Should I Have Applied for Citizenship?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
LawBound86

Should I Have Applied for Citizenship?

Postby LawBound86 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:21 am

Hey guys,

While this may be an odd question I'm not sure if I made the right move. I am a Brazilian citizen with a green card, and am now unsure about how law schools look upon that. I have already been accepted into several schools but as some schools are taking longer than I expected to reply I am beginning to wonder if I made a mistake in prolonging my application for citizenship?

I understand that being Brazilian probably gives me a boost, but does the non-citizenship help me or hurt me?

While I've been admitted into Tier 1 schools, I have not heard back from my top choice, hence my new found paranoia lol. Any feedback would be great guys, even if its just guesses.

dresden doll

Re: Should I Have Applied for Citizenship?

Postby dresden doll » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:40 am

It doesn't matter. Trust me.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:50 am

Unlikely that your citzenship status is a factor for law school admissions unless applying to a public state law school with strict non-resident limits (e.g., LSU & Texas).

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:53 am

don't worry about it.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:59 am

It doesn't matter at all for purposes of admission. Some schools (like Texas) want a copy of your green card, but that's about it.

The only time it could come into play is if you want to clerk, because the law on whether or not non-citizen judicial clerks can get paid is unclear, to say the least.

LawBound86

Postby LawBound86 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:41 pm

Thank you for your replies. That makes me feel less worried. I guess I'll continue to wait and hope for the best, that's what I get for applying so late.

splbagel

Postby splbagel » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:27 pm

Another thought - you might want to go ahead and natz anyway, just because it will make your life easier in a number of ways. For example, even if you live your life by the letter of the law, you never know when you'll get pulled over for speeding, and it turns out your friend is carrying enough weed that you get stuck with possession with intent to distribute (deportation is extremely likely if you have a felony drug conviction). Or if you want to go back to Brazil for a year or work abroad for whatever reason, you don't have to worry about abandoning your green card. If you're considering sponsoring anyone else for LPR status (spouse, family, etc), it will go much faster if you're a citizen yourself than an LPR. Plus, you'll never have to worry that the US government will assassinate you while you're abroad... oh wait... strike that one now.

[I'm not an immigration lawyer, so you should discuss these issues further with a qualified immigration attorney]

pearla

Postby pearla » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:27 am

[quote="Plus, you'll never have to worry that the US government will assassinate you while you're abroad... oh wait... strike that one now.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Joke of the day

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”