Why don't many Hispanics claim "Native American" status

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
emkay625

Re: Why don't many Hispanics claim "Native American" status

Postby emkay625 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:24 am

Even if your school doesn't call you on it, I bet the C&F people would.

hamsamitchguy03

Postby hamsamitchguy03 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:29 am

edi ted
Last edited by hamsamitchguy03 on Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

luuma

Postby luuma » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:32 am

hamsamitchguy03 wrote:Native American means North America right?

Are you trying to say that an indigenous Guatemalan should get Native American status?

Not to debate, just genuinely curious.. But.. If they speak indigenous language, practice those customs, have no personal ties to Latino/Hispanic/Spanish-speaking culture, what else are they suppose to check off?

ood

Postby ood » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:54 am

daniel751 wrote:I might not be right on this but I thought it was because these boosts were designed to help descendants of Native Americans that were directly affected by settlers in what is now the U.S. So technically even if you are Native American it only helps (for law school admission) if your ancestors were ripped off by "gringos" rather than "conquistadors"

My ancestors were ripped of my gringos. The U.S. government took half of our country and failed to recognize the ownership of land by brown people. I believe that many of my people are still being exploited for cheap labor by "gringo" business owners.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:44 pm

ood wrote:
daniel751 wrote:I might not be right on this but I thought it was because these boosts were designed to help descendants of Native Americans that were directly affected by settlers in what is now the U.S. So technically even if you are Native American it only helps (for law school admission) if your ancestors were ripped off by "gringos" rather than "conquistadors"

My ancestors were ripped of my gringos. The U.S. government took half of our country and failed to recognize the ownership of land by brown people. I believe that many of my people are still being exploited for cheap labor by "gringo" business owners.

Yeah damn them for stealing Texas. Still recovering...

This is silly. If you have a tribal affiliation, check the box. If you're simply Latin American, don't. Trying to grab a NA boost w OP's logic could get you in a toooon of trouble

polobull

Postby polobull » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:18 am

luuma wrote:
hamsamitchguy03 wrote:Native American means North America right?

Are you trying to say that an indigenous Guatemalan should get Native American status?

Not to debate, just genuinely curious.. But.. If they speak indigenous language, practice those customs, have no personal ties to Latino/Hispanic/Spanish-speaking culture, what else are they suppose to check off?

This is an excellent point. I've met people in central America whose parents spoke not a word of Spanish--only an indigenous language. Technically they held the same nationality of the Spanish-speaking city dwellers, but clearly they were Native Americans. If my mother came down from the mountains and learned Spanish as an adult I'd be checking any indigenous option I could find.

Mbatter

Postby Mbatter » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:51 am

ood wrote:

I know that's the word spreading through the Southern United States, especially among the Mexicans and Mexican-Americans, but that's not true. Unless of course you are a decendent of one of the Native Tribes within the United States border. The Aztecs were not, nor were the Mayans. The Spanish stole your land. The land that many Mexican Americans believe is 'theirs' actually belonged to the Navajo, Quechan people, Pimas, Apache, Comanche, Washoe, Hopi, etc. The SPANISH invaded THEIR land and said "This is New Spain" and so they invaded this land which was occupied by the previously mentioned tribes (those are just a few of them). At the time, some 'Mexicans' moved onto this land, they represented 20% of the population at the time. So you actually helped the Spanish take land from previously mentioned tribes. Then the US Gov. PAID $15 million to Mexico in the The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, so we didn't 'take' it from you. We did not however honor our agreement of "ensured safety of pre-existing property rights of Mexican citizens" to every single Mexican family - some - but not all. And yes some are 'exploiting' Mexicans for cheap labor, but it must be better money than what they're making in Mexico or they would not keep risking their lives and coming over here and being 'exploited.' So sick of Mexicans saying its their land. Please. If it's anyone's land its the Navajos and Hopis and so on and so forth. And No, since we did NOT hold guns to your head and make you leave the only land you've ever known and walk the Trail of Tears, since it was those tribes that fought bravely for their land, those tribes that we have treated worse than dogs, only THEIR descendants are eligible for any Native American status in College, and/or any help that may follow because of this. A Canadian First Nations member (Native from Canada) is not entitled to what the Natives here are, just like the Tribes here are not entitled to anything for the Tribes in Mexico. They should have more options on thr Census and college applications, for Indigenous Americans from Central/South American so they can check their race, but not take from the Natives of the United States. If you do this, you are only doing what you blame the 'gringo' for and that is 'taking' what is not yours to take.

Rolando4

Postby Rolando4 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:23 pm

Not all Hispanics have native blood. My family is Cuban and we're Spanish and French. There are plenty of blacks, mulattos, Arabs, and even Asians in Latin America. We're not all like Mexicans.

vulpixie

Postby vulpixie » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:10 pm

emkay625 wrote:Even if your school doesn't call you on it, I bet the C&F people would.

You mean the same C&F people who disbarred Elizabeth Warren for blatantly lying about being "1/32" Cherokee? Oh, wait...

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:58 pm

vulpixie wrote:
emkay625 wrote:Even if your school doesn't call you on it, I bet the C&F people would.

You mean the same C&F people who disbarred Elizabeth Warren for blatantly lying about being "1/32" Cherokee? Oh, wait...

Yeah that's a great argument to risk your career on. I'm sure the C&F board will be receptive to that

yesplease

Postby yesplease » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:43 pm

Oh man, I love the misunderstanding Americans have about the complexity that is race in Mexico and the rest of Latin America. I mark Native American and White, not because I want 'points' but because if I didn't, I would be dismissive of a large aspect of my cultural heritage. It's more of a self-righteous thing than anything else really but if anyone were to say I wasn't...well, heads would roll.
Rolando4 wrote:Not all Hispanics have native blood. My family is Cuban and we're Spanish and French. There are plenty of blacks, mulattos, Arabs, and even Asians in Latin America. We're not all like Mexicans.

And you don't think there are black, Arab, Asians, etc in Mexico? Por favor.

Edit: Granted if marking NA would imply a boost then I would most likely explaining my reasoning behind marking both, as I don't identify with White America or US Native American...and end up not marking NA if it meant I was misrepresenting the Native American communities native to the United States...Race relations in the US are iffy at best. :/
Last edited by yesplease on Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:51 pm

hoos89 wrote:Yes but tons of people in other ethnic groups also have SOME native american blood in their background. I'm sorry but in what way is this more legitimate than the person who is 1/8 native american? I think adcomms would see this as disingenuous.

Yeah this is dishonest. It's the same thing as a white person from South Africa claiming to be African American. You can't just claim to be willfully ignorant of the meaning the word has. Sure you may be from Africa and American, but those two things together don't automatically make you African American. In the same way that you may be a native of the Americas, you aren't Native American. The Oxford English Dictionary says of Native American- Chiefly in later use refers to North American Indian.

christinenyoung

Postby christinenyoung » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:52 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:
hoos89 wrote:Yes but tons of people in other ethnic groups also have SOME native american blood in their background. I'm sorry but in what way is this more legitimate than the person who is 1/8 native american? I think adcomms would see this as disingenuous.

Yeah this is dishonest. It's the same thing as a white person from South Africa claiming to be African American. You can't just claim to be willfully ignorant of the meaning the word has. Sure you may be from Africa and American, but those two things together don't automatically make you African American. In the same way that you may be a native of the Americas, you aren't Native American. The Oxford English Dictionary says of Native American- Chiefly in later use refers to North American Indian.

Your definition is for Native Americans. I'd like to distinct that what you report is "American Indian," not Native American.

Not to say there is or is not a distinction, but when it comes down to it - if your lineage is South American Indian, it technically does fall under "American Indian"

andythefir

Postby andythefir » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:06 pm

Really easy reason: natives are .5% of the population, 1.5% if you count native+some other race. Hispanic folks make up anywhere from 10-20% and their relative size is going to get much bigger in the near future. So, in a class of 200 if you have 1 person who is native/native+some other race then you're not falling behind the representative proportions. In that same class you need 20-40 at least to try to make your class representative for the Hispanic population.
Also, natives marry/have kids outside of their ethnic group at the highest rate of any ethnic group. Thus, you have lots of people in the murky 1/4th-1/16th who can fill those 1-2 spots in the hypothetical class.
I think a big picture misunderstanding on this site is that law schools aren't trying to do social engineering when they change the way they deal with the relative races of applicants. They're trying to not get sued when they look around and realize they don't have a single Hispanic person in a class of 600 or a class of 200 has 1-2 black people.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”