Harvard not diverse...?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Curious1

Re: Harvard not diverse...?

Postby Curious1 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:13 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:OP, please stop reporting posts just because people legitimately challenge and disagree with you. Such behavior does not constitute trolling.

In re to your actual post, HLS has a good amount of Asians and routinely enrolls the largest amount of AAs in the T14, next to maybe Georgetown. I'm sorry you missed all of us. But I agree with englawyer, who said that HLS is really lacking Hispanics.

Omg so butthurt.

Postby 20121109 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:13 pm

Curious1 wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:OP, please stop reporting posts just because people legitimately challenge and disagree with you. Such behavior does not constitute trolling.

In re to your actual post, HLS has a good amount of Asians and routinely enrolls the largest amount of AAs in the T14, next to maybe Georgetown. I'm sorry you missed all of us. But I agree with englawyer, who said that HLS is really lacking Hispanics.

Omg so butthurt.

Me or OP? lol

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:15 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
Curious1 wrote:

Omg so butthurt.

Me or OP? lol

OP :P I would never dare say that about you!

Postby 062914123 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:26 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 20121109 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:27 pm

bee wrote:

holy fuck he actually reported people over this thread?!
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Afraid so.

howlery

Postby howlery » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:10 pm

Are adcomms cognizant of the lack of Hispanics or is that something students tend to notice? I'm wondering if the PR boost, for instance, is more substantial at H than some other T14s.

Postby 20121109 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:26 pm

howlery wrote:

Are adcomms cognizant of the lack of Hispanics or is that something students tend to notice? I'm wondering if the PR boost, for instance, is more substantial at H than some other T14s.

It's a good question and quite frankly, I don't know. Students definitely notice. In my section, there were only two Hispanics but around 10 black students...and I think H brings in maybe 60-70 black students a year. The Hispanic boost throughout LS admissions, however, is much less compared to the AA or NA boost. And given the lack of Hispanics at Harvard, I have no reason to think that the PR boost is more substantial here than anywhere else.

PMan99

Postby PMan99 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:44 pm

howlery wrote:

It's a good question and quite frankly, I don't know. Students definitely notice. In my section, there were only two Hispanics but around 10 black students...and I think H brings in maybe 60-70 black students a year. The Hispanic boost throughout LS admissions, however, is much less compared to the AA or NA boost. And given the lack of Hispanics at Harvard, I have no reason to think that the PR boost is more substantial here than anywhere else.

I'm not sure what the exact breakdown is, but I don't really know if there's that much of a lack of Hispanics at H compared to other schools. Just that Hispanics here tend to be disproportionately (read: almost entirely) White Hispanics so we don't visually stick out from the crowd. And someone with an Argentinian mom and European dad would be almost entirely impossible to distinguish unless they divulged the information to you personally.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:47 pm

A great many hispanics you would never know are Hispanic, as some people mentioned. My family comes from Argentina, but my great grandparents all come from Poland, so we are all white as hell. I was hanging out with some fellow students and found out another white kid is part Cuban and speaks fluent spanish. One of my friends is from northern Spain, and while he has somewhat of an accent, you can't tell by looking at him that he isn't your average everyday white guy.

Postby 20121109 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:58 pm

PMan99 wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:It's a good question and quite frankly, I don't know. Students definitely notice. In my section, there were only two Hispanics but around 10 black students...and I think H brings in maybe 60-70 black students a year. The Hispanic boost throughout LS admissions, however, is much less compared to the AA or NA boost. And given the lack of Hispanics at Harvard, I have no reason to think that the PR boost is more substantial here than anywhere else.

I'm not sure what the exact breakdown is, but I don't really know if there's that much of a lack of Hispanics at H compared to other schools. Just that Hispanics here tend to be disproportionately (read: almost entirely) White Hispanics so we don't visually stick out from the crowd. And someone with an Argentinian mom and European dad would be almost entirely impossible to distinguish unless they divulged the information to you personally.

I also think that the prevalence of affinity groups on campus is a pretty good indicator of adequate representation. Although there is a great presence of other races ( for example, our BLSA chapter is the largest in the US), there is not a comparably huge affinity group for Hispanics. Now of course, this doesn't necessarily mean there are fewer Hispanics; maybe the affinity group is just generally inactive compared to other groups and they 'slip through the cracks' because, as you said, it can be impossible to distinguish between White and White Hispanic. But I can only speak to H. I'm not routinely exposed to the student body of other institutions...but if there really is a lack of Hispanics at H, H should probably not be considered an anomaly.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:35 pm

PMan99 wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:It's a good question and quite frankly, I don't know. Students definitely notice. In my section, there were only two Hispanics but around 10 black students...and I think H brings in maybe 60-70 black students a year. The Hispanic boost throughout LS admissions, however, is much less compared to the AA or NA boost. And given the lack of Hispanics at Harvard, I have no reason to think that the PR boost is more substantial here than anywhere else.

I also think that the prevalence of affinity groups on campus is a pretty good indicator of adequate representation. Although there is a great presence of other races ( for example, our BLSA chapter is the largest in the US), there is not a comparably huge affinity group for Hispanics. Now of course, this doesn't necessarily mean there are fewer Hispanics; maybe the affinity group is just generally inactive compared to other groups and they 'slip through the cracks' because, as you said, it can be impossible to distinguish between White and White Hispanic. But I can only speak to H. I'm not routinely exposed to the student body of other institutions...but if there really is a lack of Hispanics at H, H should probably not be considered an anomaly.

Would it be wrong to go to Howard and start a White Law Student Association?

sharktankdean

Postby sharktankdean » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:47 pm

dingbat wrote:
PMan99 wrote:

Would it be wrong to go to Howard and start a White Law Student Association?

honestly...i don't think you would be stopped from creating one but what would be its purpose?

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:49 pm

Omberon wrote:So, I just finished sitting in on some classes at Harvard Law, and man I must say, Harvard really disappointing me with its diversity. Absolutely NO Diversity.

Yeah, I wouldn't go there. You won't be getting a full, well-rounded, legal education if there isn't diversity in the classroom. I bet Harvard suffers in the cooley rankings because of that.

(Also, this charge is not true. Harvard is just as diverse as any other law school.)

Postby 20121109 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:51 pm

dingbat wrote:Would it be wrong to go to Howard and start a White Law Student Association?

lulz. Do whatever you want, brah :)

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:55 pm

bee wrote:
Omberon wrote:I have not even taken to the LSAT, if you check my profile I have two posts one with LSAT of 170 and one with an LSAT of 165. It was all theoretical. However, its cool you just believe what other post without looking at the posts yourself...

OH GOD you started THIS thread.

Also that's funny, because you never mentioned it all being theoretical in that thread either. A thread in the What Are My Chances forum. In addition, maybe I just wasn't scouring your post history closely enough, but how the fuck are we supposed to know from your random 2 threads that you hadn't taken the LSAT? What if you had been a retaker?

lol i remember that thread.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:57 pm

dingbat wrote:Would it be wrong to go to Howard and start a White Law Student Association?

This poast blabs so much stupid that I don't even know where to start a response.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”