Question about Native American summer institute Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
theduffman

Bronze

Question about Native American summer institute

Post by theduffman » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:21 pm

I just received an invitation to attend a Native American pre-law summer institute in Albuquerque. Has anyone else received this/does anyone know anything about this? I thought maybe it was a bit of a scam, but they don't charge anything and they say LSAC will subsidize travel if your tribe can't help (which is nice to know because my tribe definitely wouldn't be able to), so I'm starting to think it looks like a pretty legit opportunity to network.

northwestgirl

New

Re: Question about Native American summer institute

Post by northwestgirl » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:02 am

It's not a scam. I'm pretty sure every Native gets the invitation to apply.

What's your target school range? While it's probably more "helpful" if you're not in a school and you're looking at UNM or a similarly ranked school - a lot of people go through even if they are planning on going to a T14. As you know, the Native legal community is terribly small - you're right to think of it as a great networking community. It's worth it for that reason alone. You'll be surprised by how many Native lawyers you will meet/have met that have gone through this program.

Here's an interview from this year:
http://www.abanow.org/2012/02/pre-law-b ... g-program/

Contact the NALSA for the school you're considering: chances are they have a member who had gone through PLSI and can talk to you more about it and how the experience transfers to that school's program

theduffman

Bronze

Post by theduffman » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:25 am

northwestgirl wrote:It's not a scam. I'm pretty sure every Native gets the invitation to apply.

What's your target school range? While it's probably more "helpful" if you're not in a school and you're looking at UNM or a similarly ranked school - a lot of people go through even if they are planning on going to a T14. As you know, the Native legal community is terribly small - you're right to think of it as a great networking community. It's worth it for that reason alone. You'll be surprised by how many Native lawyers you will meet/have met that have gone through this program.

Here's an interview from this year:
http://www.abanow.org/2012/02/pre-law-b ... g-program/

Contact the NALSA for the school you're considering: chances are they have a member who had gone through PLSI and can talk to you more about it and how the experience transfers to that school's program
Thank you very much! I am strongly considering it. I'm deciding between LSU and UVA at the moment if that helps.

Trips

New

Post by Trips » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:28 am

Definitely not a scam. A family member of mine went and she said it was extremely helpful. Its basically like a mock first semester of law school.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:32 am

Not a scam.

theduffman

Bronze

Post by theduffman » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:39 pm

I figured it wasn't a scam considering it didn't cost any money, I was just wondering how valuable people thought it was.

Trips

New

Post by Trips » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:09 pm

theduffman wrote:I figured it wasn't a scam considering it didn't cost any money, I was just wondering how valuable people thought it was.
Well from what I've heard its very helpful. basically like a mock run of your first semester in law school. Complete with graded exams and all (that dont count towards anything, just show you how you did). Again, the family member of mine that went said it gave her a leg up in her first year at law school.

llama11

New

Post by llama11 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:34 pm

It's a legit program. Best thing are the people you meet. Even though I didn't go to LS, I still keep in contact with a lot of people.

ghostofdreams

New

Post by ghostofdreams » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:26 pm

This is my first post in TLS, and I figure what a better way to break the ice than to ask about this summer program: is it still around? The UNM website no longer has any info about it. If it is, could someone talk about their experience? Thanks!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”