for gays.

What I was hoping is that someone from say... Duke, Penn (I was told last night that nobody is nice or cute at Penn), Michigan, etc. would weigh in..?


If you haven't already, I would advise you to head over to the LGBT thread or even one of the school specific threads on "Choosing a Law School" on here and research/ask about those schools. I asked about GULC on the LGBT thread a couple weeks ago (as it wasn't obvious to me lol) and got a pretty fast response :)

chasgoose
Posts: 715
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: That one gay thread...

Postby chasgoose » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:03 pm

The NYU gay scene is pretty good. OUTLaw is relatively large compared to other schools and welcoming to all kinds. Furthermore, NYU is about as far from heteronormative (or any other normative) as you can get in law school. Also, you are in NYC so you have plenty of outside of school options. Furthermore, being gay at NYU and CLS means you will be wined and dined by all the major big law firms (in addition to the numerous 1L receptions for the general NYU student population). The LGBT receptions are nice because usually they are a lot smaller and often include a full sit-down dinner, but also you get a lot more one-on-one time with associates and partners, who remember you afterwards (as opposed to the free-for-all of gunners swarming anyone who looks over 35 and the normal sessions).

sandlot
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: That one gay thread...

Postby sandlot » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:20 pm

Stick to major cities in general - you don't need to be east/west coast as suggested above. I grew up in Dallas, went to undergrad at UT-Austin, and I've never had any of the problems you described above. Gays flock to urban lifestyles. This might offend some people, but I think voting trends are very telling - the more Democratic a city votes - the more likely it is to be a good environment for gays. (exclude small town dixiecrats) Being gay in Austin has definitely been an advantage for me and has opened up a lot of opportunities in local politics.

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: That one gay thread...

Postby minnbills » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:22 pm

Well I'm not LGBT but I will say:
boredom, celibacy, and general mediocrity here in the American Heartland.


straight people aren't exactly escaping this either.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests