URMs at Harvard this cycle

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
boosk

URMs at Harvard this cycle

Postby boosk » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:58 pm

There have only been 7 URM admits so far on LSN - one of which is obviously fake, and two others that are questionable. Has anyone else noticed this? When do we think URMs will get some more movement? (presumably most of us have been held, right?)

thelawschoolproject

Re: URM's at Harvard this cycle

Postby thelawschoolproject » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:12 pm

I'm thinking March.

I'm also held, which was a pretty big shock considering my numbers, was expecting a straight ding.

operagrl71

Postby operagrl71 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:21 pm

Two are definitely fake. My theory is either that they've held all URMs below 25th percentile to review collectively once they've secured their medians; or alternately that there are disproportionately few URMS using TLS/LSN this year and there have been considerably more offers admission than are reflected on either site.

My personal hope of is for the former of course :)...and I'd agree that it will probably be March.

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:23 pm

Yeah I think that the URMs who are held are some form of splitter...and they're going to compare us all and see which ones of us will best help their medians.

Or maybe this is what I tell myself as I cling to my GPA life raft.

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:48 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:I'm thinking March.

I'm also held, which was a pretty big shock considering my numbers, was expecting a straight ding.

Why are you expecting a straight ding? Harvard is a realistic possibility with your numbers being a URM

http://harvard.lawschoolnumbers.com/app ... ,8&type=jd

MyLegendLives

Postby MyLegendLives » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:55 pm

operagrl71 wrote:Two are definitely fake. My theory is either that they've held all URMs below 25th percentile to review collectively once they've secured their medians; or alternately that there are disproportionately few URMS using TLS/LSN this year and there have been considerably more offers admission than are reflected on either site.

My personal hope of is for the former of course :)...and I'd agree that it will probably be March.

Well I doubt the first theory. As I've been admitted and I'm below the 25th. I also have friends both URM and non-URM with lower numbers who have been admitted or have had a KB1. I think that there just aren't that many URMs on TLS/LSN this cycle. I've followed the YLS cycle and when I last checked only 2 credible URM profiles had been admitted.

Re: URMs at Harvard this cycle

Postby 1212 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:06 pm

I'm hoping the held folks will start hearing back in March instead of April, especially for purposes concerning SEO.

More broadly speaking, I think the k-JDs across the board are having a rough go of it this cycle. When I was in Boston at HBS, the admissions counselor mentioned that HLS was pushing to create a class with more work experience. I think this along with the drop in test takers/applications has made HLS a little hold-happy this cycle in their effort to create the class they want.

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:12 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
thelawschoolproject wrote:I'm thinking March.

Why are you expecting a straight ding? Harvard is a realistic possibility with your numbers being a URM

http://harvard.lawschoolnumbers.com/app ... ,8&type=jd

Meh. I don't get my hopes up.

PMan99

Postby PMan99 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:13 pm

Last edited by PMan99 on Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

operagrl71

Postby operagrl71 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:33 pm

MyLegendLives wrote:
operagrl71 wrote:Two are definitely fake. My theory is either that they've held all URMs below 25th percentile to review collectively once they've secured their medians; or alternately that there are disproportionately few URMS using TLS/LSN this year and there have been considerably more offers admission than are reflected on either site.

Well I doubt the first theory. As I've been admitted and I'm below the 25th. I also have friends both URM and non-URM with lower numbers who have been admitted or have had a KB1. I think that there just aren't that many URMs on TLS/LSN this cycle. I've followed the YLS cycle and when I last checked only 2 credible URM profiles had been admitted.

Well that's certainly discouraging, although I'd say you're close enough to the 25th to be looked at differently than those of us who are distinctly below on both...if you don't mind my asking, how many friends are we talking here?

clarion

Postby clarion » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:03 pm

operagrl71 wrote:
MyLegendLives wrote:

Well that's certainly discouraging, although I'd say you're close enough to the 25th to be looked at differently than those of us who are distinctly below on both...if you don't mind my asking, how many friends are we talking here?

Agreed. I think there's a difference between being at a 170 (which would put you below the 25th of 171) and being at a 160. Personally I'm not holding out much hope at this point considering my cycle so far, but seeing as how I've been held I might as well get on board with being optimistic. *shrug

As far as your mention of Yale is concerned however, that hardly strikes me as being indicative of there being fewer URMs on TLS this cycle. If you look at last cycle, only 3 legitimate URM profiles showed getting in AT ALL which makes two this year right on target.

So basically, operagirl's claim about them holding ALL below the 25th percentile might be flawed, but I think the idea that MOST below that 25th percentile are, in fact, being held seems pretty believable.

operagrl71

Postby operagrl71 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:50 pm

clarion wrote:
operagrl71 wrote:
MyLegendLives wrote:

Agreed. I think there's a difference between being at a 170 (which would put you below the 25th of 171) and being at a 160. Personally I'm not holding out much hope at this point considering my cycle so far, but seeing as how I've been held I might as well get on board with being optimistic. *shrug

As far as your mention of Yale is concerned however, that hardly strikes me as being indicative of there being fewer URMs on TLS this cycle. If you look at last cycle, only 3 legitimate URM profiles showed getting in AT ALL which makes two this year right on target.

So basically, operagirl's claim about them holding ALL below the 25th percentile might be flawed, but I think the idea that MOST below that 25th percentile are, in fact, being held seems pretty believable.

+1 on the all of the above. And just to clarify my use of the word all wasn't intended to be an absolute...simply to express the fact that the majority of the held URMs seem to be below both 25ths, and quite a few points below on at least one if not both.

MyLegendLives

Postby MyLegendLives » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:11 pm

clarion wrote:
operagrl71 wrote:
MyLegendLives wrote:

I definitely feel that many URM admits will becoming in the next few weeks, which is par for the course at HLS. In addition to my comments about URM Yale results, I'm basing my belief on the lower number of URMs on TLS on the fact that the URM 2011-12 applicants thread has half as many posts as the 2010-2011 thread had last year at this point in the cycle. Now yes that doesn't necessarily point to a lower number of URM TLSers, it is possible that there are the same number of people but just fewer posts, but my gut tells me that a huge gap like that has to do at least in part to a not insignificant drop in URM TLSers this cycle. I have 4 friends that've been admitted/interviewed for HLS.

sharktankdean

Postby sharktankdean » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:10 pm

MyLegendLives wrote:
clarion wrote:
operagrl71 wrote:
MyLegendLives wrote:Two are definitely fake. My theory is either that they've held all URMs below 25th percentile to review collectively once they've secured their medians; or alternately that there are disproportionately few URMS using TLS/LSN this year and there have been considerably more offers admission than are reflected on either site.

I definitely feel that many URM admits will becoming in the next few weeks, which is par for the course at HLS. In addition to my comments about URM Yale results, I'm basing my belief on the lower number of URMs on TLS on the fact that the URM 2011-12 applicants thread has half as many posts as the 2010-2011 thread had last year at this point in the cycle. Now yes that doesn't necessarily point to a lower number of URM TLSers, it is possible that there are the same number of people but just fewer posts, but my gut tells me that a huge gap like that has to do at least in part to a not insignificant drop in URM TLSers this cycle. I have 4 friends that've been admitted/interviewed for HLS.[/quote]

You have very smart friends

sharktankdean

Postby sharktankdean » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:18 pm

But seriously...t just seems that Harvard took in the URMs who had great gpas (>3.87) or/and great lsats (170 and above). We cannot really tell what is up with Harvard this cycle. By this time last more more URMs heard back and the rest heard back in March/April.

But i honestly do not think that they consider their medians that thoroughly when they take in URMS. i think they may actually take into consideration the whole app because a good number of urms that get into harvard are splitters or reverse splitters.Their stats are not gonna really help Harvard so i think to differentiate between those on hold they are really gonna look at softs and the entire app.

Also i think the reason why the URM thread is not as long as the earlier one is cuz those of us on here hardly use it. if you look at last yrs thread there weren't that many of them but they spoke alot..for example this thread could have been discussed in the urm thread. that would have gotten the thread more active.

MyLegendLives

Postby MyLegendLives » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:26 pm

sharktankdean wrote:But seriously...t just seems that Harvard took in the URMs who had great gpas (>3.87) or/and great lsats (170 and above). We cannot really tell what is up with Harvard this cycle. By this time last more more URMs heard back and the rest heard back in March/April.

But i honestly do not think that they consider their medians that thoroughly when they take in URMS. i think they may actually take into consideration the whole app because a good number of urms that get into harvard are splitters or reverse splitters.Their stats are not gonna really help Harvard so i think to differentiate between those on hold they are really gonna look at softs and the entire app.

+1

operagrl71

Postby operagrl71 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:23 pm

Looks like we have our first JS1 from the held pile over on the Held at Harvard thread ...hopefully URMs will start to see some movement soon!

amc987

Postby amc987 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:48 pm

operagrl71 wrote:Looks like we have our first JS1 from the held pile over on the Held at Harvard thread ...hopefully URMs will start to see some movement soon!

+1.

sharktankdean wrote:But seriously...t just seems that Harvard took in the URMs who had great gpas (>3.87) or/and great lsats (170 and above). We cannot really tell what is up with Harvard this cycle. By this time last more more URMs heard back and the rest heard back in March/April.

I agree with this, but I'm not sure it's unusual. Harvard takes a lot of URMs because of its size. I think they almost always tend to favor URMs with very high GPAs. Then they consider people with very high LSATs. Obviously they'd prefer to have both, and few of those people have undoubtedly already been accepted, but GPA seems to trump LSAT if they have to choose. I don't think many people who are middle of the road on both things (think 3.5~ GPA, and high 160s LSAT) get in regardless of the year.

boosk

Postby boosk » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:22 pm

amc987 wrote:I don't think many people who are middle of the road on both things (think 3.5~ GPA, and high 160s LSAT) get in regardless of the year.

:(

splbagel

Postby splbagel » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:26 pm

Random observation... the ASW felt overwhelmingly white to me. No idea how significant that is for the cycle overall because it's already a skewed sample of admits so far. Hoping for / expecting more diversity in my 1L class than I saw this weekend.

The actual class I sat in on was extremely diverse, but it was mostly international students.

masked kavana

Postby masked kavana » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:29 pm

As a held sub 25% GPA/LSAT non-URM Latino...

This hurts my heart and dashes my hopes :(
Last edited by masked kavana on Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MyLegendLives

Postby MyLegendLives » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:35 pm

splbagel wrote:Random observation... the ASW felt overwhelmingly white to me. No idea how significant that is for the cycle overall because it's already a skewed sample of admits so far. Hoping for / expecting more diversity in my 1L class than I saw this weekend.

The actual class I sat in on was extremely diverse, but it was mostly international students.

+1 absolutely agree. I chalked it up to the fact that so many URMs are on hold.

sharktankdean

Postby sharktankdean » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:27 pm

splbagel wrote:Random observation... the ASW felt overwhelmingly white to me. No idea how significant that is for the cycle overall because it's already a skewed sample of admits so far. Hoping for / expecting more diversity in my 1L class than I saw this weekend.

lolololol

someone should have walked up to dean soban and asked her "where are the other colors?" i think if someone had done that the urms would have been first to get off the held pile

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:05 pm

I feel like one day soon there's going to be a mass of URM JS1s...and on that day if I don't receive such positive news...I'll probably give up.

JF215

Postby JF215 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:50 am

thelawschoolproject wrote:I feel like one day soon there's going to be a mass of URM JS1s...and on that day if I don't receive such positive news...I'll probably give up.

+1. I wasn't even held though, so I'm not expecting much.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”